Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI increase? UARS Titration help?
RE: Help with settings for BIPAP? (UARS)
I agree with Gideon, but will give you a link to read. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP This is one of several wiki articles we have on flow limitation. While they respond somewhat to pressure, it is pressure support (the difference between inhale pressure and exhale pressure) that treats the flow limitation which is the root cause of UARS. Pressure support is the increase in pressure as you inhale that counter-acts the upper airway restriction and results in a normal respiratory flow. If you do have UARS, pressure support is the answer, and PS 4 is the standard starting point.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2021, 07:59 AM)Gideon Wrote: If this is a used machine, please perform a factory reset to make sure all settings are in the default setting.  You have no way of knowing what the previous user has done.

Mode: Auto
Min EPAP=6
Max IPAP=20
PS=1

These are different from the above  because I want to see your Flow Rate curve to look for flow limits with a minimal amount of support.  PS=4 will minimize any flow limits. This is to confirm your assumption of UARS.

Hint, as a stomach/side sleeper try to keep your mask over the edge of your pillow.

What is the basis for you calling it UARS?
The typical tell is a high RDI and a low AHI.  Your sleep test, unless I missed it, did not address RERAS.

Charts
Use F12 to take your screenshots, it removes the calendar and pie chart thus presenting us with more data.

Always include a full night screenshot as it provides context plus data

Also provide several random 3-minute zoomed segment screenshot as this will allow us to check for flow limits, the root basis of UARS.

So I wasn't able to fall asleep for various nights, but last night I finally fell asleep with the mask on. I only slept around 35 minutes and woke up unable to breathe. It was similar to what happens when I sleep normally. I will randomly wake up unable to breathe. Then I start to breathe again and I'm fine. It was concerning though since I was using the machine and I don't think this should happen. I'm wondering if it was due to the PS being low? Or something else? Should I now change it to 4? Going to try to look at the data from the SD card now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing can be concluded without seeing the data. Your bilevel machine will not breathe when you don't spontaneously try to breathe. It can only follow your effort and make breathing easier. This kind of machine has no backup rate and cannot treat central apnea. If you are not breathing because of obstruction, then the EPAP min needs to be higher to keep the airway open. The solution to your sense of being unable to properly breathe depends on whether your airway is obstructed or open.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2021, 09:30 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Nothing can be concluded without seeing the data. Your bilevel machine will not breathe when you don't spontaneously try to breathe. It can only follow your effort and make breathing easier. This kind of machine has no backup rate and cannot treat central apnea.  If you are not breathing because of obstruction, then the EPAP min needs to be higher to keep the airway open.  The solution to your sense of being unable to properly breathe depends on whether your airway is obstructed or open.

Here is the data from last night. Again, only around 30 minutes unfortunately.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing in the data. Respiration looks normal, no events, flow limitation is not shown.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2021, 03:39 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Nothing in the data. Respiration looks normal, no events, flow limitation is not shown.

What would you recommend I do? Continue like this? Someone told me to lower the pressure 6 - 11 and raise the PS to 3. But I'm not sure if I should give that a try or continue as I am until I have more data. I just don't think the settings are right if I woke up because I stopped breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI increase? UARS Titration help?
I'm a new user of BIPAP. Diagnosed with UARS.

I had it set to 6 - 14 and PS of 3 (following what someone told me on here). Then someone else told me to try 7-10 because they said the range was too large. So I did that, and the first night my AHI was 1.50 (a bit more than the other nights at 0.9) but the second night it was 3.80 and I felt horrible the next day. I only slept an hour with the machine on, and then woke up and took it off.

What should I do? Trying to titrate myself since I have no doctor here in Mexico who can help.

Post Reply Post Reply
BIPAP Titrate for UARS
I am wondering if someone can look at this (especially flow rate) and tell me what I could change. I have tested various settings and this is what I have noticed:

I seemed to sleep longer with EPAP at 7, PS 3, and IPAP at 10, but I did not feel any relief whatsoever and the flow rate seemed to show flow limitations on inhale.

When I had EPAP at 8 and 9 it made me feel like I had air bubbles inside my lungs and throat. Would this indicate it needs to be lower? Do I just need to get used to the air bubbles or is it something actually detrimental for UARS? 

I am trying to figure out where to leave EPAP. Then deal with IPAP and PS from there....

I've attached last night's data. EPAP 6, IPAP, 11, PS 5. I slept very poorly and only for an hour.

My BIPAP is the Aircurve 10 VAuto from ResMed. I feel like the mask I used gives me leaks (nasal pillows).

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BIPAP Titrate for UARS
I don't have an answer, but advise that you update your profile to include your CPAP and mask name and type.  To help, I am including a link to your profile edit options.

Quick link to:  UserCP - Your Profile - Edit Profile
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BIPAP Titrate for UARS
What evidence is there for a diagnosis of UARS?  Please note, I don't doubt you... just wondering how it was diagnosed.

You have no apnea, no reras, no Hypopneas.  There are no Obstructives showing, so no reason to raise Epap.  I don't see much FL, although chart is hard to read.

When you post a chart, please use the link in my signature line to guide you as far as Organization of the chart.
Use the F12 key (on a Mac, Fn+F12) to take a Screenshot.

You can try a lower PS setting and see if that lowers the CA's.  Try a setting of 4 for a few days.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 0 19 1 hour ago
Last Post: Daveman
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 946 8 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 159 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 63 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 621 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.