Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with making sense of the data
RE: Help with making sense of the data
(04-13-2016, 05:03 PM)JSL747 Wrote:
(04-13-2016, 04:32 PM)mikenz Wrote: Thanks sdb7802 for your suggestion, what I'd really like to know is how you came to your conclusion for those settings?

I've read the long thread about the dangers of DIY adjusting pressures, so i'd like to better understand the data for myself.

- and also, do i do the adjustments incrementally over a period of time (if so - how long) time, or just reset them in one go?

Thanks for your input,
mikenz

Not telling you to change anything, just things to look at

1) your min pressure is 5 and your Med Pressure is almost 9, your having large pressure changes

2) large pressure changes can cause CAs, but so can high pressure...just depends on the person

3) EPR will 1 from 3, where yours is set may lower CAs

Thanks, JSL, I agree.

Just to clarify my rational:

min = 9 (from my past experience, your min of 5 is just too low, it won't prevent OSA, 9 is your median)
max = 14 (adds some headroom to your max from the graph and is generally safe)
epr = 1 (larger values may cause CAs, probably not critical in your case)

These settings are generally safe and I would do it in one shot.

Also these settings are close to what works for me.

Just a suggestion.

Edit: (oh sorry OpalRose, I didn't see your post) Mike listen to her!

Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mikenz,,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
JustMongo

How about a little more detail on what your saying about
CO2 washout. CO2 is the primary respiratory drive during sleep.?
please explain

(04-13-2016, 04:05 PM)justMongo Wrote: It would be helpful to see your mask pressure along with your event graph.
Most troubling are the clusters of central Apnea (CA.)
I see you have your EPR set to 3. You might have fewer CAs if you reduce EPR. EPR at 3 will reduce expiratory pressure by 3 cm-water.
That can cause CO2 washout. CO2 is the primary respiratory drive during sleep.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
co2 is the primary respiratory drive, awake or asleep. well, actually it's more your blood ph, but co2 makes it more acidic, you breath harder, co2 blows off, you breath less hard.

the main thing that happens when you take a bunch of deep breaths then hold your breath isn't a big change in oxygenation, it's a large reduction in co2, and when the co2 builds back up, you get that near uncontrollable desire to gasp for more air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes thank you to all of you for your input, I just need to get my head around all the new info, there is a fair bit lot to take in, especially when brain function struggles at times. I'll post some more data when I am able.
Thanks, mikenz
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 05:29 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I would leave the maximum pressure alone for now due to the fact that there are a few Clear Airways. These usually clear up after awhile.

Thanks for your input - that is really helpful. I was confused about the graph pie chard with "CA" - "Clear Airways", is this the same as "Central Apneas"?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 09:24 PM)mikenz Wrote: "Clear Airways", is this the same as "Central Apneas"?

yes

it's pedantic, brace yourself, Mike
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 10:18 PM)sdb7802 Wrote:
(04-13-2016, 09:24 PM)mikenz Wrote: "Clear Airways", is this the same as "Central Apneas"?

yes

There is a subtle distinction in meaning... Central Apnea implies that the machine (or somebody) has determined that the central nervous system didn't trigger the breath. Our machines can't do that. Clear Airway says only that there was no obstruction and no breath, our machines can determine that. One identifies a cause, the other names the symptom.

It is sort of pedantic...Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 10:29 PM)pholynyk Wrote:
(04-13-2016, 10:18 PM)sdb7802 Wrote:

yes

There is a subtle distinction in meaning... Central Apnea implies that the machine (or somebody) has determined that the central nervous system didn't trigger the breath. Our machines can't do that. Clear Airway says only that there was no obstruction and no breath, our machines can determine that. One identifies a cause, the other names the symptom.

It is sort of pedantic...Thinking-about
to be even more pedantic... "clear airway" is a respironics made up term... if you google it, and -respironics, you get a handful of hits, mainly people on forums asking if clear airway is the same as centrals.

resmed, and, I believe, everybody else, including the medical community, uses "central"
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 09:24 PM)mikenz Wrote:
(04-13-2016, 05:29 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I would leave the maximum pressure alone for now due to the fact that there are a few Clear Airways. These usually clear up after awhile.

Thanks for your input - that is really helpful. I was confused about the graph pie chard with "CA" - "Clear Airways", is this the same as "Central Apneas"?

Yes, Clear Airways or Central Apneas = same thing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 603 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 589 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 173 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 356 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.