Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure
Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure
[attachment=17097][attachment=17096] Thank you Apnea Board for your previous help. At a recent visit to my lung Doctor I told of the help I had received from AB and she encouraged me to use your help and suggestions.

About  three weeks ago I changed my mask for a F+P Simplus to a Resmed F30.
A had a good response with easier breathing and relief from  aerophagia  with its bloating and cramps. 

I see from my Oscar charts my mean air pressure has dropped from around 19.9 to 15.5 cm ( see below). So I assume that this relief from aerophagia has come from the drop in pressure.?

I guess the increased pressure with the Simplus mask could be due to the side pressure that this mask puts on my nose and restricts the nasal passages.
Hence my question, to clarify where the CPAP machine measures the air pressure. Perhaps the machine measures  pressures at different parts of the breath cycle then assigns them to EPAP, IPAP and Mask  pressure.

While I have had a good result from the F30 mask I see that the pressure and leaks are climbing and indicates to me that the cushions may not have a long life.
Cushion here in Australia are expensive . By comparison the Simplus cushions appear to be much more durable. So I may have to find other ways to reduce nasal restriction from FF masks or accept the expense.

Assuming that my high air pressure was causing  the aerophagia and this high air pressure was the response to to the nasal restrictions from the Simplus mask,

Does anyone have any suggestions how can I  fix the nasal restriction from the mask or is there another mask I could try.?

I tend to mouth breath and try not to sleep on my back due to positional apneas.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure
The CPAP machine measures the pressure at the pressure sensors, located inside the machine. Adjustments can be made to the reading to account for losses along the hose, but that is just a small correction that goes away anyway if you have a machine that auto-adjusts the pressure. I think this adjustment is just a gimmick.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 82 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 97 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 511 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 150 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.