Thread Closed 
HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW!
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

RE: HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW!
(10-22-2014 10:48 AM)herbm Wrote:  If you are enjoying this thread or otherwise interested, please post a reply occasionally to encourage me to continue.

Superman needs no encouragement.... [Image: superman.gif]

But seriously, so glad to hear of the amazing results, Herb!

Congrats

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

10-22-2014 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

12pm Post-Op Day 1

Surgeon was here.

Not going home.

Surgeon fibbed (but I still love him).

He is keeping me so he can unwrap the bandages tomorrow and sending me to pool therapy tomorrow as well -- despite the fact that I could easily walk out of here and take care of myself at home.

I am good with it. Smile

My new knees are great and already feel like MY OWN, only better.

Two knees were NOTHING near as bad so far as I have heard, or read and seen on the Internet.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2014 12:19 PM by herbm.)
10-22-2014 12:13 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

Glad to hear you are doing so well. Who knows, you might like the pool therapy. Best Wishes in your continued recovery.
10-22-2014 12:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

(10-22-2014 11:19 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  
(10-22-2014 10:48 AM)herbm Wrote:  If you are enjoying this thread or otherwise interested, please post a reply occasionally to encourage me to continue.

Superman needs no encouragement.... [Image: superman.gif]

But seriously, so glad to hear of the amazing results, Herb!

Congrats

But Superman needs his friends and their sense of humor.

You are much appreciated Retired_Guy!
(10-22-2014 12:24 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  Glad to hear you are doing so well. Who knows, you might like the pool therapy. Best Wishes in your continued recovery.

I love the pool -- and did ALMOST ALL my formal physical therapy for the hip replacement in the pool.

I didn't know the pool would be an option but the OS said this is a more controlled environment with PTs who are really good at waterproofing the bandage. (It's a LOT tougher than you might think)

3:00PM Day 1

Physical therapist was just here, we did a little walking and then some standing exercises at the parallel bars.

He cleared me with the nurses to be more independent so I can just go do my own session if I wish.

Tomorrow we'll do the pool.

How much fun can on (super)man stand? Dancing

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

10-22-2014 03:25 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Are you sure they replace YOUR knees? Maybe they accidentally replaced that guy that was in the next bed.. You, know the guy that came in for a vasectomy? Are you sore anywhere else?
10-22-2014 07:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

That is the same joke i made to the OS (without the vasectom since no pain or incision anywhere close.0

I said, 'Yeah, I know what you did, you just slapped a big bandaid on me, shot me full of pain killer, and are tying to clame you replace my hip."

He says, "But look, heres the x-ray, see that big honking piece of hardware."

My: "Aw, that's some other guys film"

Me "Yeah, right, I am a computer guy; I can phony that up in 10 minutes"

My OS has a sense of humor, and I even kid him about that. Groggy so will repeat that story tomorrow.

FYI: I decided to take the Oxy (Percoset) to get ready for the "72 hour max Exparel" to wear off.-- even though my pain level is 0 when resting and about 1 or maybe 2 when walking.

He has a max dose per PerSON, and so has to split it to each knee. THe hip got the entire vial and the effect lasted almost exactly 72 hours.

I also will post a video (hopefully tomorrow) of me walking with my canes at 29 hours post-op

Right now, i have a Continuous Passive Motion machine hooked to my left leg, running 0-100 degrees quite comfortably. The left is the one that need the mot improvement,

Nighty night.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

10-22-2014 11:03 PM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

6:00 AM Day 2 Post-Op

The CPM (continuous passive motion machine) finally arrived last evening so the nurses hooked me up to it for 3 hours each leg overnight.

Sort of like CPAP for your knee Smile It SLOWLY flexes and extends the knee to help increase the ROM gently and with no effort on the part of the patient -- except some inconvenience for the patient and caregiver(s).

Anyone doing CPAP will immediately recognize the trade-offs that are inherent in this type of equipment, especially the idea of having it "in bed with you", even though they are completely different treatment modalities, i.e., bending your knee vs. breathing for you.

Of course, what does CPAP do? It expands your lungs and effectively "operates your breathing" (a bit anyway.)

The CPM was actually pretty comfortable.

Typically they start the machine a 0 degrees extension and 60 degrees or so flexion, allowing the patient to operate a remove (corded) control to increase, decrease, stop, start, or otherwise adjut the machine.

