Thread Closed 
HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW!
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Sex: Male

RE: HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW!
(11-04-2014 01:26 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Herb,

If there is an interaction with the Cepacol, then stay off it - yes, in many cases these can be interaction problems. However, the best method is watchful waiting and see what happens when you take what...

Yes, that is pretty much my thinking, even though I don't know if the Cepacol was at fault or not.

In any case, the mildly sore throat hasn't returned and perhaps the easy nausea was a fair price to pay for the comfort in the throat.

Day 15 Post-Op

Good day, breakthroughs at physical therapy, mostly in my understanding of the way to maximize the value and in the rapport with my therapists (Vickie and Aimee)

I attended a Systema class (with my old instructor) on the night of Day 14, and I taught Combatives & Self-Defense on the night of Day 15.

Each class was about 1.5 hours.

At the Systema class, I had a VERY MINOR problem with my right incision when I put gentle weight on it to get up from the floor.

The pressure popped the incision open a little, and my xarelto thinned blood ran all over the place until we put another bandage on it.

No big deal but this probably set back the healing of the (external) incision about 2-3 days.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
11-06-2014 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Ouch! There are a number of tried and true methods to speed healing of such wounds, and these days most bandage companies make a few different choices, but most important is to keep any dirt out, so keep it clean, and while it needs air, there is enough air trapped under any given bandage (my bandage of choice for these is Tegaderm film bandages) to do the job nicely. Liquid Collodion will also dry to nice, tough and resilient wound dressing, disinfecting the wound at the same time. In the US they sell that under the brand name "New Skin" but use it only after bleeding has subsided.
11-06-2014 01:56 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Ahem...cough..cough

While I for one am thrilled at what you are able to do some two weeks post-op, I do think we can all agree that opening an incision enough to the point of bleeding, does not qualify as "taking it a bit easy" Herb Smile

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
11-06-2014 06:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

"Ouch", only as a sign of commiseration makes sense -- there was NO pain or discomfort of any type in all this -- in fact each time it happened (3) someone had to point out the blood, before I noticed.

Thanks for the collodion reference, I was starting to look for that.

I use tegraderm's primarily for waterproofing for the pool. Also these large dressessings called "Island dressing" -- Island meaning a non-stick wound pad surrounded by a sticky border, basically a giant bandaid, but white and looks like dressings.

My other method is to make a long dressing by opening a 4 x 4 to 4 x 8, and just taping it top and bottom. It looks like i have dressed my wounds with "paper diner napkins (and that may not be far from the truth>)

These are great because they are simple, cheap, quick, effective, and allow LOTS of air to get under the bandage.

Last week, my orthopedic surgeon cleared me for most anything, saying "let pain be my guide", but I will check with him today (Friday) to see if he has any more explicit or further restrictions if I attend this event.

I will be attending AMOK!: Empty Hands Seminar with Tom Sotis SALADO November 8-9, 2014 https://www.facebook.com/events/513220322155561/ this week end. My friends, including at least one doctor, will be there to keep watch over me.

The biggest issue for me is that I continue to cycle my fluid retention to "empty my legs" and keep down the swelling.

The exercise of the event will naturally take care of the activity portion of the cycle so it will be my job to take breaks to elevate and ice. I am taking the Polar Care Cold Therapy machines with me and staying at the Holiday Inn Express so that has to make me smarter.

I will consider each event and decide on a case by case basis if it makes sense to participate or how fully to participate.

Likely I will do SOME 'full opposition', i.e., fighting, but not all of them.

Likely it will be necesary to skip some exercises to elevate or ice during each day.

I might even try taping on the Polar Care pads and using the quick disconnects to hook up during the 'lecture' portions while placing my feet in a chair and lying on the floor.

This sounds so far out there that it will dumbfound most people but if any of you have any thoughts (more explicit and beyond "Herb, don't do too much") then let me know.

I can assure you that this will still be "inside the envelope" -- it's combat training so small injuries like a bloody nose or sprained fingers occasionally occur.

If anyone kicks me in the knees they will likely just hurt their foot when contacting the titanium so I'll warn everyone not to do that. Smile

Falling is my stock and trade though I am going to try to stay away from falls whenever practical (takes too long, and too much effort, to get up with tight knees at the moment.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 04:29 AM by herbm.)
11-07-2014 04:09 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Well, you know what I said, so I won't repeat it, but I would suggest wearing knee braces of some sort not only to protect you, but to signal to the opponent they are a to-touch zone. Nothing says do not kick like a visible metal frame.
11-07-2014 06:22 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Herb, who am I to say what you should or should not do? That's the same as you trying to do the same for me. Two totally different people. I'm just saying being active enough to slightly open an incision doesn't come under the list of smartest moves.

I'm off soon to my first PT session for my shoulder - am already dreading it - even knowing that it will be easier than knee work.

