Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi Everyone, another newbie.
Hi Everyone, another newbie.
Am on my second week of using a CPAP Machine.  I purchased a DeVilbiss fixed pressure and using a nasal pillow mask.  My setting is on 9cm and I can't get over how loud the machine is.  We live in a very quiet house in a rural area so nights are pretty quiet and machine sounds like we are on a plane.  Then when I inhale I sound like Darth Vadar.  My OH won't let me back into our bedroom until I can reduce the noise.  I have turned off the ramp feature and the smartflex inhale and exhale but the noise is still loud.

I have tried the Philips dream 'something' new mask the goes under the nose and hose on top of your head but that hasn't helped.  Is there anything I can do?  It works out at around 40 decibels, but just the constant noise is a worry.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi Everyone, another newbie.
Hi Cazno2,
Is this a new machine? It really shouldn't be that loud. There may be some problem with it.
If it is newer and under warranty, return it for replacement.

With that said, most of the ResMed and Phillips Respironics machines are pretty quiet.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Cazno2. Welcome to Apnea Board.

It sounds to me like there's something wrong with your machine. Most CPAPs operate in the 24 - 27 dB range, so 40 dB is far too loud. (By the way, how did you measure this?)

I'm not familiar with the De Vilbiss machines, but you should check that the seals and connections are properly closed up. eg, where the hose attaches to the machine, the humidifier chamber, filter in the back etc. If these all check out OK, then you should take it back for replacement. If you do need to take it back, I suggest you try and get an upgrade to an autoset machine (APAP) which can vary your pressure as needed through the night. The auto machines provide a much better quality of therapy for the majority of people.
Post Reply Post Reply
Speaking to noise reduction.

First -- Seriously consider the above advice.

That said relocate the machine.  
Place it on the floor, 
Place it inside your nightstand, make sure it has an open back or something so there is airflow.

I find the P10 pillows make VERY little noise.

Sleep-well

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cazno2,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would take the machine back to where you got it and try to get either a Respironics DreamStation AutoPAP,(not sure of model number,) or Resmed AirScense10 AutoSet machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed - something wrong with the machine. Machines nowadays are so quiet. They used to be very noisy many moons ago but not now. The only noise I sometimes get is from the mask air vent. Also you say you sound like Darth Vadar when you inhale....are you inhaling with your mouth open?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Everyone,

Answers to your questions are

Yes brand new machine
I did check decibels by using a phone app so understand it may not be highly accurate.
Have checked machine all over to make sure no leaks etc
Yes am breathing only through my nose. Cannot open mouth as way to much air comes out using nasal mask.
Machine is on the floor about a metre away from my head.
My machine does have a function to lower pressure on inhale or exhale but I don't like the feature as it made the machine louder when it drops and rises.
I did take the machine back after the first week of use. The sales rep gave me 2 new masks to try. The newer resmed Nasal pillow had a slightly lower noise but think it was the wrong size for me as woke up last night not being able to breath. Changed back to my older nasal pillow and could sleep again. In saying that, the new pillow had lovely mesh vents at the front and that was really good as no sound in escaping air.

My Mum has an older Phillips machine which is very quiet and we are taking both machines and all masks in next week to compare them all.

Question is can I return it? Am I allowed?
Post Reply Post Reply
worth a try, aussie law has some leeway. not fit for purpose and you notified them after one week. ring consumers affairs or whatever it is in your state., given you are buying another machine, which is more expensive, they might come to the party. the resmed 10 autoset is the better machine
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's faulty and brand new then yes you can change it...it would have a minimum of 12 months warranty. Agreed also, go for the Resmed AirSense. Please keep us updated
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with all the above advice. Just wanted to extend a welcome to Apnea Board! Good luck getting things sorted out!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 441 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 238 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 333 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 362 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.