Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi Everyone, another newbie.
RE: Hi Everyone, another newbie.
Wanting to add my two cents:

Noise from a CPAP set up can happen in three different places:

1) The machine itself makes noise, or rather the fan inside the machine makes noise.  As others have pointed out, this is usually in the mid 20s in terms of decibels and is usually quiet enough to not be bothersome to most people.

2) The air being blown through the hose and mask and out the exhaust ports can also make noise.  And some masks are "noisier" than others.    The "fix" for this noise is to figure out what the airflow is hitting and find a way to give the exhaust flow enough room to dissipate more quietly.  Masks that have diffusers for the exhaust vents are typically quieter than a similar mask without a diffused exhaust vent.  In other words, the P10 nasal pillows exhaust venting is significantly quieter than the FX nasal pillows exhaust venting.  Likewise, the Eson nasal mask is significantly quieter when the optional diffuser is used over the exhaust vents.

3) Unintentional leaks out the mouth or around the edge of the mask seal can be extremely noisy, but they also tend to be more intermittent.  Fixing the noise from an unintentional leak means fixing the leak itself.

The OP says she uses a nasal pillows mask and she writes:
Quote:... machine sounds like we are on a plane.  Then when I inhale I sound like Darth Vadar.
Given those facts, I have to say that my guess is that she's using the Swift FX nasal pillows mask since it has a pretty noisy exhaust vent ----particularly if it hits the bedcovers or the bed pillows AND she's implying the Darth Vadar noise (amplified sound of her normal hearing) is part of the problem.

So my advice: Try the Resmed P10 nasal mask.  See if that fixes the noise problem.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi Everyone, another newbie.
Thanks all. If I remove the mask and just cover the hose with my hand the machine sound shows near 40 decibels on my phone app, so even if machine is set to 9cm is this still excessive? Has anyone else measured their sound level?

But on a good note my AHI is 1.5 and it has pretty much stopped my snoring. I use the snore lab app to record my noise during the night and went from Epic for over 70% of sleep time to less than 1%. So am happy with that, just hope I can get a quieter machine.

And yes Robysue I am using the Swift FX nasal pillows, I keep the air vent away from anything so as to not hear the rush of air but you are right in which it could be amplifing the sound of air through hose. I did try the P10 pillow and was slightly quieter but I think the size was too small for me as woke up in the middle of the night struggling to breath in through the nose. Will try a
larger size.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 291 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.