Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi! I have a CPAP machine, but do I need it? Sleep study attached
Hi! I have a CPAP machine, but do I need it? Sleep study attached

Hi All,
I've spend a while reading through a lot of the threads here, there sure seems to be a lot of knowledge!

I was recently diagnosed with "mild sleep apnea."

This was after an overnight sleep study done at a sleep lab.

I then spent another night there for a "titration" and to set up my cpap machine.

I got the machine (ResMed 10) and have been using it for a few weeks, but then I went and took another look at my sleep study data.

Here's my sleep study data.  Does it look like I really need to be on a CPAP machine? I'm not sure what all the numbers mean, but it appears to me that my blood oxygen level is above 90% almost always (99.7% of the time?).  Do my AHI numbers seem high?  Anything else?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi! I have a CPAP machine, but do I need it? Sleep study attached
I have 3 more pages, but can't post them??
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I need 4 posts first.

So hopefully these count!

one more
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board. What the sleep study Summary doesn't say is how long your oxygen rate were at or below 88%.

It does say you had 27 events during REM. I'd guess that yes you'll benefit from CPAP. It would really help if you could post a chart from sleepyhead. The links for downloading and posting are below. Until you have more than 4 posts you'll need to post the address for the chart by putting a break in the address. Example would be ht tp://.

Also what pressures are you using now and what PHI are you getting?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I think I only need a couple more posts and I can link to all 5 pages of my sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
https://imgur.com/G7fmvAs
https://imgur.com/yqgapl5
https://imgur.com/mXcoqYZ

<Moderator action: Links fixed>
Post Reply Post Reply
So what pressures are your machine set at and what's your AHI been?
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll sheepishly admit I don't know what pressures the machine is set at.
I think they set it at prescribed pressures before sending it to me.
I can try and check when I get home tonight.
It says my "Events per hour (AHI)" has ranged between a low of 1.3 and a high of 4 over the past 2 weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well if your getting an AHI as high as 4 with the CPAP treatment that pretty much says you need it.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Here are your last 3-images:

[Image: G7fmvAs.jpg]

[Image: yqgapl5.jpg]

[Image: mXcoqYZ.jpg]

You have mild sleep apnea, that is higher in REM sleep (9.2/hour) than in other sleep stages (2.5 overall). You seem to have a much higher RDI which CPAP can help. You also have periodic leg movements which is disruptive to sleep at a rate of 15/hour, which disrupts your sleep less than once per hour (0.8).  Sleep tests are far from perfect, and the clinical environment can make it difficult to sleep and you may have a better or worse event rate at home, and from day to day.

You are the best judge of whether this leaves you feeling tired or dysfunctional in any way.  The fact you have some heart arrhythmia is something you should monitor as obstructive sleep apnea can contribute to a risk for A-fib.  So treatment may help prevent that problem from becoming worse, and help with your sleep quality.  Therapy may also disrupt your sleep due to the pressure, wearing a mask, leaks and other therapy related disruptions.  It's a hard call and you're on the borderline for medical necessity.  If you give it a fair chance, you can judge if you're feeling better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 2 76 11 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,047 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  New Bilevel user help with settings (oscar attached) opo218 6 123 Yesterday, 02:56 PM
Last Post: opo218
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,335 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 259 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 106 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 216 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.