Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Seeking advice as to whether continue use - OSCAR reports included
Seeking advice as to whether continue use - OSCAR reports included
Hello! In advance, thanks so much for how helpful and supportive this community is.

Earlier in year, I got diagnosed with mild sleep apnea (attached), rating me at ~4 AHI overall and 20 AHI during REM.

I have been trialling a ResMed Airsense 10 Auto for the last month or so. I tried a range of masks, settling on the N20 as the most comfortable compromise, and have been taping my mouth overnight with 3M Micropore tape due to mouth breathing.

I am unsure yet whether I am feeling better or if it is having a significant positive impact. It's certainly not the most comfortable experience, it's a hassle to refill the humidifier tank all the time, and while my partner is okay with it I think they'd rather I didn't have it if needed. So, before I go down the road of spending a lot of money on a machine, I would very much appreciate some opinion as to whether it looks like my experience with the machine (as reported in OSCAR) is a sign that I should continue with this therapy, or if it's not severe enough to do so.

My doctor started me at 4-20 range, and I have changed that on a whim to 4.4-15 based on OSCAR readings.

I have included my OSCAR overview and my most recent night sleep - please let me know if any other screenshots would be useful!

Thanks so much in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seeking advice as to whether continue use - OSCAR reports included
Despite using a tape I detect severe mouth leaks. For me, 3M Micropore wasn't strong enough; I'm using Flexomull stretch.

Set pressure from 7 to 12 and switch to response "soft".
Post Reply Post Reply
[deleted]
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to fix the leaking before anything else can be determined. The periods of high flow limitation and high pressure both occur when your leak rate is high, so we have to eliminate the leaks and see if that is the cause.

I suggest you switch to a full face mask.

Your appearance to your partner is secondary to your health. We'd all rather be free of this affliction so we don't have to wear all that gear. But sleep apnea will ruin your life if left untreated.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on that chart you do need it BUT it is currently not optimized for you. Your flow limits are too high.
Your worst leaks appear to be mouth leaks, flat tops and reduced amplitude in the flow rate chart but you also have mask leaks, the sharper more pointed tops to the leak chart.
The most common causes of mask leaks are the mask doesn't fit you well or it is too tight.

Do set your min pressure to 7 to best utilize your EPR as a treatment for your flow limits, RERAS, and hypopneas.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,805 5 minutes ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 298 8 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 176 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 869 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 179 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.