Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with interpretation
Help with interpretation
[attachment=22526][attachment=22527][attachment=22526][attachment=22527]I have been trying out a Resmed Airsense 10 for a few weeks with the intention of buying one. I tried to to read up on the various guide but is having difficult understanding it. Would be most grateful if someone could have a look at my data and offer some advice on:
1. Would I be able to achieve an AHI of 5? And what do I need to do to get there?
2. I am using f20 full face mask and I am reasonable comfortable with it except when the pressure setting is 20. I get leak, loud noises and the lower mouth guard fall into my mouth.
3. I have tried a large size f20 and an f30i, is there another mask I should tried that are likely to solve my leaking problem?

Thanking all in advance,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with interpretation
Welcome to Apnea Board. Let's see if we can get you on the right track including answering the questions.

Make sure you have the CPAP manual for your machine.

Also study the Mask Primer.

Just a quick tip on the mask, you should consider Pillows, nasal, then full face in this order to attempt to get the least invasive and least area of areas that can leak. Some have need of full face masks due to uncontrolled mouth leaks. You must choose the right sized cushion for your mask, and you have to adjust the straps correctly to minimize leaks. Tightening till it hurts is never the right answer by the way.

A 5 AHI is the least you should expect from your therapy. You should be able to achieve 2-3 consistently if you were given the right machine and you have mask fit and leaks well controlled. Anything above 5 is not going to help you rest well and healthy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi.  I use my eyes to flick up and down the charts page, the first one, and the first thing I take note of are the events, if they cluster, and if they happen concomitantly with flow limitations.  In your case, a guy at the back of the room shouted BINGO!!

Then, I look over at your 'tombstone data' at the left margin and see what your settings are.  The first one, a minimum of 4, is quite a bit too low for all but the most masochistic among us.  You should be at least as high as 6, and perhaps 7 would be a good start.  Also, if you look over the 'average' height (related to pressure) of what wavy chart with the two significant peaky places, you seem to mostly be okay at around 12 cm, maybe as high as 15...we'll see in the next week or so.

Up at the top, you see clusters of events.  That usually happens during the deepest stages of sleep where we are fully relaxed and some bad things happen to our heads and necks.  If we roll over onto our backs, but it can also happen on our sides, we let our chins fall toward our chests and begin to pinch the airway.  You'll get flow limitations and the machine will ramp up the pressure in response.  Also, when we sag into the deepest sleep, we can deflect our masks, or deform them from contact, and the result will be a leak.  Again, the machine attempts to compensate, and it'll do well until a certain engineered limit.  

All this to day you might profit from the use of a soft foam cervical collar.  There are many suppliers, including local department stores and medical supplies outlets.  And, of course, on line.  They can be intrusive at a time when your sleep, or problematic experiences with the machine and sleep, are already giving you fits.  However, you will get used to them.  And they mostly work, which is why we recommend them.

You'll get other more specific advice before long.  Please wait for others to offer their opinions and observations.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Mesenteria and will add you need to change your ramp parameters of 4.0 cm for 45 minutes. That prevents you from getting any effective therapy for the first 45 minutes of each session. You didn't include the flow rate chart, but I can imagine it is a mess during ramp. Please increase the minimum pressure to what you tolerate, change the time to Auto or turn off Ramp. Once you are adapted to CPAP therapy, you will not need ramp.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your advice. I increased the pressure to 6 and used an old neck collar for part of the night and managed to get 3.10. Very happy with that. Thank you again!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,178 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
Smile How is my OSCAR data looking? Help with interpretation deirdrepen 3 228 02-29-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent sleep - OSCAR interpretation dadjackets 2 267 02-21-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AutoSV data interpretation assistance needed PappaJoe 21 687 02-11-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 362 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help with flow limitation interpretation Clementine39 6 446 01-14-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.