Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with respironics system one
Help with respironics system one
Good evening and thanks for reading this.  I am having trouble with humidity/dryness when I use this machine. The water level does go down but I wake up dry and take the mask off for the night daily.  It's a full face mask.  I am wondering what settings may be the best for humidity for this machine?  

It did work well when I first got it but I cannot get enough humidity any longer. 

Thank you for any suggestions
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with respironics system one
If you have the heated hose, set it on 1 and your humidity in setting not the knob to 3.

If you don't have the heated hose get one.

Check you leaks also. High leak rate will use water but the airflow is to fast to get much humidity 8n the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does your furnace also display humidity? Or do you have a humidity control in your home?
If the air is very dry, you might find using a humidifier in dry times helpful.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for your reply.

I do have a heated hose but was told to turn it off because it can strip the humidity from making it through.   Is that wrong?  I will check the settings for humidity but I think I set it to 5 (not on the knob, in the menu). 

If you wouldn't mind, I'll post where my settings are and maybe you can tell me if they need adjusting.  

As for my home, we do have a humidifier set up for the heating system.  I will have to check on that to make sure it's running but in general, with the heat on, the house is dry.

I run a large humidifier on my nightstand though to compensate for this.

Thank you both for your replies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2017, 12:41 PM)Philipg33 Wrote: I do have a heated hose but was told to turn it off because it can strip the humidity from making it through.  Is that wrong?  

That is incorrect.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2017, 12:41 PM)Philipg33 Wrote: Thank you both for your reply.

I do have a heated hose but was told to turn it off because it can strip the humidity from making it through.   Is that wrong?  I will check the settings for humidity but I think I set it to 5 (not on the knob, in the menu). 

If you wouldn't mind, I'll post where my settings are and maybe you can tell me if they need adjusting.  

As for my home, we do have a humidifier set up for the heating system.  I will have to check on that to make sure it's running but in general, with the heat on, the house is dry.

I run a large humidifier on my nightstand though to compensate for this.

Thank you both for your replies.

Who in the world told you a heated hose removed humidity?  What it does is prevent it from condensing on the wall of the hose.  For your machine, you can use either the System One Humidity settings, which are automatic, or manually adjust humidity and the hose temperature.  Using System One, you can use settings 1-5 and it will self adjust the heated hose to maintain the humidity, with 5 being more, and 1 less.  That's not a bad starting place.

In Settings, go to SystemOne humidification and verify it is ON, then set the humidity at 1 through 5. 

Higher humidity settings are possible with SystemOne humidification set to OFF.  If you turn SystemOne OFF then adjust the humidity setting manually, but you must use higher hose temperature settings with higher humidity settings.  Humidity of 3 and hose at 4 should be warm and moist in manual mode.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome Sleep Rider.  I will try that tonight!!!

As for who told me about the hose it was the help desk person at the company I got the machine from who I don't have the name off hand but they are in CA.  The name is on my machine at home so I'll have it tomorrow.  But that is who told me. 

I will try your setting recommendations tonight.  Thank you very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have that exact machine .
Here is how it works.

System one mode where the knob has a 1 thru 5 humidity setting and blue wave indicator.
In this mode the heated hose is OFF and does not function or sense anything. The machine sensors are all that are functioning not the one in the end of the hose. Same mode it would be in with a non heated hose.
This is System One Mode using only machines humidity sensors to avoid rainoyt same as SYSTEM ONE humidity mode did in the earlier 550 series that could not use a heated hose. I have both machines.
You get less humidity in this mode.

System one plus heated hose plugged in mode. Default when a heated hose is plugged into the machine.
Wave indicator is yellow, knob settings are 1 thru 5 but now are heated hose temp settings.
To adjust humidity settings you must enter settings and choose 1 thru 3 3 being the highest.

The latter is the default mode the 560 machine will enter when you plug a heated hose into it. You have to turn off the heated hose in settings to have just System One More (blue indicator) to function with an attached heated hose.

Quick check,, blue indicator you are running in System One humidity mode using only machine sensors with no hose function or hose humidity sensor function, same as a non heated hose on a 550.

Yellow wave indicator, your heated hose is on all machine sensors functioning plus heat for hose and mask humidity sensor in the end of the hose.

Max humidity if you can take that much warmth is heated hose on max hose temp 5 and max humdity setting 3.

Warm air carries more moisture than cooler air and setting of 5 in heated hose is something like 8 degrees above ambient temperature.

Personally a hose setting of 3 on the coldest nights is too warm for me.

But in a nutshell turn on heated hose, set the knob setting at the highest you can tolerate and in settings humidity level of 3.

That gives you everything the machine can put out humidity wise in any mode it has.

Set running heated hose mode I can't imagine anyone needing more humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that Ghost. It's been a year since I used my System One unit and I had it wrong. Thanks for clearing it up.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2017, 10:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Thanks for that Ghost.  It's been a year since I used my System One unit and I had it wrong.  Thanks for clearing it up.

YW.
  It's easy to get this stuff mixed up when dealing with different brands of machines.

I mostly only deal with my 560, and wifes 550 all the time so it's in my face constantly.

And literally LOL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,614 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,054 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,095 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 377 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 230 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.