Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hepa Filter install
RE: Hepa Filter install
(08-03-2015, 01:56 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 01:48 PM)Kevco1 Wrote: It's actually just a small rectangular filter that goes in behind the foam filter in the back..

The small fine white rectangular filter is optional and goes in first, then the black foam filter. I don't see how that impedes the air flow, although these filters should be replaced monthly. The black foam filter can be washed.

Yes, I installed exactly the way you said. That area is the air intake for the machine. When you install the filter it reduced the pressure going into the machine so the pressure coming out is reduced as well. It's definitely noticeable. My thought is that the pressure setting needs to be increased to compensate for the reduced pressure coming in going through both the foam filter and the Hepa filter. My question is how much higher should the pressure be set to bring it back to the original pressure coming out? Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
How are you detecting that the pressure the machine is putting out with the fine white filter in place is less than without it? I would suggest that you buy or rig a manometer and T it into the output. Check it with and without the filter. If you find a measurable difference I would try a different filter. There may be something wrong with the filter you are trying.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I would expect that the set pressure is measured at the exhaust side of the air pump. With the air filter on the inlet side of the pump it would just pump hard enough to maintain the set pressure. If a filter is fitted on the exhaust side, the pressure would drop across the filter and that pressure drop would have to be figured into the pressure setting if it were a significant drop.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2015, 08:38 PM)foss Wrote: I would expect that the set pressure is measured at the exhaust side of the air pump. With the air filter on the inlet side of the pump it would just pump hard enough to maintain the set pressure. If a filter is fitted on the exhaust side, the pressure would drop across the filter and that pressure drop would have to be figured into the pressure setting if it were a significant drop.

Jeff

I have noticed this pressure drop in an older 'brick' machine RemStar Plus.
It must not have had any output pressure feedback and I guess the pressure output was
calibrated to a given motor speed assuming no restrictions etc.etc.
I checked with a manometer and noticed you didn't always get what you had set on the front panel!
*** However..
On a newer machine, S9 AutoSet, pressure output was pretty close to the money because it was checking it's own output pressure and scheduling power to the blower accordingly.

It might seem like quibbling over minute details but if you have a less
intelligent machine, then adding an extra filter or hose length will make a difference
to the actual pressure being delivered.

food for thought...

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Kevco1:

Back to the original issue,
Why would you want to attach a HEPA filter to your machine in the first place?
Having dust/mold issues or something?
If so, be advised that the small white filter is nowhere near getting close to the
filtering capability of a true HEPA filter.
(HEPA is able to screen out 99% of particles down to 0.3 microns. (if I remember right) )
Your CPAP machine blower is far too feeble to pull air through a true HEPA filter the size of the square white one.
Hold the little filter up to a bright light.
See any pinholes in it? Those tiny holes are at least 100 microns in size. Large enough to let all kinds of crap through.
dust, mites, mold spores etc.

If your DME or medical supplier is billing that thing as HEPA then they are selling you a pig in a poke.
(rip off warning)

It is not impossible to fit a real HEPA filter on to a CPAP machine but you will need a filter at least the size of a large coffee can
(or bigger) to prevent major air flow restriction from occurring. 2 square inches of area aint going to work for very long anyway.

I do not sell air cleaners by the way. For example.
Honeywell #50250-S is a good example of a true HEPA quality air cleaner.
It's about the size of a trash can and has about 1/4-1/2 horse power motor driving the blower.
The filter in it probably has several acres of area.
(I do own two of them and the dust/dirt/trash they collect in a couple months is horrendous)

Any engineering fans care to kick in some feedback on this one?

Cheers!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
The VA provided my husband with a bunch of HEPA white filters for his ResMed S9.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm late to this discussion and I realize that this morning my AHI was higer than normal so, I may not be thinking all that clearly and may need some additional explanation and I'm willing to learn;
What is the machine the OP uses? In the profile, I see "Philips c-flex" yet several posters refer to Resmed... OK, OP also has in the profile "Resscan" as software used. It must be late otr my AHI is getting to me but, how ResScan can work with Philips machine?

In any case; from the follow up post of the OP, I take it that he talks about the (what Philips refers to as) the ultra fine filter that goes on the older Philips machines (maybe ResMed as well) behind the foam pollen filter. Since that filter is on the intake side, it should not impact on the delivered pressure unless it's plugged up. Yes, it will somewhat restrict the inflow and will make machine to work a bit harder to deliver the set pressure but, all said and done, the pressure should remain the same.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think they may be the hypoallergenic filters not HEPA filters. Some "well meaning" people at the DME may think they are HEPA filters and so that is what they have told you.

I had the hypoallergenic filters for my machine until Apria screwed me and started sending me regular filters. Took me a little while before I realized what was going on.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello All,
New to the boards. Given that this tread is discussing filters, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to acquire replacement filters.

I have a CDHCP so I am very cost conscience(at least until I've met my deductible) and Apria is charging $22.80 for six (6) filters which then actually gets increased to $51.48 by CareCentrix since Cigna is not chipping in if my deductible has not yet been met.

While I don't want to go on a rant regarding the seeming scandal that is CareCentrix's mere existence in this transaction and the more than 100% increase in cost, I have to believe that these filters should not cost this much given their size and quality.

Any point in the direction of another source for the filters for the ResMed S-9 Escape, perhaps with quantity discounts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2016, 04:42 PM)Murph1887 Wrote: Hello All,
New to the boards. Given that this tread is discussing filters, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to acquire replacement filters.

I have a CDHCP so I am very cost conscience(at least until I've met my deductible) and Apria is charging $22.80 for six (6) filters which then actually gets increased to $51.48 by CareCentrix since Cigna is not chipping in if my deductible has not yet been met.

While I don't want to go on a rant regarding the seeming scandal that is CareCentrix's mere existence in this transaction and the more than 100% increase in cost, I have to believe that these filters should not cost this much given their size and quality.

Any point in the direction of another source for the filters for the ResMed S-9 Escape, perhaps with quantity discounts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello Murph1887. Welcome

I recently purchased six fine (hypoallergenic) filters for my DreamStation through Amazon for $9.95 with free shipping. My DME charges a price similar to yours for them. I'm sure a search on Amazon will find something similar for your filters. By the way, I used Prime to get the free shipping.

Sleep well,
Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what chip do I install for Oscar? mrpat 3 142 9 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 118 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Question OSCAR Technology - Install & Data Aquisition Details EasySleep 3 119 03-18-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: EasySleep
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,878 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,183 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  [Equipment] cleaning the filter on a nasal mask msherman1000 3 911 06-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.