Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with understanding "Leak Rate"
Help with understanding "Leak Rate"
Need input on a problem I'm having with leak rate. I use the P10 nasal pillows (Sleeprider was right, resistance was futile), a chin strap, and I tape my mouth so no air can escape. Never have a problem with dry mouth. Although my leak rate is under the 24 L/min that is recommended it seems to get close to that on many nights. I've also noticed in my charts that during the first 1-1.5 hours or sleep I don't have any leaks and if I wake during the night for a pit stop when I go back to sleep for the first 1-1.5 hour it's all good again. I normally sleep on my back but I'm wondering if I happen to roll to my side, if that could be when the leaks start. Hose management is great and it never pulls on the mask and the large pillows seem to fit just right. Wondering if anyone can see anything in my charts that might give a hint as to what's happening.

[Image: Pst33l0t.jpg]

[Image: VsJxWPit.jpg]

[Image: aUKLL8ot.jpg]

[Image: HfkilT2t.jpg]

[Image: heBKuSat.jpg]

[Image: AfDbEDpt.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with understanding "Leak Rate"
Hey, Cranberry Ray. I hope someone has some insight to share. I experience something similar and was wondering about it.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
Although Cranberry Ray hasn't been on for awhile, I have to say it looks more like mouth breathing to me.
Using a "soft" cervical collar may help. It can keep the neck aligned, and the mouth/jaw from dropping while you sleep.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cranberry Ray said he taped his mouth. So it's probably not mouth breathing. My guess is it's from side sleeping.

I am able to sleep just fine on my back. My P10 doesn't leak.

However, a few days after I first got the P10 I experimented with sleeping on my side. For me it was a disaster. The P10 constantly leaked around my nose. That's because the elastic wouldn't hold the pillow tight enough to my nose to keep it from happening. The air flow around my nose kept waking me up. I'd adjust the mask and it would be OK for a few minutes and I'd fall back asleep and I would wake up again within a half-hour or so.

When I'm on my side, one half of the elastic is tightly held between my head and my pillow. The other half of the elastic just can't keep the P10 pressed up onto my nose tightly enough.

I didn't try to make the elastic tighter. I already occasionally experience some slight discomfort on my nostrils from the pillows in my nose. Tighter elastic would quickly become uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although the leaks don't look that excessive, sleep can be disrupted when moving or turning on your side and your mask moves.  

The secret is wearing the straps properly.  The bottom part should be pulled down to the occipital bone area and the top strap at the crown area.  From there, you can adjust and be able to tell if it's too tight or too loose. Also, using the mask fit check feature helps.

If the straps are stretched out, wash them in hot water and let dry.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
the resmed has a 25 l/m major leak and counts mask/mouth leak.. the dreamstation is probably around 50 and counts normal vent leak and mask/mouth leak as a total
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks  Aha!  Turns out my leaks are well within acceptable range, and are likely from when I change sleeping positions.  Thanks to all.  This forum has been a huge help to me.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
One other small thing that might make a bit of difference is to make sure you wash your face thoroughly before bed to remove any oil etc thereby helping your mask have a tighter seal. This makes a difference for me.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 6 66 1 hour ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 9 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.