Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with Mask
Help with Mask
I use the Amara View mask and this is the only mask i have ever experienced as i am new to CPAP. FOr the last 3 nights i have been having real problems with the mask slipping. I am waking betwen 5-10 times per night to re-adjust. It slips over my bottom lip and regardless how i tighten or loosen a combination of the head straps it doesnt appear to help. The problem appears to have worsened since i increased my pressures. Not only are these slippages effecting my sleep it also means i cant really trust my Sleepyhead readings.

Anyone else ever experienced this and what is your experience with alternative FFM.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with Mask
Fine, I'll say it, Airfit P10, haven't looked back since. Put every other mask I have used to shame. The haters will be by soon to yell at me, but they know I'm right. I'm sorry I can't help with your specific mask.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may need to rig a strap under your chin to pull the side straps down and anchor them.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2017, 02:16 PM)Galactus Wrote: Fine, I'll say it, Airfit P10, haven't looked back since. Put every other mask I have used to shame. The haters will be by soon to yell at me, but they know I'm right. I'm sorry I can't help with your specific mask.

Have to agree. Tried CPAP therapy 8 years ago and gave up because just couldn't get use to FFM. Finally made the decision to make it work and have started back using Airfit P10 with a chin strap. Have been 100% compliant for 7 weeks now. Damn, wish I would have tried this 8 years ago Hammer
Post Reply Post Reply
For me the solution was to adjust the over the top of the head straps so that the top side straps were about 1/8 inch above my ears.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started using CPAP last year it took me weeks to get my mask adjusted correctly.

With assorted suggestions from members here on how it should be, and their comments in response to a photo I posted of me wearing the mask, I finally got it sorted to the point where it rarely needs adjusting once I put it on.. and that only involves re-positioning the whole strap/frame correctly on my head, no strap adjustments. ( sort of like adjusting your cap when it isn't straight )

Looking at the strap assembly on your mask I would think the strap over the top of your head, and the diagonal ones across your cheeks would be the ones that stop the mask from sliding down and would need to be tight-ish... the bottom strap could probably be on the looser side adjustment wise.

But people who have used them would be better placed to advise on that.

It may take you a while to get it set up right, don't despair.
Post Reply Post Reply
Johnboy, reviewing this thread I notice that you didn't say whether your mask is slipping up or down. I think perhaps your jaw is dropping enough to allow your lower lip to slip out. (Hmm, that might be my problem as well.) The mask can't slip upwards because the nose holds it down. If the mask slips down, it will start leaking around the nose, probably into your eyes - you will notice that. The solution to the dropping jaw is a chin strap, either a traditional style, or just joining the lower straps. It probably doesn't need to be one of the big heavy duty straps, just something to remind your muscles not to relax completely.
You don't mention your leak rates, or dry mouth, but look at your SleepyHead data to see if there are any hints there. I see that your pressures are pretty wide open, and I'm pretty sure the Amara View relies on higher pressure to balloon the mask around your nose. Adjusting the minimum pressure closer to your median or 90% pressure (over a period of weeks) may also help the leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,485 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,172 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,679 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,088 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,421 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,822 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,518 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.