Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with my stats please!
RE: Help with my stats please!
(04-12-2014, 12:09 PM)robysue Wrote: Your profile shows that you are already using a full face mask. You need to reread the fitting process carefully. Make sure the straps are snug, but not tight. If the mask uses an air cushion (like all the Quattro masks), you need to fit the mask while you are laying down in your sleep position and with full pressure --- as in 15-17 cm NOT 8cm. The cushion must be able to fully inflate in order to seal well, and overtightening the straps will prevent that. If you are using an air cushion mask, check out JanKnitz's fitting tips in her blog entry Taming the Mirage Quattor

Also make sure your face is both clean and dry before you put the mask on for the night. This may mean that you need to wash your face well before bedtime. If you have a heavy five o'clock shadow of beard stubble, you may also need to shave in the evening too.

JanKnitz's tips are great and directed especially at the Mirage Quattro. I would like to issue a word of caution. The common consensus for air cushion masks is the oft repeated not to tighten the headgear too much. I think it makes some of us a little too tentative when it comes to the Mirage Quattro. The Mirage Quattro is a beast that needs to be tamed with some degree of firmness. Another thing about my Mirage Quattro is that the headgear tends to relax some during the night so the fit is looser in the morning than it was when I put it on at night.

I have not found any difference in leakage whether I am freshly shaved or my beard is three days old but that may just be my whiskers. I do have a short goatee which is present all of the time. It is logical to think that whiskers would interfere with the seal but I have found that with the air cushions it doesn't make as much difference as one might think. I have tried several different masks with air cushions and none of them have leaked where the cushion crossed my goatee. Even the nasal mask where the bottom cushion went all the way over the mustache part of my goatee did not leak there. This may all depend on what your particular facial hair is like, so it is probably best to test it for yourself.

I am not disagreeing with Robysue's comments, just amplifying some of them a little.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 367 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 347 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [CPAP] Oura Ring Sleep Stats with CPAP FooMan 2 1,151 01-13-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Chask
  OSCAR - computing stats for subsection of night confinedmind 6 417 01-07-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,506 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  oscar stats-need help teamarliss 2 393 12-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: teamarliss
  Wisp stats mousetrap 6 3,554 09-08-2023, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Lucky7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.