Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with getting the right mask fit
RE: Help with getting the right mask fit
A product called Remzzs may help pad the nasal bridge area. Supplier #1 and others should carry these. Or there's homemade padding variants. You probably want something that's going to act as a cushion but not create its own leak issues.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that I can order masks and other things online without going through a DME at all, provided you are willing to pay for it. The only thing you can't get that way is the machine itself, for which see the Supplier List.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2020, 11:30 AM)Dormeo Wrote: One place to start would be this nifty glossary:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Definitions

Yup, already did that, so I know what they say. Now to figure out what they mean Smile.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2020, 11:54 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: A product called Remzzs may help pad the nasal bridge area. Supplier #1 and others should carry these. Or there's homemade padding variants. You probably want something that's going to act as a cushion but not create its own leak issues.

I just got a postcard from Supplier #1pushing something called Snugz Mask Liners. Checked on another site, to find they were very pricey, and the reviews were mixed at best; one reviewer said he was "going back to Remzzs".  That prompted me to check out the listing for Remzzs. Reviews were much more favorable, but one thing I noticed that's worthy of the back page of Consumer Reports: a couple in bed smiling at each other, with a tag line that said: "Finally, a comfortable nights sleep for you and your partner." Neither one of them was wearing a mask. Also much less pricey. I may try the Remzzs, but I'm going to start with a Band-Aid.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2020, 06:33 PM)PhoebeAnn Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 11:30 AM)Dormeo Wrote: One place to start would be this nifty glossary:

Yup, already did that, so I know what they say. Now to figure out what they mean Smile.

If you want to pick a few that especially interest you and ask some questions that the glossary doesn't answer, I'd be happy to try to help, always supposing I knew myself....
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2020, 07:05 PM)Dormeo Wrote:
(04-16-2020, 06:33 PM)PhoebeAnn Wrote:

If you want to pick a few that especially interest you and ask some questions that the glossary doesn't answer, I'd be happy to try to help, always supposing I knew myself....
  Great. There goes tomorrow Smile thanks. One that comes to mind immediately is:

Tidal Volume - The amount of air that passes in and out of the lungs in an ordinary breath. Usually expressed in liters.

Once in a while I'll concentrate on taking huge breaths for a couple minutes to see what my "tidal volume" is. Doesn't seem to ever show up on OSCAR's chart. Does OSCAR recognize that these are not "ordinary" breaths and ignore them?
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, you had to start with a tough one! Looking at my own graphs, I think the TV measures at a given time represent a rolling average over a short period of preceding time. Try doing you deep breaths for, say, a minute and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually take 10 deep breaths, which is a minute or so. I'll try to make it to 2 minutes tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was going to merge the Glossary's definitions into an annotated daily Report to keep as a reference for all my Dailies, and I just noticed -- I lucked out, in that Tidal Volume was one of the (only) 3 charts whose headings were defined in the Glossary. You can make educated guesses about the others, I suppose.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best solution I've found so far is the ResMed N20 Air Touch. As supplied, the Small is clearly too small, the Medium is just right until I relax my jaw, at which time my mouth opens below the bottom of the mask, and the Large rides up, going over the bridge of the nose, which a) leaks, and b) irritates the nose. By putting a small patch of cotton (a .22 cal cleaning patch works well) in the crease at the top of the mask, I can avoid those two issues and the mask is comfortable, and doesn't leak much (see image). If I wiggle my jaw or nose around I can generate leaks, but over the course of the night it seems to be OK.

2 sessions in this graph: afternoon nap (without patch), and overnight (with patch).

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,212 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,424 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,833 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,530 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.