Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help would be greatly appreciated
Help would be greatly appreciated

Hi I recently got a watchPAP one test and would love some help understanding the results.

1 why could I have such worse numbers sleeping on my left side?
2 the numbers during rem cycle seems proportionally worse- is that regular?
3 I seem to wake up immediately at the end of each rem cycle. What does that mean?
4 I started wakeing up every 1.5-2 hours a night (end of rem cycle I guess), very suddenly about 2 months ago. I went from sleeping through the night to waking up 5 times a night. Is there a specific thing that can cause the apnea to start waking me up?
5 I would have expected my heart rate and oxygen numbers to be worse with a ahi of 72?  Thought average oxygen at night over 90% is normal. And hr 61.

Have been browsing this forum and it's really really amazing what's going on. So many amazingly capable people giving real help. wow!!!

Would really appreciate help understanding my apnea. I have been using a cpap for the last week and it's working v nicely. Ahi about 1 the last few nights. Will post a Oscar screenshot when I have a computer.

Thank you very much.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help would be greatly appreciated

Post Reply Post Reply
I would trust the heart rate and oxygen saturation data coming from your watchPAP and possibly even the sleeping position, but that's about it. I would trust the CPAP data. Properly post your OSCAR charts and we can better answer your questions.

Until then ... a lot of weird stuff happens to our mind and body as we adapt to CPAP therapy. All the better reason to take that wait and see approach.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A large number of apnea while sleeping on your side is probably what we call positional apnea, and in your case it happens while in a fetal position on your left side...you tuck your chin and cut-off the airway. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
last 3 days oscar. still getting used to putting on the mask well. think its too tight so i ordered a larger headgear hope that will help..... i turned the pressure down also to try to get less leaks..  my resmed 11 apap came today so will be interesting to see what the apap sets the pressure to......

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2022, 02:52 PM)Tiz12 Wrote:

Hi I recently got a watchPAP one test and would love some help understanding the results.

1 why could I have such worse numbers sleeping on my left side?
2 the numbers during rem cycle seems proportionally worse- is that regular?
3 I seem to wake up immediately at the end of each rem cycle. What does that mean?
4 I started wakeing up every 1.5-2 hours a night (end of rem cycle I guess), very suddenly about 2 months ago. I went from sleeping through the night to waking up 5 times a night. Is there a specific thing that can cause the apnea to start waking me up?
5 I would have expected my heart rate and oxygen numbers to be worse with a ahi of 72?  Thought average oxygen at night over 90% is normal. And hr 61.

Have been browsing this forum and it's really really amazing what's going on. So many amazingly capable people giving real help. wow!!!

Would really appreciate help understanding my apnea. I have been using a cpap for the last week and it's working v nicely. Ahi about 1 the last few nights. Will post a Oscar screenshot when I have a computer.

Thank you very much.

1.) It looks like most your O2 drops are when you are on your back, not when you are on your left side, the only time sleeping on your back didn't drop your O2 was also the only time it showed being in deep sleep and not light or REM. On your back it was dropping to lower 80s while on your left it was only dropping to lower 90s, so while I think you misread that if you think the left is worse ingoring that it can be as simple as maybe your muscels on one side or the other get more relaxed then the other and that would be why one side could/would be worse then the other, again it looks like your O2 dropped more on your back and not on your left but still answering the question regardless.

2. I can not personally answer that seeing as I don't have any experience in that area but if I had to make a guess I would guess that is normal seeing as my data my apneas and thus O2 levels look way worse as I am going to sleep and right before I wake up than any other time of the night probably because it is at a stage where the brain is shutting down functions but before all the sleep functions get booted up and so would possibly be why the drops happen more durring that state. But again I have no experience in that area so that is just a wild guess and not to be taken as advise.

3. Same as 2, I do not have experience in that but my assumption would be how the sensors determine deep/light/REM that as your O2 drops it starts waking you up which would raise you up to REM right before actually waking up in order to reset your breathing, again that is 100% a guess but it is a guess that makes logical sense.

