Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with pressure settings
Help with pressure settings

Hello there
I am totally new in using a Cpap machine and need some direction. Did recently a sleep study because my husband said I was snoring too much and my result are that I have a mild sleep apnea and the Doctor raccomend a Cpap machine with nasal mask with auto pap max pressure of 12cm/h20 and an auto pap min pressure 4cm/h20
Needing to pay out of pocket I went online and did some research and decided for a Resmed auto set S9 for her machine and a Resmed swift fx Bella mask. I also purchased a heated tube for the humidifier.
I was able to sleep with it only a couple of hours at night because the high pressure of the air in my nose will wake me up and was not able to go back to sleep. I tried to call the store were I purchase it but they are closed today.
Any suggestions? Should I change the setting to Cpap instead of auto? Should I change the pressure setting? I only have 7 more days to be able to return the machine in case I cannot use it and so I need to decide soon if I am able to use it at all.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with pressure settings
Welcome
Request the clinician's manual via email:
Drill down from here: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

You might try setting the ERP (Expiratory Relief Pressure) to 3; that will make it easier to breath out.
Many people cannot tolerate the machine starting as low as 4 -- they feel like they're not getting enough air.
My amateur opinion is to set the MIN pressure to 6 and to leave the MAX at 12.

PAP can be difficult to become accustomed to at first. Most of us went through a phase of adjustment.
Stick with it.

BTW -- I didn't think there was an S9 model "for her" I thought they started that for the 10 series.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully you got the clinician manual with your machine that shows how to change settings. If not, you can get a copy from the forum Click Here.

For Setup Instructions with pictures, click here. Plug in machine and turn the Push Dial until the device is showing the Home position (Home Icon illuminated). In Home position, press the Push Dial and the Setup Menu buttons down simultaneously for 3 seconds. The clinician menu will appear. Select parameter(s) you wish to modify with the Push Dial (push down to select, turn to modify). When done, select the Home choice again from the displayed menu, push down the Push Dial again and the adjustment is saved.

Now, your machine settings are set on the minimum pressure of 4.0 cm to 12. You will need to increase the minimum pressure so it is closer to your therapy pressure. This will help the machine and may prevent it from going higher. A minimum pressure of 6.0 should help, but also turn on the EPR (exhale pressure relief) for better comfort.

The sense of pressure will go away soon, and it is just a matter of getting used to the new feeling. You will soon want software to see how effective your therapy is, and to know what the machine is doing. Without that, we don't know what the pressure was, or if you had mask leaks. Sleepyhead software is free here. http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Good luck and welcome.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2016, 11:19 AM)Fioredificodindia Wrote:

Hello there
I am totally new in using a Cpap machine and need some direction. Did recently a sleep study because my husband said I was snoring too much and my result are that I have a mild sleep apnea and the Doctor raccomend a Cpap machine with nasal mask with auto pap max pressure of 12cm/h20 and an auto pap min pressure 4cm/h20
Needing to pay out of pocket I went online and did some research and decided for a Resmed auto set S9 for her machine and a Resmed swift fx Bella mask. I also purchased a heated tube for the humidifier.
I was able to sleep with it only a couple of hours at night because the high pressure of the air in my nose will wake me up and was not able to go back to sleep. I tried to call the store were I purchase it but they are closed today.
Any suggestions? Should I change the setting to Cpap instead of auto? Should I change the pressure setting? I only have 7 more days to be able to return the machine in case I cannot use it and so I need to decide soon if I am able to use it at all.
Thanks

Hi Fioredificodindia,
Agree that your starting pressure is too low at 4. I would also use the EPR setting of 2. This is a comfort feature that will help you to breath out easier.

Keep your settings on Auto and give it a few days. Try wearing your mask with machine on while sitting up watching TV or reading.

In no time, you will get used to it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2016, 11:30 AM)justMongo Wrote: ...
BTW -- I didn't think there was an S9 model "for her" I thought they started that for the 10 series.

S9 "for her" is pink, but otherwise the same Big Grin because you know the wymynz lurvvvvv the pink! Bigwink
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fioredificodindia,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,550 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 362 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 314 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Smile pleasse help me optimize my APAP pressure settings Swsch2985 2 361 01-14-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Help interpret OSCAR for best pressure settings 444zane3 3 400 01-11-2024, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.