Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with getting the right mask fit
RE: Help with getting the right mask fit
Hello, PhoebeAnn. In addition to the leaks, you are seeing an AHI that is much too high. Would you start a new thread and ask for review of this same chart?

And do you know the position you were sleeping in during the period when you had that boatload of events? Maybe on your back? Or curled up in a ball on your side? I’m wondering if you might be tucking your chin down toward your chest. Wearing a soft cervical collar could give you a lot of help if that’s what’s going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the P10, the weight of the hose will displace the mask. I use a simple velcro strap on the hose clipped to my pillow. works like a champ. Grab a badge lanyard, or a ribbon, loop around the hose then safety pin it to your pillow.

Also start another thread for critical review as you have obstructive clusters indicating you are tucking yout chin. The goto fix is a soft cervical collar so check out the link in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2020, 09:57 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Hello, PhoebeAnn. In addition to the leaks, you are seeing an AHI that is much too high. Would you start a new thread and ask for review of this same chart?  

And do you know the position you were sleeping in during the period when you had that boatload of events?  Maybe on your back?  Or curled up in a ball on your side?  I’m wondering if you might be tucking your chin down toward your chest.  Wearing a soft cervical collar could give you a lot of help if that’s what’s going on.

Will start a new thread; thanks.

I'm almost always curled up on my R side, possibly chin-tucking but wasn't aware of it. Will post last night's results -- with cervical collar -- in the new thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally decided to go with a FF mask to avoid the chin-strap issues. Tried a few of them, settled on the F20AirTouch. First night was promising, 2nd night not so much. I'm attaching an image of the Leak Rate from Oscar, and I have no idea why things change. I got up 3 times to pee, and took the mask off each time to drink some water. As far as I can tell, I put it on the same way each time (using cervical collar as well), slept on my R side, it felt the same, my wife says I was quiet all night, but there's an enormous difference in leak rate.  Wazzup?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it is possible to diagnose the problem from the leak line. Can you try duplicating the situation when you got up those three times to see what went on? For example, if you were working in the dark when you re-positioned the mask after the drinks of water, could you try putting your mask on with your eyes closed, then see if you can spot a problem?

I guess the other advice would be to avoid removing the mask during the night if you possibly can, though if your mouth was getting very dry, I do understand the urge to sip some water. I think some people use a straw in those circumstances and just sneak the straw under the edge of their FFM. Might be worth trying.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I do everything in the dark, no problem putting the mask on, I go through the same drill every time. But the straps could well be under different tension, and I think this is very important. As for water, this mask has a big hole in front when you take the hose off, so I think you could get a straw in there easily. I do notice that the mask doesn't maintain the seal if I wiggle my face around at all - like closing my mouth or letting it fall open. I'll give it some more time.
Post Reply Post Reply
After trying 12 different masks, I've settled on the ResMed F20AirFit (Large), which seems to satisfy my criteria:
1) Comfortable - the silicone seal exerts less pressure all around than the memory foam on the AirTouch did, and the Large size covers my nose and mouth so that  my mouth is never exposed as I toss around or switch from mouth to nose breathing
2) Quiet - air is delivered directly to the nose and mouth, although it's much quieter breathing thru the mouth
3) Easy to doff and don in the dark - after some experimenting, it's not too hard to land the magnetic clips on their pads, even with no finger strength
4) No large leaks - large variability, which I don't fully understand, but no reported Large Leaks for the last 3 nights.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It's great to hear you've found the right mask for your face and your sleep habits -- congratulations! That can be a long and winding road.
Post Reply Post Reply
Long, winding, with plenty of potholes and speedbumps. 4 nights with zero large leaks, and an O2 level of 97% this morning, at the expense of a sore nose -- they need to pad out the crease over the bridge a bit. Now to figure out what all the rest of the numbers mean.
Post Reply Post Reply
One place to start would be this nifty glossary:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Definitions
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,630 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,309 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,872 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,111 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,447 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,881 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,592 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.