Thread Closed 
HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW!
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW!
Grrrrrrr.... jealous....
11-20-2014 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Herb - you will so love living on one level~! While the new joints are much better than the old originals, they are not quite as good as originals in good health.

I will be curious to learn in a year or so if you have random not-so-good days or not? I would do all my replacements again in a heartbeat, as overall they are a great improvement to me, but they are not pain/ache-free.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
11-20-2014 03:05 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

(11-20-2014 10:58 AM)DocWils Wrote:  Grrrrrrr.... jealous....

I consider myself 'poor', yet our brick ranch (with finished basement) is ours. Property taxes are painful at $1,000 a half (taxes are paid twice yearly on property) and insurance is bout $850 per year.

[Image: 93dcdadd.jpg]

Storm peeled half the roof off last year, and so time for a new roof. We have a bit over an acre lawn with 9 trees on the property.

Herb - show us a photo of your new place?

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
11-20-2014 03:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Jumpin's! Property tax on that here would be ginormous! We get taxed on home ownership in several ways at once - first, since it is part of your overall wealth, you are taxed on that, as we have a capital holdings tax. Then, they look at your house and figure out what you would earn if you rented it out, and tax you based on the income that you supposedly would earn. Then there is the land tax, and a host of other taxes. No wonder over here few people own outright - most are mortgaged up to the wazoo as they can then discount much of their taxes that way as debt. Moreover, most never pay off their mortgages fully - there are two tiers - a flat rate mortgage which has to be repaid in a given number of years (20 is the norm) and a floating rate mortgage which may never be repaid. An acre of lawn would be nearly impossible to imagine here, unless you are very rich or live on farm land. That much extra space would normally also be built on, if only to defray the costs of having that land, and then rented out or sold. I am just green here with envy.
11-20-2014 05:27 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(11-20-2014 05:27 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Jumpin's! Property tax on that here would be ginormous! We get taxed on home ownership in several ways at once - first, since it is part of your overall wealth, you are taxed on that, as we have a capital holdings tax. Then, they look at your house and figure out what you would earn if you rented it out, and tax you based on the income that you supposedly would earn. Then there is the land tax, and a host of other taxes...

I am just green here with envy.

You can always move over here to the States, Doc. Should be pretty easy especially for someone with your skill set. Only thing most of us are required to pay on our homes is property tax. A lot of us think even that is un-Constitutional and downright unfair, since if I have to pay "rent" (property taxes) to a government in order to keep my home, I don't really own it - the government allows me to stay there as long as I pay their extortion money (property tax).

There was a time, not too long ago, roughly 100 years ago, when most Americans paid no income tax, no property tax, no sales tax etc. In the late 1800's to early 1900's during the Progressive Movement here, many new taxes were levied for the "common good". Of course, none of them started out as a very large percentage, and most of them were taxing primarily the "rich" and corporations. Of course, tax-creep settled in to where just about everyone now pays some sort of tax. But with even all that, we still don't pay as much as you folks in EU land pay.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

11-20-2014 06:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Another nice thing about the new home is that although the front and back yards are small (by US, especially Texas, standards), we can walk right across the street into a 'stub street' (think cul de sac only shorter) only 100' deep and into the green belt behind our (across the street) neighbors.

A quarter of a mile down our street it ends and there is another large greenbelt, and all over this neighborhood and the adjacent subdivisions there are more large areas for playing or walking dogs, and even that actively STOCKED fish pong where fishing is legal.

This is a NICE PLACE to live, not just a nice home (itself.)

FYI: 4 weeks 3 days Post-Op and I am getting my true gate back.

Biggest problem is tightness in the left knee which is requiring quite a bit of conscious input to correct whenever I walk.

I have no doubt it will loosen up (there is still much swelling, some fluid around and under the kneecap, and inflammation/tenderness) but the battle won't be over for at least a few weeks to months.

Today was my last "pool therapy" and I have 2 more land/gym sessions next week before they cut me off. After that, my therapy will be largely on my own and up at the nearby YMCA (therapy pool and gym/machine room.

