Thread Closed 
HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW!
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Sex: Male

RE: HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW!
Yes it is better to go without the sling once that is possible.

My 'sling' was used only for short periods when I was likely to make 'the movement.'

Day 18 & Day 19 Post-Op BTKR

The seminar was a HUGE success. My friend Steve's training studio was better than i had ever seen it with full mat coverage and the field outside was comfortable enough i lay down in the grass for a bit and rested while watching the others work.

Tom Sotis (my other friend who taught the seminar) did an excellent job. At the end, I not only obtained a ride home for myself (my wife didn't need to drive 45 minutes back to Salado), but also for Tom so that he and we could talk about all things combative, and he could finally see my "Principle Based Disarm Chains".

Jake my training buddy who drove us back, dropped Tom and I off at my gym so that we could practice the disarms until Carol (my wife) could pick us up to take us to dinner.

I posted this on FaceBook;

Quote:The Tom Sotis' AMOK! Empty hand seminar was really, really good. My ability to move on the new knees was quite amazing though I tired easily and spent more than half of the time watching (but learned just as much during those times.)

My method of getting up from the floor worked (even when tired) and this seminar only required me to do that a few times -- mostly I had to get up because I *CHOSE* to lie down to rest.

Near the end of the seminar Gus Tavo and was working with me, when I took my first 'unexpected, forced fall' (where you don't plan to fall or get to chose when it happens. (Not Gus' fault, *I* was kicking HIS legs out from under him when it happened.

It was a beautiful fall and had I not been too close to the window and clipped the window sill with the back of my head it would have been perfect.

As it was, I saw the sill coming, took the fall THROUGH the ledge of the window sill (right on the back of my head where you knock out or kill someone), folded and 'slipped' through the blow perfectly and landed quite safely -- with only a very small bruise instead of a trip to the ER or worse.

I can't guarantee that you will ever be attacked by a criminal, but if you live long enough, you will DEFINITELY fall badly and knowing how may save your life.

That fall was very, very satisfying, and may well have saved my life as well.

The location of the small bruise proves how dangerously placed the fall was.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
11-10-2014 07:35 AM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

None of the videos of my hand to hand 'work' seemed to have actually recorded. I have a couple of group photos and a couple of "Tom & I" where I mostly resemble Uncle Festus.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

11-10-2014 07:41 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Ortho who said to start PT *last* week, finally sent the script, so first real shoulder PT is today - oh boy, can't wait! Ya, I know, been there, tired of it already.

However, to constant pain that led to the surgery is now missing, so now it's time to get the full use back-without pain.

The right knee is some 15 weeks old at this point. It never really had all the pain the old left one did, but I can really (not feel) the bone-on-bone issues that I lived with daily. It is not yet perfect, but "pain" is not part of the equation here, rather just motion and not yet feeling *normal*.

Pain, while not gone from my life, is no longer ruling every thinking moment, which in itself is a great change - now is the time to make those pain-free moments bigger and bigger...

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
11-10-2014 04:57 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Herb - when do we get to rename you Superman?
11-10-2014 05:11 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Peter - you hit it on the head - make those pain free moments more copious and of greater quality. Good luck, and don't overdo it in the desire to prove you can do all the things you used to.
11-10-2014 05:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Peter, (most of) that is wonderful news. I am so happy for you.

I am not really Superman (or as someone else suggested, I was NOT born on Krypton).

I am a pretty tough guy -- but I have not used my toughness very much on this recovery.

While I am proud of being tough, I am even prouder of being SMART -- and this recovery has been driven by SMART.

BTW, I took most of today off and rested in bed with my legs on the pillow stack and cold therapy pads on my knees, playing with my new phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 4) that my wife and I purchased on Friday.

Tonight, Carol drove me to my Combatives practice where I led an excellent 1.5 hour practice teaching two fairly new practice partners how to survive a criminal (knife) attack.

My tough remains in reserve for emergencies.

One of those practice partners is also one of my new massage therapists, who tells me he took my combatives principles, applied them to body work, and tomorrow will show me amazing ways to change an injured body.

I can hardly wait; I am like a little kid at Christmas.....

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

11-10-2014 11:45 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

I surely know that principals learned in one area, can honestly be used in other areas, and that basic tenets hold true.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
11-11-2014 12:54 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

(11-10-2014 04:57 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  ...
However, to constant pain that led to the surgery is now missing, so now it's time to get the full use back-without pain.

The right knee is some 15 weeks old at this point. It never really had all the pain the old left one did, but I can really (not feel) the bone-on-bone issues that I lived with daily. It is not yet perfect, but "pain" is not part of the equation here, rather just motion and not yet feeling *normal*.

Pain, while not gone from my life, is no longer ruling every thinking moment, which in itself is a great change - now is the time to make those pain-free moments bigger and bigger...

Peter, although I responded your message already, when I returned and re-read it the importance of this change for you is almost overwhelming.

