Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi All...I'm a newcomer with a few questions!
Hi All...I'm a newcomer with a few questions!
Hello,

I will try to condense my story but I have browsed the boards before joining and I see how helpful everyone is so I would like to write as much background to maximize everyone's expertise here!

I snored pretty badly each night and I had to sleep on the sofa because of it! I noticed I was also exhausted everyday and would nap whenever I could. So I finally did a sleep study and it was the kind you go to the clinic and you bring the device home. The results were that I had "mild obstructive sleep apnea" and it showed an AHI of only 7 and the lowest oxygen saturation being 89%. Those numbers weren't going to let insurance cover anything for me. Unless my doctor wrote a letter of exception. So someone in the family had a ResMed Escape S8 that he used maybe once. He didn't like the mask or the device so I figured, heck...I'll try it! It came with the Mirage Quattro mask. I was thrilled with how I slept with it. I didn't use it every night but when I used it, I could sleep through the night and felt more refreshed. I had the setting at the lowest setting on the machine (I think 3 or 4??) and it seemed like more than enough.

But I started researching masks, etc because the Quattro had so many straps and was so cumbersome . So I ordered the AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow (everyone seems to love it) and it just arrived.

My questions are:

1) is the AirFit P10 a good fit for the Escape S8 or am I crazy for putting a very new style of mask with an older machine?

2) for my condition, will the lowest setting be a good starting point?

3) will I notice a big difference in sore throat with the P10? I didn't have any issues with throat or dryness in nose with the Quattro. I'd prefer not to use the humidifier that came with the Escape S8....I want to keep things as simple as possible!

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING AND HOPEFULLY ASSISTING ME AS I CONTINUE ON THIS JOURNEY FOR A MORE RESTFUL SLEEP! WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi All...I'm a newcomer with a few questions!
I'd get that letter of exception from your doc if you can. I had an AHI of 10 and I feel so much better now with CPAP. You can use the new mask with old machine but you will benefit from a titration or at minimum an auto machine like the S10 that can determine your optimal pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

1) The machine blow air. The masks direct it into your airways and maintain pressure. Mix and match as you desire.

2) Your guess is as good as any of ours. Anything less than 7 might leaving you feeling air starved. Without a tritiation or a data capable machine, all you really have to go on is "how do you feel?"

3) I don't understand why you are asking about a sore throat and the P10. Your question makes not sense without some context. And I don't understand your desire to not use the humidifier to "keep things simple". It is there for your comfort. It makes no sense to want to not use it.

Personally, I would not want to take this approach with a machine that is not data capable. But it is your life to live as you see fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RB73,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
4 is a very low pressure. Sometimes, that low of a pressure may make you feel like you aren't getting enough air.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RB73 and welcome to the forum!

The machine you have will not provide any sleep data other than your nightly AHI. You would benefit from a machine that is fully data capable. That means if you are getting a ResMed that you look for either an Elite, or and Auto CPAP machine.

Pretty much any mask can be used with any machine. Brand does not matter.

I would definitely get your doctor to write you a letter of exception especially seeing you are noticing a difference when using CPAP therapy vs not using it.

Good luck and keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
RB73 I have a few ideas for you. First with regard to your questions, the Airfit P10 will work with any CPAP bilevel or other contraption that blows air. Good choice. Second, the lowest setting is rarely the best, or even a good starting point. I would suggest you start at 6.0 and start sleeping with your wife again. She can be the auto in your CPAP by knocking you up side the head if you snore. If that happens, increase the pressure until she stops hitting you. Third, use the humidifier. Disinfect it with diluted vinegar, and completely rinse. You will need the humidity to avoid a sore throat and dry sinuses, especially when colder weather arrives.

Finally, save your money, and take a look on Amazon for a Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto. That $420 device is the latest and greatest in auto machines, and you even have a prescription. The new machine will give you complete data feedback so you will know how it's working, and it will be a considerable improvement over the S8. Also, once you have therapy established, don't be surprised if you get your bed and sex life back...good luck.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your input. Was good to hear some different ideas. A few of you sounded almost annoyed in your replies though, which is strange! The reason I said I'd rather not use humidifier if I didn't have to is we have 2 kids and I try to minimize having to do extra things as often as possible...hahaha! My question about the sore throat with the P10 is because it is a nasal pillow and just seems different than a full face mask so pardon my ignorance. Sheesh!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RB73! Welcome to the board. My sleep study prescription said I had to have humidifier. what I find frustrating is the water in the tube. If we have our attic fan going in the summer to bring cool air in, I get water in the tube and it gurgles. I bought a system that has a heated tube which is supposed to prevent that, but it hasn't been working.
Anyway - I use a cloth mask, and I don't have a sore throat. So, hopefully you'll find your new mask works well. I like the sleepweaver mask because I don't like the feel of plastic. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, spazmom!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 271 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 266 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,599 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.