Also my Meridian Stretching coach (aka, resistance stretching) will still be working with me, perhaps a Feldenkrais trainer as well.

My massage therapist and my chiropractor will also be doing about a session per week for the rest of the year (hey, it's almost over.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
11-21-2014 02:16 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

(11-20-2014 06:14 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  But with even all that, we still don't pay as much as you folks in EU land pay.

Coffee

Mmmmmm... not so sure - can't speak for the EU, Switzerland isn't part of the EU, but the rule of thumb here is roughly 1/13 of your yearly income plus your capital holdings, less your debts. However, Switzerland is High-Price Island - everything is expensive here compared to the EU (or the US), but that is because we are a capitalist society, and big business more or less sets prices according to what they think they can gouge the public out of. Usually with lies like "import duties" (which are lower than the EU's VAT by more than 3/4s), higher rent (not THAT much higher) higher wages (again, not THAT much higher),etc. Mostly it is just greed. Even stuff produced here sells for up to three times as much as when exported to the EU or the US. But we don't pay a lot of taxes on income and the like. And there is no capital gains tax. One of the weirder things here is we pay taxes in advance - on the year to come, on what we expect to earn rather than what we had earned in the past, although we use that as the base line for the estimate.

In terms of homes, you have to remember that we have very little land available, compared to the US - most of our land is mountain, and most of that is uninhabitable - some land has to be reserved for agrarian practice, so the actual land left over is a premium, and that means tons of flats and very few houses. Despite that, what little green space we have is being built over at a rate of one football pitch per day. Soon the entire country will be end to end concrete. Not so nice...
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2014 06:51 AM by DocWils.)
11-21-2014 06:51 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Different places simply amaze me, but then I am only well traveled in North America - I've been nowhere else. And, not deep into Mexico, AK or the Yukon Territories.

Am very, very happy for you Herb. I honestly think come 2015 I will need to go back to PT on the right knee. Still 3 degrees, and achy when bending - but it's also only 4 months old, so time will tell.

Shoulder hurts with use, but am only stage 2 at PT - so a ways to go with it still.

11-21-2014 08:25 AM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

They are kicking me out of formal (medical and insurance supported) physical therapy -- I will be continuing my PT on my own until I work out the issues with my gait and recover as many of my former capabilities as practical (e.g., mobility such as squatting, kicking for self-defense -- at least up to the waist, walking & and at least emergency running....)

As to running, some people do run after joint replacement but my doc(s) had indicated this is not for me. My current doc has only said not to run as a regular activity however and that I can still run as a minimal activity.

Last night, I walked each dog just a few houses (maybe 200 feet each) with NO negative effect or discomfort. I would love to be able to walk them 1/2 mile or more.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
11-21-2014 10:00 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Guys, it sounds like you are both doing reasonably well in your current states, keep it up. Herb, I would also have said running is off the table for the foreseeable future, but how it will be in a year is not easy to guess.

Peter, your current state is exactly on time with the norm for your recovery type, so don't sweat it, just continue. Remember the turtle - slow and steady wins the race.

BTW - I live in a single level dwelling, and I think it is grand - the down side is that my single level dwelling is four flights up, no lift. But once up there, great!
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2014 11:01 AM by DocWils.)
11-21-2014 10:57 AM
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  DIY Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor replacement surferdude2 12 252 10-27-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  On my 2nd iPhone 6 replacement in a year cate1898 4 551 12-20-2015 08:16 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  Blather, clicking knees and Hi Herbm! Peter_C 84 6,267 10-29-2014 11:54 AM
Last Post: retired_guy
  Anyone heard from Herbm? justMongo 22 3,371 08-10-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: herbm
  Australian (Swiss) open tennis men final 2014 zonk 13 2,317 01-26-2014 05:16 PM
Last Post: zonk
  2014 me50 10 2,794 01-03-2014 01:31 AM
Last Post: Surly
  Cataract Surgery May 7th! Schnauzers 5 10 2,936 04-16-2013 11:44 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5