Question? How many times a day must a left-handed guy be reminded not to reach out for something with his left arm? You'd think by now (17 days post-op) I and the pain would make me remember not to do that.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
11-07-2014 12:45 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Peter - I am ambi and I have a hard time not favouring one over the other when one is injured. Its normal. That is one reason we put them in a sling, you know - to keep you from using it.
11-07-2014 01:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

DocWills is definitely correct -- I put my right arm in a sling during that period when straightening it out and moving the had towards the rear was so problematic. The sling was enough to prevent the straightening, which prevented the reach, which prevented the pain.

Notice that I really WAS NOT moving enough to pop it open the knee extension. I was however specifically KNEELING and that stimulated the opening.

After talking to Dodge today, it seems neither of us thinks this was totally the reason either.

There was pooled blood on the knee (just a couple of ounces), the whole lower leg was over-presurized due to edema, I knelt on it (gently and without pain), AND I was moving a little but not really much more than in PT.

I asked Dodge specifically about the Hand to Hand Seminar and he independently volunteered as much: it's hard to tell me not to do the seminar if the PT involves similar movements.

He supports me going if I follow the no pain rule and avoid kneeling or anything else likely to press hard enough on the knee to open it back up.

Dodge also asked if I wanted him to use a syringe to extract blood from the knee -- I agreed and he extracted the blood from right knee (only) and that was not unpleasant.

He gave me a super long 'ACE Bandage' for wrapping my leg; I essentially can create a custom pressurized substitute for a TED stocking, get the pressure the wound currently needs, hold on any bandages, and help hold in any blood that does seep or run out.

I have extra absorbent sponge type bandages and ordinary 4 x 4s.

Carol is taking me to the seminar so I won't need a rental car. She'll drive me up on Sat (a little early) so that she can return in time for her own weekend even here in Austin (about a 45 minute trip each way.)

Our friend (in the seminar) from New Mexico has already said he'll drive me back and forth from hotel to seminar etc.

Carol will return Sunday evening to drive me back to our home. Though there is some chance that I can arrange a ride once we are all at the seminar for 2 days.

The only disadvantage of going without a car is that I will be unable to "just leave" or to go somewhere (ER, massage in Salado, drugstore, etc.) but my friend Lance will likely accommodate me for important trips.

See you on Monday!

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2014 07:02 AM by herbm.)
11-08-2014 10:42 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Good point bout the sling. But the flip side is, not using the sling has helped to naturally bring back roughly 70% of my movement range (no strength to it yet) and the PT doc is saying no sling unless hurting bad at this point. Of course, use while sleeping is up to me.

11-09-2014 01:54 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Yes it is better to go without the sling once that is possible.

My 'sling' was used only for short periods when I was likely to make 'the movement.'

The seminar was a HUGE success. My friend Steve's training studio was better than i had ever seen it with full mat coverage and the field outside was comfortable enough i lay down in the grass for a bit and rested while watching the others work.

Tom Sotis (my other friend who taught the seminar) did an excellent job. At the end, I not only obtained a ride home for myself (my wife didn't need to drive 45 minutes back to Salado), but also for Tom so that he and we could talk about all things combative, and he could finally see my "Principle Based Disarm Chains".

Jake my training buddy who drove us back, dropped Tom and I off at my gym so that we could practice the disarms until Carol (my wife) could pick us up to take us to dinner.

I posted this on FaceBook;

Quote:The Tom Sotis' AMOK! Empty hand seminar was really, really good. My ability to move on the new knees was quite amazing though I tired easily and spent more than half of the time watching (but learned just as much during those times.)

My method of getting up from the floor worked (even when tired) and this seminar only required me to do that a few times -- mostly I had to get up because I *CHOSE* to lie down to rest.

Near the end of the seminar Gus Tavo and was working with me, when I took my first 'unexpected, forced fall' (where you don't plan to fall or get to chose when it happens. (Not Gus' fault, *I* was kicking HIS legs out from under him when it happened.

It was a beautiful fall and had I not been too close to the window and clipped the window sill with the back of my head it would have been perfect.

As it was, I saw the sill coming, took the fall THROUGH the ledge of the window sill (right on the back of my head where you knock out or kill someone), folded and 'slipped' through the blow perfectly and landed quite safely -- with only a very small bruise instead of a trip to the ER or worse.

I can't guarantee that you will ever be attacked by a criminal, but if you live long enough, you will DEFINITELY fall badly and knowing how may save your life.

That fall was very, very satisfying, and may well have saved my life as well.

The location of the small bruise proves how dangerously placed the fall was.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

11-10-2014 07:33 AM
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  DIY Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor replacement surferdude2 12 246 10-27-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  On my 2nd iPhone 6 replacement in a year cate1898 4 551 12-20-2015 08:16 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  Blather, clicking knees and Hi Herbm! Peter_C 84 6,266 10-29-2014 11:54 AM
Last Post: retired_guy
  Anyone heard from Herbm? justMongo 22 3,371 08-10-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: herbm
  Australian (Swiss) open tennis men final 2014 zonk 13 2,315 01-26-2014 05:16 PM
Last Post: zonk
  2014 me50 10 2,793 01-03-2014 01:31 AM
Last Post: Surly
  Cataract Surgery May 7th! Schnauzers 5 10 2,935 04-16-2013 11:44 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5