Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

Cool Hereditary Issues
As I look back on my life, I see three major health issues that my parents passed on to me. From my mother I got varicose veins; from my dad I got skin tags; and, from both I got an extra chromosome, thus giving me 47 instead of the 'normal' 46. Ohwell

For me, the worst of these conditions are the @#$%! skin tags! Over the years I've killed them by: tying them tightly with thread (tedious), having them burned off by a doctor (costly), cutting them with nail-clippers (painful), and applying OTC treatments (smelly). Anybody got a solution that works without driving away your family and friends? Thinking-about

Bob.
03-06-2014 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

RE: Hereditary Issues
(03-06-2014 09:35 AM)PollCat Wrote:  As I look back on my life, I see three major health issues that my parents passed on to me. From my mother I got varicose veins; from my dad I got skin tags; and, from both I got an extra chromosome, thus giving me 47 instead of the 'normal' 46. Ohwell

For me, the worst of these conditions are the @#$%! skin tags! Over the years I've killed them by: tying them tightly with thread (tedious), having them burned off by a doctor (costly), cutting them with nail-clippers (painful), and applying OTC treatments (smelly). Anybody got a solution that works without driving away your family and friends? Thinking-about

Bob.

I've got a belt sander and some 60 Grit belts. Would that help??

Dont-knowCoffee
03-06-2014 10:20 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

I own and actually use these to 'snip' skin tags off- my problem is I can't get my lovely wife to use them on the hard to reach places...

Fiskars Consumer Prod 99216935 Pruning Snip

[Image: 71FcSZTw9mL._SL1500_.jpg]

You can get them at Amazon.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
03-06-2014 12:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Adding to this thread...

After nine different knee surgeries, and after 18+ years of driving a truck long haul (then retiring) at age 49 I suddenly got "multiple PE" (blood clots in the lungs) - so after the hospital stay, I was on blood thinners for six months, and then had a CAT scan to make sure they were completely gone, got off the blood thinners, then eight months later I was back in hospital with multiple PEs again. At that point I insisted that they try to find out 'why' (docs didn't seem to care 'why') - after like 17 different vials of blood later - it turns out that I have a genetic predisposition to create blood clots - that suddenly turned ON at age 49. Now on blood thinners for life...

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
03-06-2014 12:39 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(03-06-2014 09:35 AM)PollCat Wrote:  As I look back on my life, I see three major health issues that my parents passed on to me.
For that reason, we should be able to select the right parents with the right genes
03-06-2014 03:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

If skin tags are what I think they are, apply a dab of liquid nitrogen on a cotton bud. It stings a little at first but I imagine cutting them off would be much more painful and susceptible to infection.

On a more serious note, I do sometimes wonder if my central apnea is hereditary. AFAIK nobody else in the family has been diagnosed with apnea of any sort. However we lost two babies to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) many years ago, and I am tormented by the thought I passed on a bad gene. The last time I enquired (some years ago) nobody knew what really causes SIDS, so there was no genetic test I could do to find out.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-07-2014 10:14 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(03-07-2014 10:14 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  On a more serious note, I do sometimes wonder if my central apnea is hereditary. AFAIK nobody else in the family has been diagnosed with apnea of any sort. However we lost two babies to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) many years ago, and I am tormented by the thought I passed on a bad gene. The last time I enquired (some years ago) nobody knew what really causes SIDS, so there was no genetic test I could do to find out.

I read this yesterday Paul, and it has taken me until now to reply. I lost a child to SIDS too. There is no way to explain away the hurt and sorrow of that event. It has been 50 years now, but the memories are still quite clear.

I have wondered, since starting on the CPAP trail, if perhaps my father had Sleep Apnea. I remember how he would get drowsy behind the wheel of the car, and how he wouldn't make it past the first show on tv before he dozed off. He watched "Hit Parade." That was his favorite. And of course I now wonder if perhaps my beautiful son inherited the sleep apnea tendency from me.

When we lost our child, I asked a personal friend of mine to perform an autopsy. He was the most respected Pathologist in Phoenix at that time and I knew he, if no one else, could provide me with the answers we felt we so much needed. As you might expect his findings were really more about what had not happened than what did happen. With tears in his eyes too, he told me "we just don't know why this happens. It's just that sometimes the little ones go to sleep and forget to breathe."

Not much has changed over the years. They explore this theory, then that. Make the babies sleep on their backs, then no, make them sleep on their tummies. But I don't think they really understand this any better than my Pathologist friend did. Aluminum causes it. Maybe not.

There is something I have come to understand though. My son died after living a short and completely love filled life. How could you ask for anything more really? All he ever knew was love and being loved. There was no room in his being for "guilt." That was my lesson. "Guilt" is a learned trait. It is something that we invent as we go through life. It has no validity as a "natural" emotion. Your child and mine only knew beauty, love, compassion.... None of the resentment, hatred, bigotry, guilt things that come later. They knew what they were born with and what they lived with for their short lives. We best honor them when we get back to that world of caring and loving for all God's creatures, here and beyond. That's a tall order; one that I'm not all that great at doing yet even at the age of 71. But one which I figure I'll continue to try to acheive until I get it right. Like my son did.

I had two sons following my little one, and they are grown men now with nearly grown families of their own. I wish I could instill in them the truths of pure love demonstrated by their little brother and elder uncle. But like you I find I sometimes have creeping thoughts of guilt over this, or any number of issues in my life. Here today, in front of this forum of friends, I remind myself and I ask you to join me in releasing and renouncing any of those illegitmate feelings, those emotions we learned but were never ours by birthright and simply remember our little ones and the joy for life they held for a short while.

--- John
03-08-2014 01:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Gabby Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Mask Make & Model: Philips Nuance Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 For Her
CPAP Pressure: 8-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Thank you John a beautiful read.
My heart goes out to you and Paul. I can't even begin to know or understand the pain you and your families have experienced.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
03-08-2014 05:01 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

We have not lost a child to sids but we have lost a child and I can tell you that, for me, it has taken the very breath out of my soul. I wouldn't want my worst enemy to ever go through something like this.

I am sorry for your loss Paul and John and anyone else that has lost a child or children.

Sorry I went off topic but I think we are more likely to get it for staying on topic! lol
03-08-2014 08:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

John, thank you for that very thoughtful and touching reply. I think it beautifully sums up the situation for all of us.

Gabby, thank you for your kind thoughts.

Me50, I understand how you and John feel - the loss of a child is something you never quite get over, and has the potential to tear a family apart. In my case my wife developed severe depression and took her own life. On the brighter side, I have a "new" wife (just celebrated our 20 year anniversary) and four beautiful adult daughters and four gorgeous grandkids. The past has its sadness, but the future is looking great!

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-09-2014 03:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone know of a similar forum for hearing issues? stanleydean 8 981 10-09-2015 02:37 PM
Last Post: quip
  RAID 1 issues justMongo 5 717 05-27-2015 09:27 AM
Last Post: AlanE
  [Health] Eye Issues PaulaO2 7 2,140 04-17-2015 05:24 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Pharmacy Issues justMongo 6 1,741 12-14-2013 12:05 AM
Last Post: justMongo
Exclaimation Godaddy sites all DOWN... DNS issues [Sept 10, 2012] SuperSleeper 12 4,477 10-05-2012 07:44 AM
Last Post: Duckdog58