Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with my results - leaks, low AHI, mouth tape
RE: Help with my results - leaks, low AHI, mouth tape
I use 1/2 inch wide Johnson & Johnson medical tape. I don’t tape my mouth like most people.
Most people cover the whole mouth from corner to corner. I found out that placing 1 piece about 1” long, vertical , in the center of my mouth accomplishes the same benefit for me.

Just close your mouth and tape in shut. Right in the center. That’s enough incentive for me to keep my mouth shut through the night.

When it’s time to remove it, just use your tongue and push on it . I also have a beard and mustache and do not experience any problems with the tape not holding.
Post Reply Post Reply
something like this? (on amazon)

CKeep Kinesiology Tape (2 Rolls), Original Cotton Elastic Premium Athletic Tape,33 ft 40 Precut Strips in Total,Hypoallergenic and Waterproof K Tape for Muscle Pain Relief and Joint Support
Post Reply Post Reply
Does this mean the tape is working? compared to my other screens without it and all the leaks? How much of a difference is this making?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You had NO large leaks, looks very good.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2023, 08:02 PM)staceyburke Wrote: You had NO large leaks, looks very good.

awesome, just another lifelong thing i gotta do =/ man this really sucks

Thank you for the help though, truly
Post Reply Post Reply
If you were previously using the 1" 3M Micropore, I've found that generic store-brand equivalents are slightly weaker to the point where I don't have any issues when taking them off while still being strong enough. I've recently switched to 2" Micropore applied horizontally as I would need several vertical 1" strips to fully cover my mouth but I unfortunately don't think there are any generic equivalents the 2" version so it's been causing some issues for me. Appreciate the tips everyone has given on how to gently remove the tape and I'll try out cover roll if the issue continues.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to mouth tape for a while, then tried a full face mask and hated both....  I learned something one of the people on the board I read about on this site.  They called it  tongue sucking.  It is very basic you put your tongue at the top of the mouth and suck it back just a little bit.  It blocks off air coming out of the mouth and no leaks.  It took me several months before I learned to keep it there during sleep.  I practiced every time I could think about it all day long.  And finally I trained my self and my mouth leak was gone.  Try a search on it here and see what you can find.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2023, 08:06 AM)staceyburke Wrote: I had to mouth tape for a while, then tried a full face mask and hated both....  I learned something one of the people on the board I read about on this site.  They called it  tongue sucking.  It is very basic you put your tongue at the top of the mouth and suck it back just a little bit.  It blocks off air coming out of the mouth and no leaks.  It took me several months before I learned to keep it there during sleep.  I practiced every time I could think about it all day long.  And finally I trained my self and my mouth leak was gone.  Try a search on it here and see what you can find.

woh! that sounds a bit dangerous. no concerns swallowing your tongue or anything?
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, resting your tongue as described, right behind your front teeth is a very natural position.  Try it, it shouldn't feel unnatural.  I can't see how this would be dangerous.  I do it mostly but I think there is times my jaw relaxes along with my tongue and if it wasn't for mouth tape, I would be screwed.  I use this silcone tape from Amazon.  The most comfortable tape I have used.  Super easy to take off and you can usualy reuse it a couple times.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGYFMJN8?psc...ct_details

I also started using the Cover roll stretch tape as others have mentioned but although held really well, also made it harder for me to remove and only using it a couple times, left my lips not feeling very good so I switched back to the silicone tape.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9JFBBY?psc...ct_details
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2023, 10:46 AM)tierdal Wrote: woh! that sounds a bit dangerous. no concerns swallowing your tongue or anything?

Not only have I never heard of that happening, it's probably not possible.  Rolleyes

Read:Tongue Trick
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whats wrong with mouth breathing? johnathanb76 2 62 6 hours ago
Last Post: johnathanb76
  Feel WORSE after getting Leaks under control - hopeless HarleyGirl63 10 262 Yesterday, 09:15 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  cant seem to get stable results after 1 yr Mr Pink 8 187 Yesterday, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question [Pressure] Intermittent leaks on my AirCurve 10 Daniel5584 2 82 04-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Maybe UARS? Overnight Ox Results Nospoons 2 102 04-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Nospoons
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 132 04-24-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 4 289 04-23-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.