Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with cleaning and infections
RE: Help with cleaning and infections
Hunty, if you are not using a heated hose, hoses are pretty cheap. I've bought 4 authentic Respironics hoses from ebay for $20 delivered. Buy several hoses, and when you clean one, swap with one of the other hoses and let the cleaned one dry for a week or so.

In addition to other washing, you can hook the hose up to the water faucet and run hot water through it for a while. I have an old CPAP machine that I use to dry my hose after my weekly cleaning.

Get a new mask or mask cushions as often as your insurance will cover, and keep the old ones until you have a good stock of spare parts. Wash and disinfect them the old ones and put them in a "clean and sit dry" cycle like I suggested for the hose. Ditto on the water tank. Be sure to get the "dishwashable" water tank, even if you have to buy it online for $30 or so.

I dishwash my mask parts and water tanks. Dishwashing the hose is tricky because the water won't flow through the inside of the hose properly.

I believe the antibacterial filters that go on the hose are intended for a single nights us in hospitals and sleep labs. After using for one night, they'll be essentially a wet sponge and I would think they'd tend to grow bacteria if you use them more than one or two nights.

A lack of humidity may tend to dry out your lungs and make them more susceptible to infections. It's also possible that too much humidity causes problems, too.

Some mask parts can be dropped into boiling water, but turn off the heat first. Drop in the parts, and leave them till the water cools. Try it on a spare mask or spare mask parts first, in case your mask isn't "hot water" safe. Hoses are a little more sensitive to hot water, but most of them can take 70C water for 30 minutes to kill off a lot of germs.

BTW, even boiling water doesn't actually kill ALL types of terms, but it will kill of most types of germs. That's why you need a pressure cooker for canning food, or a pressurized autoclave for medical equipment sterilization.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your post! It's all great advice! I've already started making some changes based on the feedback I've been getting. I especially like your recommendation to have multiple hoses to let the "just washed" ones hang out to dry! I had been putting them on the machine without the humidifier to blow the water out. Not doing that anyway... happy pap ping.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2014, 01:06 PM)Hunty Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 07:20 AM)comatose Wrote: Hi again Hunty, it just dawned on me that upper respiratory infections and pneumonia are often caused by mold, it might be good idea to have a look around your home.

eg. rising damp, roof leaks, moldy plaster, leaking shower screen, leaking pipes inside cupboards, the mold could be under floor coverings tiles ect. some people can be very allergic to mold.

Hi.. Thanks for your posts! I keep my unit on the nightstand so shouldn't be any carpet or vent critters. I had no mold that I know of in my house and nothing noticeable where I live now. I guess I just need to keep my doctors looking into these issues.

We'll! Guess what? You suggested checking everything for mold? THIS IS GROSS, But my Refrigerator ice maker is covered in black mold! I think this is the true culprit! I owe you many Thanks! I've been using the ice cubes in my drinks. I've been to the doctors and hospitals and I think that mold has kept me sick. I'm so very grateful to you. Now I can go about getting well once I get maintenance to address this issue!

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2014, 07:20 AM)Hunty Wrote: We'll! Guess what? You suggested checking everything for mold? THIS IS GROSS, But my Refrigerator ice maker is covered in black mold! I think this is the true culprit! I owe you many Thanks! I've been using the ice cubes in my drinks. I've been to the doctors and hospitals and I think that mold has kept me sick. I'm so very grateful to you. Now I can go about getting well once I get maintenance to address this issue!

Hunty it is the airborne spores from the mould that cause the problem, the ventilation on your ice maker is likely an excellent dispersion device for these. Legionnaires disease is spread in a similar manner.

I sure do hope this is the problem, best of luck Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
Hunty here is some info on toxic black mold, you might not have that variety so it might be a good idea to get it analyzed so you know for sure what you are dealing with.
http://blackmold.awardspace.com/black-mo...oxins.html

You may need to clean it out of your body also, you might get a few pointers from here.
[commercial website link removed per Apnea Board rules]

If this does help you it will be interesting to see how your sleep apnea responds.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2014, 07:52 PM)comatose Wrote: Hunty I was just doing some online shopping and I came across a CPAP bacterial filter at supplier # 10, here is the blurb

"Philips Respironics In-Line Outlet CPAP/BiPAP Bacteria Filter

This filter is used to help alleviate allergy symptoms and deliver the cleanest, freshest air possible. If you suffer from allergies you know that allergies and CPAP don't mix well. This Respironics manufactured bacteria filter cleans the air as it leaves the machine and it does this without reducing the pressure at your mask. Some bacteria filters will make you have to re-calibrate your CPAP machine because of the pressure being reduced. With the Respironics in-line outlet bacteria filter no calibration is needed.
This bacteria filter has a universal CPAP tube connection on each end. This makes it compatible with all CPAP and BiPAP machines and masks. Please note: This filter will work with brands other than Phillips Respironics.
It is recommended that this filter be replaced every 4 to 6 weeks."

The problem with those bacteria "traps", and you have to really read to find it, but if you have an integrated humidifier, you cannot use them. If you put that thing on you hose after your humidifier, the minute the humidifier kicks in the moisture makes the filter completely useless. The only way to use one of those would be if you were using no humidifier or if you had a separate humidifier that you run a hose from your blower to the humidifier and you put it between that.
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,797 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 609 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 759 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.