Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thank You Apnea Board Members and OSCAR
Thank You Apnea Board Members and OSCAR
I have a good sleep doctor.  I have to see him every year to sign a form permitting me to drive for another 12 months.  This I don't mind--doesn't cost me anything and he is kind of neat to talk to.  Today I took my husband in for a first appointment.  He has been using a CPAP for 5 years under the VA--had a home sleep study then.  After procrastinating for a long time I finally downloaded OSCAR and downloaded his SD card (Resmed S9 Autoset I think) after he reported a huge jump in AHI for 2 nights. He had been on CPAP 12 for all 5 years.  I changed him to APAP 8-14 then APAP 9-13 since CA could be a problem.  The doctor didn't immediately jump into a full overnight sleep study but said to set the machine at 12.  That let me ask why, when I had my titration, did they used straight CPAP, not APAP.  He ran the latest day from the card and it showed 13 max.  He then decided after we had a conversation about APAP, to use 13-20 and find out the highest level needed.  I'm to watch that CA's don't go up--they have settled down at 13 recently.  I figure I won a small victory here--with what I've learned here and just today reading how to determine the age of his machine from the serial number we figured out how long he has used his CPAP.  I took screenshots of the days has AHI went crazy and printed them out to show him--first time doing a screenshot and OSCAR made it so easy..  He was impressed and just gave me the info to change his settings since he knew I knew how  He also had me change EPR from zero to 3.  Since I'm not familiar with Resmed machines will see how that works.  My original Rx had me at A Flex 3 which I didn't like.  Nice to have a doctor that is good to work with and great to have folks on this forum who will help when needed!  Almost forgot--he will do a 2 night home pulse-ox test before his next appointment in a month.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Thank You Apnea Board Members and OSCAR
It sounds like your doc is a real keeper. Congratulations on taking charge and working with your doc - it will achieve the best outcomes for you and your husband.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats Banana
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on having a decent doc. Success to you both.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us see you graphs after you change EPR some people with CA’s find it increases them so keep an eye on them
Post Reply Post Reply
I really like that you have a good doc. But around here we consider 13 to be quite high. Post your OSCAR charts so we can help with your next conservation with your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2019, 08:34 AM)bonjour Wrote: I really like that you have a good doc. But around here we consider 13 to be quite high. Post your OSCAR charts so we can help with your next conservation with your doctor.

Probably an over-active spell-checker, but I think you meant to write  "...we can help you with your next conversation..."

But heck, if you're on a budget, conserving on doctors is probably appropriate.  Bigwink   Too-funny

...sorry, couldn't resist...  yeah, I'm in a "wise-guy" mood today.   Grin

Lookin' for anything that tickles my funny bone lately... Whistle
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I deserve that
Post Reply Post Reply
Super Sleeper, I blame spell check on that spelling goof! I blame spellcheck on that one! bonjour, I goofed on the setting--it is 12-20. I know about CA's and told the doc I would watch carefully if they increase. His last few nights before the change had been running about 13 most of the night. He did great with the changes last night--didn't get up once which is a miracle, and had a 1.38 AHI. His pressure stayed near 12 all but once--amazing according to older charts, He had 2 CA's about an hour before he got up and he did say he remembered thinking about heading for the bathroom but went back to sleep. He is a notorious breath-holder so this was probably sleep/wake junk and he turned over. Thanks all who commented for your interest and support, including DeepBreathing who was helpful when I first decide to take control of my husband's CPAP use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2019, 03:54 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Super Sleeper, I blame spell check on that spelling goof! I blame spellcheck on that one!

I know... I know...

I tried to issue a 10% warning to myself for being snarky.  Problem is the software won't let me warn an Admin.   Dont-know

Lucky break for me, I guess.  Grin
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 612 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,318 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 481 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  [Mod Note] Attention Advisory Members - Vote Now Sleeprider 1 285 02-27-2024, 04:11 PM
  [Admin Note] Members-Only FILES SuperSleeper 13 399 02-16-2024, 06:28 PM
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 326 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.