Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with waking up needed
Help with waking up needed
Hi there, 

To date I have been on cpap for 21 days and have been increasing my pressure slowly to stop myself from waking up, but I'm starting to realize I'm out of my league here in terms of understanding the data and my hope is that someone on this forum is kind enough to lend me a helping hand.

The problem is that in spite of having a good seal, pressure and comfort I still wake up every night with a racing heart and my oxymeter is showing oxygen drops with heartrate increases.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with waking up needed
Just raising your pressures is not going to help. You need to keep the pressure down.

EPR is exhale pressure relief and it subtracts from the min to allow you to breathe with more comfortable.

I would suggest a min 8 max of 11 and EPR 3

Give that a try and I think you will sleep better.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with Stacey. Let's see how this goes.

Also 21 days is not enough time really it can take months and months to feel better. Waking up a few times is fine. You have to think of it as better over time. If you were waking up 8 times. If it goes down to 7 then that is a victory. As long as you slowly get better its a victory..
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
First I want to express my gratitude for anyone trying to help, very much appreciate it. Used 7.8 auto ramp instead of 7 probably can turn that off anyway for now on EPR3, pressure 8 min and 11 max. It made a positive difference in comfort and breathing, sadly after only 3 hours I was wide awake on the other side of my bed which doesn't usually happen. 

No idea how I traveled that far. Decided to take my sleep medicines to try to fall back a sleep, got another 6 hours with some wake ups in between. 
I see the point of waking up 5 times is better then 8, but I do hope we can get it to 0 or am I a fool believing that? 

What's up with those leak rate spikes. Is that the new nasal mask? fwiw I did the mask seal test and tested it, had a very good and comfortable seal. 

Last night's data:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Should probably have mentioned this, but did a sleep study w titration, but the titration was cut short as I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep anymore by that time the pressure was 9cm. I've attached the summary and last page of titration stats. Doctor put me on 10-20cm to begin with, EPR on ramp only. 

Summary: 

Titration: 

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2021, 08:49 PM)PeakyO2 Wrote: No idea how I traveled that far. Decided to take my sleep medicines to try to fall back a sleep, got another 6 hours with some wake ups in between. 
I see the point of waking up 5 times is better then 8, but I do hope we can get it to 0 or am I a fool believing that? 
You are doing fine.  Most of you AHI appears to be treatment emergent centrals.  These will go a way in time.  

Yes there will be a time when you sleep through the night.  There also will still be times when you dont.  Its never going to be perfect.  Dont look for everything to be 0.0. 

What medication are you taking to sleep?  What is the reason for taking it?
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Zolpidem as treatment for insomnia, I just barely slept before learning it was sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a desk job for over 20 years and have had this issue for a long time.   The best sleep I ever have, with no interruptions or wake up events, is on days where I do a couple hours (or more) of manual labor or exercise.    Not eating for a few hours before bed can help a lot as well of course (metabolism spin up from eating).   My wife uses sleeping pills a lot, but I generally view most use of sleeping pills as a symptom cover crutch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes Sleep Hygiene is very important.

Read through these and put into practice as many as you can.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Sleep_tips

How long have you been taking the sleep aid? What ideas do you have that cause you insomnia?
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Is a nasal mask like the eson 2 the right mask to use when suffering from Nasal Valve Collapse? Going to test some masks tomorrow, and thinking I should add a FFM to my collection. I have pillows that seemed to work well, but they caused nose sores, letting the skin recover and need an alternative in the meantime.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 10 143 28 minutes ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,533 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 100 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.