Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with Settings for Respironics System One (60 Series) RemStar BiPAP Auto
Help with Settings for Respironics System One (60 Series) RemStar BiPAP Auto
Hello,

I am new to the board and to using cpaps. I'm going to do research to understand things better but I was hoping I might get some help with jump starting things. I have a Respironics System One (60 Series) RemStar BiPAP Auto with a full face mask. 

My diagnosis is - Moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea with minimal Central Apnea and an AHI of 23.1. Patient had

minimal hypoxia with an average saturation of 94% and one short episode of desaturation to 85%.
Patient had no Cheyne-Stokes respirations and an average heart rate of 76 bpm.

I've used the machine twice so far. I have attached a screenshot of the most recent night's data. The other night was similar. I would appreciate any suggestions for adjustments to the settings.

Thanks,
Jay

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with Settings for Respironics System One (60 Series) RemStar BiPAP Auto
Welcome to the forum.
Not a bad start. This machine is running "wide open" and Philips machines algorithm is somewhat slow to respond. This means we like to help the machine to respond to obstructive events. For that increase the min epap to 6 and the min ipap to 9.
You also have significant flow limits and RERAs. These are treated with increased pressure support. To manage this increase the min ps to 3. This also ties into the min ipap which is min epap plus min ps or 6 + 3 or 9.

Try this and keep an eye on your centrals. And see if further adjustment is needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with Settings for Respironics System One (60 Series) RemStar BiPAP Auto
I agree with Fred but think you can go a bit further in light of the fact your median EPAP was nearly 8.5 cm on this chart. Revise EPAP min to 8.0 and PS min to 3.0. This is going to get you much closer to the "zone". On your charts, you can turn off VS2 which is not a very helpful metric at this point, and will help clean up the charts to see more of the important stuff.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to adjust the settings and am now a bit confused. I understood the posts above to suggest

Min IPAP 9
Min EPAP 6 or 8
Min PS 3

However my machine only lets me set MAX IPAP. Am I missing some way to set the MIN IPAP?

It also has a MAX PS. Should MAX PS be set at highest setting?

Thanks again for all of your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Min IPAP was a setting shown in your chart it is min EPAP + PS so don't worry about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see, that calculates automatically. 

Thanks again to both of you for the help. This is a bit challenging to get started with. I look forward to having time to do more research and understand things better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made the adjustments above. For 2 nights I skipped using the ramp feature and my AHI jumped from about 4 to over 10. I used the ramp last night and it went down to 4 again. My thought was why not use full pressure the full time but that logic didn't seem to hold up. My understanding was that the ramp feature was about comfort not efficacy. Does it actually play a role in making it work better the rest of the night?
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you help us out with a chart so we can see what's going on?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The good news is that I used the ram feature and did a better job of mask fitting and my AHI dropped to 2.13!

I've attached a chart in case anyone has more suggestions but honestly, I'm thrilled with this. Thanks for all of the help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,522 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 2 47 Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Bipap VAuto Settings Help Please jonoc99 5 157 04-12-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 116 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 228 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inspire system JThammer 15 389 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,857 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.