Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I am getting ready for my new titration sleep study. A little history. I was dx with OSA about 3 years ago. I had suspected it for a while but sort of fought getting tested. Dumb, I know but it was an ego thing. Unfortunately, I was not savvy. I know that I had a moderate score when side lying but more mod-high when supine and was given a res med elite 9 with a full face mask. I used it for about 3 mos and gave up. I did not feel more rested...it seemed to disturb my sleep more. At times, I just felt like it was forcing more air into me than I needed. I felt like I was choking on air. I had a heated humidifier but experienced rain out in the tubing (did not know about the heated tubing and the DME did not tell me) so I was always afraid water would flow into me at night. I also got a pressure ulcer on the bridge of my nose from the mask--just 1 night of use. I had previously had a tonsillectomy and I have chronic allergies. My left tonsil grew back so after the 3 mos, the insurance paid for a repeat tonsillectomy and uvelectomy. I tried cpap a few times after my surgery but my throat was so sore, I could not tolerate it. Since then I was also fitted for oral repositioning device by my orthodontist after referral from my surgeon. That seemed to help for a while but I am now having symptoms again. I had a home sleep study which showed fewer episodes (more mild to moderate at least on my side which I have trained myself to sleep) but more severe 02 desats...into the low 80s/upper 70s at least. I have not seen the full report but will request that tomorrow. I want to go in educated and armed and know what to ask for. I think I would do better with a machine that would auto titrate. My current machine was paid for outright by a different insurance company 3 years ago and I am not currently using it so I may be elgible for something new. I am not sure. What would be your advice on how to proceed? I was also born with some craniofacial abnormalities (so why OSA was not suspected when I snored loudlly as a child?!?) that make me have a small airway to begin with. To complicate things, I live in one state and my insurance is a carrier in another state and from my understanding the claims are processed by the state of residence BCBS providers.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie
Hi agundla2k,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions and much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy for the second time around.
Good luck to you at your next sleep study.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie
I really wouldn't worry about the logistics of filing a claim with them for a new cpap machine. BCBS has always treated me fairly; I've had them as my insurance company since 1987.

As for the machine, I'll leave that answer to whomever comes after me, as my S9 will be five years old in January and I'll probably be looking for a newer, up-to-date, machine myself. Personally, I like being able to check my own stats; but, in all truthfulness I rarely do so. And I only see my sleep doc when I need a new script for machines and supplies. I think he works under the principle that as long as I don't need him, he doesn't need to see me.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 111 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 501 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 189 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 285 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 264 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.