Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with weight losses effect on AHI
Question 
Help with weight losses effect on AHI
So after two weeks with a CPAP that gave me no feedback, I'm now 30 days in with my APAP. I'm 53 and morbidly obese. Without therapy I didn't have the energy to get off my butt and exercise, but times have changed and I've lost 17 pound in 26 days.

Last night I didn't get to sleep until 4am so I slept in. Other than a leak late in the evening, I had an exceptional night...

[attachment=1632]

I was wondering if some people here could share their weight loss experiences and how it effected their AHI numbers. I know this was one night, but maybe last night really was some kind of break though.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with weight losses effect on AHI
Let us (me) know the secret to your weight loss!

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 12:09 PM)foss Wrote: Let us (me) know the secret to your weight loss!

Jeff

It's no secret - its having discipline in what you eat and how you burn it. Dropped fried foods, most sweets and dairy except some skim milk on cereal occasionally. Try to eat out as little as possible and when you do eat half and take half home for another meal (Do not order a larger portion you cheaters!). Moderation..

Sodium is a huge issue too. Never add salt to restaurant food and try Dash instead of other seasonings at home.

I don't diet - nothing is off the list, but I change the way I eat to a healthier lifestyle.

Then try to exercise 45 minutes a day. I can only do sessions of about 12 minutes right now but I do a couple a day. If it hurts you back then stop, but keep at it. In a couple of weeks your body will start to adjust, then raise the bar slowly.

Set many goals in small increments rather than one large one and when you evaluate how your doing rely on more than just a scale. I splurged for both a Fitbit Surge watch and their Aria scale. My resting heart rate has also gradually decreased 10 bpm - that's 14.5%!

Just do it - and then do it again. When you have a setback get over it and have the discipline to fix it. I didn't get like this overnight and the fix won't be that way either. Lost 70 pounds in 6 months two years ago before falling off the wagon. I think my apnea was a big contributor to that fall.

Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the weight loss!!

When I am on Weightwatchers or FitBit tracking I loose weight.. Just be aware of what you eat with no limits except overall intake and exercise.. Lost 40 lbs last year from a max of 380ish (stress eating during wife's cancer treatments and comfort eating too) Getting ready to go back to WW meatngs and start Fitbit tracking (which also tracks movement during sleep) and hope to lose another 50 in the next year.. I know my APAP is picking a lower pressure than I had prescribed by 4 most of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 12:59 PM)wordjoy Wrote: Congrats on the weight loss!!

When I am on Weightwatchers or FitBit tracking I loose weight.. Just be aware of what you eat with no limits except overall intake and exercise.. Lost 40 lbs last year from a max of 380ish (stress eating during wife's cancer treatments and comfort eating too) Getting ready to go back to WW meatngs and start Fitbit tracking (which also tracks movement during sleep) and hope to lose another 50 in the next year.. I know my APAP is picking a lower pressure than I had prescribed by 4 most of the time.

So with 40 lbs lost you dropped 4 cm/h20 in median pressure? Congratulations!!!

Thanks for sharing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 01:20 PM)jumpinminnow Wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

I have been 14 on CAPA for the last two machines since intitial sleep study and DR didn't see anything in old machine data to change that.
New DR agreed on my request to go to APAP.. I changed out my older hose and mask.. and it is running at the low end 10 of my 10-18 setting. I think I was probably about 365 when I did the sleep study I am 340 now..

So some is weight.. Some of it I think is training my body to sleep better.. but am going to adjust the lower range for a few days then go see the DR with the new data to confirm.. ongoing settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 01:28 PM)wordjoy Wrote:
(07-26-2015, 01:20 PM)jumpinminnow Wrote:

We're about the same weight, but I'm at 17cm...ouch!

Thanks for sharing.

I have been 14 on CAPA for the last two machines since intitial sleep study and DR didn't see anything in old machine data to change that.
New DR agreed on my request to go to APAP.. I changed out my older hose and mask.. and it is running at the low end 10 of my 10-18 setting. I think I was probably about 365 when I did the sleep study I am 340 now..

So some is weight.. Some of it I think is training my body to sleep better.. but am going to adjust the lower range for a few days then go see the DR with the new data to confirm.. ongoing settings.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the good advice jumpinminnow. I am trying! Two of my sons are both losing weight following a regimen pretty much as you describe.

I just need to develop will power. I love sweet stuff with my coffee in the morning, mostly at work. I do much better at home.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 02:00 PM)foss Wrote: Thanks for the good advice jumpinminnow. I am trying! Two of my sons are both losing weight following a regimen pretty much as you describe.

I just need to develop will power. I love sweet stuff with my coffee in the morning, mostly at work. I do much better at home.

Jeff

If you didn't care about your health you wouldn't be here. Just do more today than you did yesterday...good luck. Anyone else with "I lost this many pounds and reduced my median pressure x?".
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 02:00 PM)foss Wrote: Thanks for the good advice jumpinminnow. I am trying! Two of my sons are both losing weight following a regimen pretty much as you describe.

Jeff

find "good enough" substitutes..and controlled portions..
Mayo I hate light Mayo.. but Canola Oil Mayor is fine Lower Cals and healthy oils

I find using portion control like Ice-cream bars I do better than scoop up ice-cream.. Redi Whip on coffee is only 15 cals and gives a little sweet etc.

If I think about it a good ham on whole wheat satisfies me as much as a Big Mac.. Small candy bar does as well as full sized.

that is me but it is a hint.. key is choosing not "depriving" we always resist depriving.. but make a choice where you have personal permission to eat either thing. Fit Bit Flex app on phone scans barcodes had voice search and large database makes tracking easy.. So choose a sweet with morning coffee and an Apple in evening

Hint recent study showed people who moved to higher fiber with no other changes lost as much as those on a strict American Heart Association Diet. Weight Watchers Points Plus counts ZERO points for Fresh fruit and Vegetables.. So I do my FITBIT the same I track Fruit as ZERO calories.. If I used up my Calories or points .. Grapes, Peach , apple with cinnamon all take care of me until bed.

But I choose the fruit vs deny myself Ice Cream.
Its all in the head and weight loss can reduce OSA a lot when I get to 250 lbs I will look into the treatments that shrink back throat tissue as a possible cure AFTER I deal with weight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 150 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 271 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 694 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 557 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 597 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Lower auto pressure while loosing weight? tottbjorn 3 616 06-05-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.