Not everyone will know what you mean when you say, 'pain...ruling every thinking moment' and many others may have experienced that but no longer believe THEY can't live any other way.

I also know what you mean by the pain in the right knee no longer being the issue but rather the need to increase the motion and to have the knee feel more normal.

Try to find a "Resistance stretching" or "Meridian stretching" coach near you -- such a coach COULD be expensive (and I know that might be an issue) but if you had that type of coach the mobility would be much easier and quick to return.

Unfortunately, I am not seeing anyone close to you on the trainer locator page:
[link removed]

Congratulations Peter, I am so happy for you my friend.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules. To refer to the web address of a specific online CPAP Supplier, please read the guidelines placed on our CPAP Supplier List (link at the top right of every forum page).

If you would like to help another member with a commercial link that does not lead to a CPAP supplier (or to a supplier not on the list), the easiest way is to say something like, "Do a Google search for 'xyxproducts'". The search text cannot contain the '.com' or '.net' type endings if referring to a website. Alternatively, you could send them a Private Message (PM). Maintaining our status as an educational organization is what allows Apnea Board to legally distribute clinician manuals. Thanks for your understanding.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

11-11-2014 04:50 AM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

(11-11-2014 12:54 AM)Peter_C Wrote:  I surely know that principals learned in one area, can honestly be used in other areas, and that basic tenets hold true.

Well, of course there is not way to be 'sure' until you test out those principles in the new context, but in my experience, true principles frequently cross domain boundaries and provide not just useful, but many times amazing, results.

Generally the more overlap or relationship between the two domains the more likely a set of principles from one will apply usefully to the other.

As an example, let's take Systema (Russian Martial Arts or RMA) which is a "Principle Based" martial art and try the Systema principle to a few other sports and martial arts.

(Notice that in this case there is a LOT of overlap between the various contexts and domains since they are all martial or combat arts.)

Systema has 4 Principles although sometimes the fifth one is added a bit humorously:
  • Relaxing
  • Breathing
  • Moving
  • Maintaining form
  • (Hitting really hard)

What does boxing teach?

You must be moving to avoid being hit and to be able to hit the opponent.

You must relax and breath to conserve your resources. Relaxing also allows you to hit harder and faster.

Boxers are training to maintain their structure by moving in such a way that the stance is seldom disrupted and always restored. Although boxers focus more on an ACTUAL STANCE than the 'maintaining form' of Systema (which has no stances, the comparison is nearly perfect.

Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu? Again BJJ insists that breathing and relaxation are the keys to stamina. Relaxation also allows for hiding movements and attacks (or escapes) from the opponent.

Movement is strongly emphasized, though generally the focus is on MOVING THE HIPS rather than the feet (which are more important for standing arts).

Skilled BJJ fighters do NOT just lie on their backs when holding an opponent in the 'Guard'; BJJ teaches the grappler to always be moving from hip to hip, from should to shoulder, and from top (shoulder) to bottom (hips and legs).

Using structure is also highly emphasized in BJJ -- perhaps difficult to explain here quickly but it is far easier to hold or push someone away if you use a straight arm (powered by core, hips, and legs) than to try to use the triceps and other arm muscles to 'push'.

As the length of time the hold requires increases, the importance of using structures does as well.

3 martial arts using virtually the same principles.

What about some more remote domain?

How about massage?
(Temporarily left as an exercise for the reader)

How about hypnosis?

How about bridge building and design?

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

11-11-2014 05:12 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Guys, you are scaring me. Take it a little easy, please - it takes months before a replacement fully cements, up to a year, depending on the type of procedure used, and you don't want to loosen it, it only means you have to go under the knife again. So yes, be tough, work hard, but be VERY ware of the stresses you are putting on the joint. Be careful of hubris in trying to get back to top shape. The joint is still at risk of being loosened, and your wounds are still pretty fresh. I might point out that if you still have edema, then your healing is not sufficient for anything that has high impact or high joint stress. Slow down a bit, and you will thank me ten years down the road, if not sooner. I had a hockey player on my table three times because he went back full gas to soon each time (and the stress on the knee joint in hockey is phenomenal), despite my warnings. So just slow it up a bit, and be really aware of what stresses you are setting in motion.
11-11-2014 07:00 AM
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  DIY Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor replacement surferdude2 12 240 10-27-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  On my 2nd iPhone 6 replacement in a year cate1898 4 550 12-20-2015 08:16 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  Blather, clicking knees and Hi Herbm! Peter_C 84 6,232 10-29-2014 11:54 AM
Last Post: retired_guy
  Anyone heard from Herbm? justMongo 22 3,366 08-10-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: herbm
  Australian (Swiss) open tennis men final 2014 zonk 13 2,306 01-26-2014 05:16 PM
Last Post: zonk
  2014 me50 10 2,790 01-03-2014 01:31 AM
Last Post: Surly
  Cataract Surgery May 7th! Schnauzers 5 10 2,928 04-16-2013 11:44 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5