Thread Closed 
HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW!
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Sex: Male

RE: HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW!
I did have a (nearly) ideal situation:

1) Best surgeon with best technique
2) Extensive pre-op "pre-hab"
3) Knowledge from Bonesmart, YouTube, Internet elsehwhere
4) Near perfect attitude
5) Age advantages
6) Condition advantages and prior athletics
7) LUCK!!!!!

(also #8, I used the Hip replacement to practice, find the needed tools, shake out the bugs in my plans and methods, and learn HOW to do a recovery. The hip was just easy but I practiced diligently.)

For #4, I was basically working a version of what Kelly McGonigal describes in her TED Talk, "The Upside of Stress".

30,000 person study over 8 years and those who believed that "stress was bad for their health" died at a 43% higher rate.

Those with a lot of stress who didn't believe that did better than people without stress.

My method was basically the reverse of believing that "stress is bad for health".

I seriously committed to ACTIVELY ENJOYING every single part of the process, whether it was pleasant or not, benign or tragic, painful or not, etc.

Everything else followed from this one simple commitment.

Even if something sucked, I enjoyed (with pride!) being able to do it WITH PLEASURE. I even had a plan for waking up to find my leg amputated (never told anyone that and never thought there was a chance in a million of that happening).

My plan was simply to KEEP DEALING and KEEP ENJOYING my ability to deal and any progress that I could make.

Along with this, the commitment to enjoying everything was also to do everything practical to make it work. This made the pre-hab and seeking out help, listening to advice (including yours) easy and pleasurable, etc.

Believe in yourself (arrogance and pride) and DO everything you can to make it work (ACTION) no matter what the setback.

It sounds like either pablum or new age BS, but based on reading that survey on stress (and of course surgery is an extreme physical stress) it makes perfect and very simple sense.

http://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgonigal_how_to_make_stress_your_friend?language=en

http://blog.ted.com/2013/06/11/the-upside-of-stress-kelly-mcgonigal-at-tedglobal-2013/

Seriously pushing everyone to watch these -- if you have a lot of tough stress it will save your life and if not, it will help you save the lives or family and friends.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
11-26-2014 10:07 PM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Luck is actually what you have most of (or good Karma) - the rest come from that. She has certainly been a Lady with you, Herb.
11-27-2014 08:25 AM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

The thing about luck is that you have to have ALL of the other items for luck to 'finish the job' -- without them luck just can't do enough, but once you have a good foundations from doc to patient some luck is required for the kind of recoveries I have experienced.

I spent today (Thanksgiving in the US) in the emergency room due to a fluid retention problem. It sounds a lot more serious than it really was when you hear of my being in the ER, but it was necessary for the issue to be corrected and with doctors and my clinic close for the holiday the ER was the ONLY place to get help with the problem.

Of course, untreated it could have gone much worse, and most people with the type of problem I had today would have been in severe pain and other discomfort.

Lucky (again) for me, my condition was pain free (a little irritation or hyper-sensitivity but no real pain.)

But now I have another follow-up (1 week) and another new doctor (Dr. Maloney, rhymes with baloney he says Smile )

The ER doc was a kind woman, Dr. Otten, and both the nurses and techs took very good care of me.

Carol turned off the turkey; we locked up the BIG PUPPY (to keep her out of trouble) went to the ER when my clinic triage nurse offered that advice over the phone.

When we got home this evening, Carol just restarted the oven, finished cooking the turkey, and we'll have OUR Thanksgiving tomorrow (Friday.) No big deal.

Among other things, I am thankful for the excellent medical treatment and the successful outcome!

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

11-28-2014 02:57 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

You know, I always feel lucky when I come out of the OR and know I haven't f***d up - in fact, I say the Test Pilot's (and Surgeon's) Prayer before I go in.

I hope the turkey was still brilliant after the long wait (my mum used to take 24 hours to cook one) and I am sure you felt a lot better after the treatment for fluid retention (LASIX? Or a shot of something more gentle?)
11-28-2014 01:22 PM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Yes, i like the idea of the Test Pilot's prayer.

We JUST ate the turkey -- 12:30pm Friday -- and it was indeed excellent.

[I sent Doc Wils the medical details by private message.]

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

11-28-2014 02:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Saw my primary doc (internist) today for a follow-up, and also discussed the Thanksgiving trip to the ER.

Good news: Kidney disfunction is relieved. Anemia is improved (but not yet normal.)

I am still holding about 5-7 lbs of water (according to my advanced scale).

Plan:

Return to daily use of furosemide (lasix) and spironolactone diuretics on a daily basis -- from about once per week on a "as necessary" basis.

Check blood again in about 2-3 weeks with another followup.

I am seeing the surgeon again tomorrow for my 6 week follow-up post-op. (6 weeks was this past Tuesday.)

My knees took a definite turn for the better after my last session with my Meridian/Resistance stretching coach (Jay).

This seemed to be an entirely mundane, almost perfunctory session AT THE TIME, but by that evening I noticed a definite improvement* and this has continued in the 3 days since the session, despite working out (at Combatives) twice.

* Side force discomfort and small irritations around the knees seem to have largely disappeared.

I am now sleeping regularly on my side again -- off the pillow stack -- as I prefer.

Also: Out combatives work last night bordered on amazing results for both myself and my training partners (i.e., being able to predict and neutralize the attack before the attacker even gets started good.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

12-05-2014 03:09 AM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Two months today since the new knees were installed. (3 months, 2 days, since the new right hip.)

The hip has been nothing but perfect.

The only way I can tell the left knee isn't perfect (yet?) is that the right knee pretty much is.

Fatigue seems to be improving but I can still sleep 12 hours at a time if no one bugs me.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

12-21-2014 08:43 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Hehe - I would love to say it's all the surgeries that has had me sleeping such long hours, but I fear I am simply getting too used to sleeping until I wake up.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
12-21-2014 10:54 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

One knee will always feel different from the other for the most most simple reason - bilateral asymmetry. You are not built the same way on both sides and you favour a side, so.... one knee will be slightly better trained and aligned than the other - perfectly normal. So, well done indeed. I wish all my patients had such great results.
12-22-2014 05:08 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Right Doc,

However my left knee is noticeable different and was strained a week ago which made the difference more pronounced.

It's likely that the left knee can come up to AT LEAST the comfort of the right knee and the right knee can likely improve even more.

If they are both like the right knee or better I could be satisfied but there is still a little more work possible. Mostly strength and stability going DOWN stairs. The left is not quite loose enough or strong enough to go down comfortably. The right is just good enough for that.

The left needs to loosen a bit to make my walk perfectable, but it is good enough for most purposes.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

12-22-2014 06:06 PM
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  DIY Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor replacement surferdude2 12 245 10-27-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  On my 2nd iPhone 6 replacement in a year cate1898 4 551 12-20-2015 08:16 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  Blather, clicking knees and Hi Herbm! Peter_C 84 6,262 10-29-2014 11:54 AM
Last Post: retired_guy
  Anyone heard from Herbm? justMongo 22 3,370 08-10-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: herbm
  Australian (Swiss) open tennis men final 2014 zonk 13 2,314 01-26-2014 05:16 PM
Last Post: zonk
  2014 me50 10 2,793 01-03-2014 01:31 AM
Last Post: Surly
  Cataract Surgery May 7th! Schnauzers 5 10 2,932 04-16-2013 11:44 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5