Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hey, Y'all! I'm a newb!
Hey, Y'all! I'm a newb!
Hey, Y'all! Hi
I just wanted to say hello! I'm a newb to the world of sleep apnea, as a patient anyway. I had my split study last week and go for my CPAP setup on Wednesday. I've been a voyeur on this site for a good part of the day (shhhh...don't tell my boss! Shhh ). I've gathered a lot of good information to keep in mind on Wednesday. After reading some of these posts I'm thankful for my doctor. I only had to wait a week and a half for my initial appointment and when I left the office that day I had my study scheduled for less than two weeks later and I had my appointment for my setup. Yes, my DME is owned by the doctor. However, I know him, trust him, and didn't choose his clinic without research.
I'm excited and nervous to start the CPAP. Excited to finally get some good, quality sleep and deal with some health issues before they become full-blown, chronic health problems. I'm nervous because I had some mask panic issues during the titration phase of my study. I managed to mentally talk myself through it without intervention from my tech and apparently got some good sleep. It felt like it wasn't anytime she was waking me up and I was dreaming. But, it was scary feeling like I was smothering. I'm determined to make this work and know there are lots of options for machines and masks.
Wow! Sorry, didn't mean to write a book. Thanks for listening...um, reading? I'm sure I will bombard y'all with questions once I get started!

Peace!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hey, Y'all! I'm a newb!
Welcome Starrbelie!

I too woke up during my titration, feeling like I was being smothered in air! The thing was roaring down my throat like a jet engine, and I immediately ripped the mask off my face and called out to the tech. It also seemed to be giving me a severe headache. I let the tech know, and when she refitted the mask, the air was back down. And I slept the rest of the night like a baby, with no further issues.

So I think it'll all work itself out, over time. This board has really helped empower me with knowledge and also quelled my fears. You are gonna love it here! Smile
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
My problem was before I fell asleep, just as I was dozing off, I felt like I couldn't get enough air. I had to really dig deep and fight the urge to rip the mask off. I was giving myself a serious pep talk!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

It wouldn't surprise me if they do give you an APAP that they set your minimum pressure too low. You'll get lots of help here and we love questions!
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2015, 11:42 PM)Starrbelie Wrote: My problem was before I fell asleep, just as I was dozing off, I felt like I couldn't get enough air. I had to really dig deep and fight the urge to rip the mask off. I was giving myself a serious pep talk!

They were probably starting you at the lowest pressure of 4. Most people find that at that pressure you have a feeling of not getting enough air, or a feeling of suffocating. Glad you found this forum Starrbelie. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose! After some research on here I figured that was the case. Also, my chronic nasal stuffiness had to play a part.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Starrbelie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You've got a great attitude and that will go a long way toward your CPAP therapy.
Much success to you with your CPAP journey and the upcoming appointment, and oh, I promise, I won't tell your boss, ShhShh, (Ha-Ha.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Y'all!, I'm a newb!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Trish6hundred!! Hey, are you the official welcome wagon? Haha! I've noticed you're one of the first to welcome the newcomers. Thanks for the encouragement and for not ratting me out to my boss!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 268 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Another Newb Help/Oscar Post Gathermewool 9 16,466 02-03-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Gathermewool
  Newb with Questions itchy365 15 1,752 04-04-2020, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Another Newb... First Night DreamBreather 16 2,551 03-23-2018, 12:58 PM
Last Post: DreamBreather
  newb w resmed auto10 Justbreath 11 2,202 12-28-2017, 04:14 AM
Last Post: ajack
  Newb looking for support Emolpi123 13 2,693 11-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Newb Brisbane Hose Head BigWillyAus 10 2,590 10-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Last Post: BigWillyAus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.