Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with data reading
Help with data reading

I got 2 hours of good data. It looks good to me. 
My setting: 
APAP 4-15
AFLEX 2
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with data reading
The question is why only 2 hours sleep?  Have you been using these same settings since April and your AHI could be improved with some small changes.

First, look at your median and 95% pressure numbers, as that is where your minimum pressure should be set, especially when using a Respironics machine as they are slower to react to apnea's than a ResMed.

Also, the Flow Limitations are high.  Look at your pressure chart... see the pressure rising to over 8 trying to tackle the events. The machine can't do its job with a low pressure.

I would suggest setting the minimum pressure to 7cm, Flex at 2.   This should help bring down that AHI number.

Can I ask...do you feel air starved with a pressure set at 4cm?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not been using these settings since April. I've been struggling to fall asleep with it, then having allergy issue and still have some pressure in my ear if i swallow which makes me take of the mask and clear my sinus and space between the ear/nose/throat. Once i got that under control I was having so many CAs I was waking in panic and was not able to fall asleep for long. I change the flex from 3-2 and that reduced the CAs and panic but then made it hard for me to sleep with the pressure again. 

Long story to say that last night I got to sleep but took it off after 2 hours because I wanted to make sure I wasn't having all those CAs. Got up this AM checked the DATA and it looked good. 

I agree the starting pressure is not sufficient, however I'm the opposite of starved for air, i feel like in over inflated balloon and I can't get to sleep at all with higher starting pressure. I like the dreamstation, because it kinda sneaks the pressure up after i'm asleep and doesn't wake me doing me. I guess one could say i'm sensitive to high pressure and by high i mean 6. 
So 2 hours is my success story.  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
You mentioned feeling like an overinflated balloon...... does that mean you are swallowing air?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think i'm swallowing air. I think it's just too easy to breath. It feels like what it is, an pump blowing air up my nose. lol. I think when i breath normally, asleep or awake, i have a moment of nothing between inhaling and exhaling. The APAP kinda takes that away. I feel like if i'm not exhaling i'm immediately inhaling. No moment of nothing.
How can i tell if i'm swallowing air?
I doubt i am because i can't really swallow without my inner ear getting inflated and that's very uncomfortable so i try not to swallow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to gain a concept of the pressures we are working with try this.
Get a tall glass of water and a straw.
Insert the straw and pretend you are a kid again and blow bubbles. Silly I know but do it.

With the straw at 8 inches of depth it takes 20 cmw of pressure, the max that a CPAP can produce and double the 10 the average person uses.
Thjis is not saying that you do not have a problem, just that all the pressures we deal with are real, real low, even the really "high ones".
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh i understand pressure. I get psi, I know what CFM is, and I know what CmH20 is. But it wouldn't matter even if i didn't. Understanding how much pressure something is won't change the way my body reacts to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are right, but it can change the way you react to 0.28 psi or less and that is a start.
Post Reply Post Reply
        I got more hours last night, but the machine woke me with pressure increases and i woke twice with CAs

You can see at one point i had an obstruction, the pressure palse didn't work as i have another obstruction right after, then a CA. 

I'm not happy with last night at all. AND i'm so tired this morning would have done better without the machine on.
Community is people helping each other overcome some adversity. Sometimes it's a hurricane, other times it's a monopolist industry that benefits from keeping people in the dark about their own medical data or scaring them into thinking they aren't capable of managing their own treatment. Thankfully people will always develop community no mater what the adversity is. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't be happy with that either!

Are you willing to try this? Set you minimum pressure to 4.5 for a couple days. It won't make much of a difference in your apnea's, but hopefully you won't notice the difference in pressure.

Then turn it up to 5cm for a couple days. Repeat this until you reach 6cm. If you take it slowly, you might be able to tolerate it better.

If you continue to stay at a minimum of 4cm, the data is not likely to change, nor how you feel... which is more important.

Look at the statistics... you are already sleeping with a higher pressure. A median pressure of over 6 and a 95% reading of over 9. Respironics machines need a little help in tackling apnea's, as the machine won't react fast enough when the minimum pressure is so far below where it needs to be.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 20 991 03-08-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 237 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Help reading Oscar Charts Wisurid 3 385 12-25-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Would like some help reading my OSCAR data dynamo 13 669 12-08-2023, 11:38 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Low Tidal Volume reading rhwoe 8 741 12-04-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: rhwoe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.