4. Probably for the same reason most people would have similar experiences, think of it like running a car on extremely low oil, the car will run perfectly fine for quite a while without showing any symptoms but as more and more damage is caused to the engine then more and more symptoms will show up, it is probably just a case of having the issue of apneas for a long time but not realizing it and then as more and more damage was done it started creating more and more sever symptoms. I know I was at a point where I was waking up the the point of being aware I am awake roughly ever 35-45 minutes before I did anything to check why.

5. Remember that while AHI is used to determine severity of apnea it is only very partial data because AHI doesn't measure time in events, you can have an AHI of 30 with an average event time of say 12 seconds and have less even time then someone who has an AHI of 15 but an average event time of say 29 seconds, higher AHI doesn't necessarily mean longer time in apneas, it just means more events but it can not tell how long each event is. Think of it like looking on a map one route might be 50 miles long but with an average speed of 20MPH wither due to speed limits or traffic or both while another route might be 75 miles long with an average speed of 80MPH, 50 mile trip looks shorter then a 75 mile trip on paper but when you account for average speeds during the 50 and 75 miles the 75 miles is actually quicker.

And as far as the average O2 being over 90 is fine, that would be true if you didn't have dips below 89, like having an average of 90 where 33% of the time it is right at 89, 34% of the time at 90 and 33% at 91% would be considered fine BUT having an average of 94.2% where 50% is at 97, 40% is at 94 and 10% is at 81 to average 94.2% is dangerous because anything under 89% is where it starts causing damage to the cells and so even though the overall average percentile is higher in scenario B the issue is that in scenario A the O2 never got to dangerous levels while as in B it was at dangerous levels for 10% of the time. Like you would not say that being at 100% for 90% of the time and 0% for 10% of the time to average 90% over all would be safe, same thing. A better way to look at that is instead of the average O2 being 92% for your data looking at it as 25.6 minutes of the time you were at a dangerous level of O2 or 7.4% of the time slept being at a dangerous O2 level that even if it doesn't cause you immediate harm will cause you gradual harm built up over time like running a car with low oil won't cause immediate problems right away but the papercut sized damages add up over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
last night

first 2 nights i did not have a sd card yet

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. 
Does that mean that technically if I would sleep with a device that doesn't let me sleep on my back and a neck brace, it would take away the worst parts of my apnea?  I have some days that I won't be able to use a machine and wondering what could help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, technically if you can find a way to avoid sleeping in what position causes you the most problems it is better than nothing at all and will help some (still will have issues but should be less sever), so if you have the most issues on your back like it looks like something as simple as stuffing pillows on your side to prevent you from rolling over onto your back may reduces the issues on the days that you can not use your machine. BUT with that said much like with any other life long treatment they are much more effective if you use them regularly without interruptions using it some days but not others makes it take much much longer to adjust to get the full benefit of the treatment, so while yes it would help try to avoid having to do so unless there is no other option (For example if you are camping for a few nights maybe having a battery bank to be able to run it off battery for the two nights). 

In short, can preventing sleeping in the wrong positions causing you problems help dampen the issues? Yes but only do it as a last resort because starting and stopping and starting therapy will hamper your results making it take longer to get to the results you desire.
Post Reply Post Reply
See those large chunks of time where your leak rate graph is elevated? That's a sign of mouth-leaking. You have to get that under control. You can try a chin strap (available from equipment suppliers), a soft cervical collar, or a full face mask.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 77 1,731 2 hours ago
Last Post: Quitethe1
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 158 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 480 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,138 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Treatment] Interpreting OSCAR data - any assistance would be incredibly appreciated :) SleepyVoyager 20 901 02-29-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New User - Advice greatly appreciated. sparklefists 15 1,033 02-20-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: sparklefists
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 616 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.