We started at 0 to 60.

Now for the good news:

Almost immediately I decided that my knee could do a lot more so I cranked that baby up to -10 to 120 degrees, a 130 degree ROM.

Now to be clear, it doesn't PULL your need down fully so the -10 is more permissive than mandatory so my knee wasn't hyper-extending, and probably wasn't even going all the way to 0 (except may on the right where the extension was already at 5 degrees.)

We kept the "foot pressers" (air booties designed to press and release your feet to improve blood return and reduce the chance of blood clots) and the Polar Care cold therapy (ice water circulation right on the knees in place of ice packs) connecting and operating also.

Category TMI: You pretty much need to commit to using an in bed urinal (or catheter) but I have discovered that for males this is actually quite convenient and beats getting up at night for the bathroom -- my wife seems to indicate this isn't as convenient for females. YMMV

Medical literature is unclear about whether the CPM is actually cost effective, but my surgeon says that every patient who chooses to USE IT finds it to have an ANALGESIC effect which improves pain control and reduces stiffness.

This is different from CPAP where the effectiveness of the treatment is well documented, but similar in the sense of there are likely a LOT of people who just don't go to the trouble to use this inconvenient piece of hardware (in the bed or on the couch etc.)

My first impression is that I LOVE IT and will gladly deal with the inconvenience for 2-6 weeks (I think the rental period is 6 weeks on insurance and at this rate by 2 weeks I may not needed it any longer.)

I liked it enough on this first use that I went to Amazon to price one for purchase.

My guess was a few hundred bucks, maybe $400 to $600, but NO, they cost a few THOUSAND dollars, perhaps $2000 to $5000 (new but discounted from sources like Amazon.) Go figure.

The darn things cost more than a CPAP machine, or at best are similarly priced.

I am starting to ENJOY the hospital even. Might stop trying to escape and figure out how to STAY LONGER (at leas over in the inpatient rehab area here -- they have a POOL.)

It will be a whole lot easier to have a caregiver fetch ice, fill the cold therapy machines (I now have a separate machine for each leg), hook and unhook the tubes, and do similar setup on the CPM.

My wife isn't going to be able to keep up with all this work as much as would be useful for the rehab of the knees, and the CPM is a bit heavy for here to move and maneuver.

Even with all the walking I did yesterday and the CPM on for 6 hours last night, I am essentially pain free while lying in bed, but I did start taking 1 of 2 allowed Oxy (Percocet) by the clock to prepare for the in site Exparel to wear off sometime between today and probably Friday.

The max/approved dose for Exparel is "per person" so with 2 knees the surgeon splits the dose you would receive in a single surgical site .

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

10-23-2014 06:55 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(10-23-2014 06:55 AM)herbm Wrote:  Almost immediately I decided that my knee could do a lot more so I cranked that baby up to -10 to 120 degrees, a 130 degree ROM.

Of course you did!!!! I cannot imagine anything else. Actually, I'm surprised you didn't go for the full 360.........

You're really doing great Herb. You almost make one wish they too could have a new knee.......... Almost.
10-23-2014 12:03 PM
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Herb, Tell the truth now, was that a BOGO deal?
10-23-2014 12:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Whitewabit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed V9 VPAP Adapt S9 (36067), ASV mode
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX, AirFit P10, AirFit F10
CPAP Pressure: 5/4/9

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

The Exparel will be wearing off and then see if your pain free .. don't over do it and suffer for it when the pain relief isn't there any more ..

those rehab pools are sooo nice .. always got them about 89-90 degrees relaxes those muscles and take the weight off of joints while moving them ..
10-23-2014 12:10 PM
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  DIY Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor replacement surferdude2 12 254 10-27-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  On my 2nd iPhone 6 replacement in a year cate1898 4 551 12-20-2015 08:16 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  Blather, clicking knees and Hi Herbm! Peter_C 84 6,274 10-29-2014 11:54 AM
Last Post: retired_guy
  Anyone heard from Herbm? justMongo 22 3,375 08-10-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: herbm
  Australian (Swiss) open tennis men final 2014 zonk 13 2,318 01-26-2014 05:16 PM
Last Post: zonk
  2014 me50 10 2,796 01-03-2014 01:31 AM
Last Post: Surly
  Cataract Surgery May 7th! Schnauzers 5 10 2,938 04-16-2013 11:44 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5