Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi, I'm new and two weeks into therapy
RE: Hi, I'm new and two weeks into therapy
I had such a good day today! Still not 100%, but much better than all last week. Hope to be turning a corner!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my first SleepyHead report:

[Image: 2m3g4cp.png]

Interesting that the SmartLink software says AHI was 2.1 instead (AI: 0.4, HI: 1.7, NRI: 0.6)

The Smartcode then rounds that up and gives:

Fourth night on 6-12:

AHI: 2.5
95th: 7.0
90th: 6.5
Plateau: 0%
High Leak Flow: 0%
NOI: 0.75
EPI: 2
While Breathing Hours: 7.8

Took 1mg melatonin before going to sleep again (didn't have to wake up early Sunday). I remember waking up a couple times later in the night sleeping on my back... seeing the snoring there reminded me of that. Wife has said I've pretty much stopped snoring since I started the therapy. But I really need to try the tennis ball tucked in the shirt trick, see if I can bring that down even further.

Any thoughts on the SH report? Thanks for all the help! We'll see how I feel during the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Huesito, are the summary numbers you are using coming from Smartcode? It looks like it is adding Apnea + Hypopnea + snores. This is a pretty significant departure from Sleepyhead and most AHI calculations.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2016, 10:01 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Huesito, are the summary numbers you are using coming from Smartcode? It looks like it is adding Apnea + Hypopnea + snores. This is a pretty significant departure from Sleepyhead and most AHI calculations.

The summary I put above certainly does come from SmartCode, but I think it's just a rounding up to 0.5 increments of what the SmartLink software calculated as AHI (2.1)

I can post the AHI graphs of both SH and SL if you want to take a look, but frankly, they appear to be pretty much the same. If you look at the Obstructive and Hypopnea indices on SH, they're different from the ones SL reports (perhaps an importer problem?), and I think that's where the difference is.

Anything that stands out from the SH report in your opinion? Biggest problem seems to be hypopneas?

Thanks again for your insight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Huesito,
I know very little about your machine/software, but it looks to me like Sleepyhead is recording:
Obstructives 2.5 and Hypopneas 1.38, which adds up to 1.63 AHI.

Smartlink adds a Non Responding Event (?) of .50 and adds it to above for 2.13 AHI.

I don't know what a NRE is, but it is listed separately from the snores. Snores are not added to AHI.

Hypopneas aren't bad, but could be just a matter of raising your minimum pressure up a bit.

Either way, it all looks good. How do you feel? Hopefully better. like

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2016, 10:22 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi Huesito,
I know very little about your machine/software, but it looks to me like Sleepyhead is recording:

Smartlink adds a Non Responding Event (?) of .50 and adds it to above for 2.13 AHI.

I don't know what a NRE is, but it is listed separately from the snores. Snores are not added to AHI.

Hypopneas aren't bad, but could be just a matter of raising your minimum pressure up a bit.

Hi Opal, thanks for your input. My understanding from reading their reports is that NRE are basically what you guys call Central Apneas. That is, events it detects that are not obstructive, and thus do not raise the pressure.

I've felt very good yesterday. I'm hoping for more of the same today and hopefully this week!

EDIT: I think you meant to say that SH sees 0.25 Obstructive and 1.38 Hypopneas?

The SmartLink software sees 0.4 Obstructive and 1.7 Hypopneas. I don't know why the discrepancy, but I'll keep an eye on it in the next few days and see if at least they're consistently off.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2016, 10:35 AM)Huesito Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 10:22 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi Huesito,

Hi Opal, thanks for your input. My understanding from reading their reports is that NRE are basically what you guys call Central Apneas. That is, events it detects that are not obstructive, and thus do not raise the pressure.

I've felt very good yesterday. I'm hoping for more of the same today and hopefully this week!

EDIT: I think you meant to say that SH sees 0.25 Obstructive and 1.38 Hypopneas?

YEP, PUT THE DECIMAL IN WRONG PLACE.Smile
[b]CENTRAL OR CLEAR AIRWAY EVENTS ARE ADDED TO AHI IN SLEEPYHEAD.

The SmartLink software sees 0.4 Obstructive and 1.7 Hypopneas. I don't know why the discrepancy, but I'll keep an eye on it in the next few days and see if at least they're consistently off.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hrm, comparing the importers between SH and SL, not a whole lot of differences in the stuff that seemingly matters. Mostly SH has the pressure bin calculation off by a bit, and also the leak time off, and doesn't import the I/E ratio. But generally speaking, Apnea/Hypopnia/Mixed counts are proper...

Do the SleepyHead author posts here? I would be glad to document the file format if that would be desirable. Even the optional oxymeter data when it's available.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, just found jedimark is here and sent him a message.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fifth night on 6-12:

[Image: 2mmbdjr.png]

There's again a small discrepancy with the SL software, but I can tell it's minimal and fairly consistent (SL said OA = 0.2, HA: 2.8: AHI: 3.0)

Doing the calculations by hand, I get numbers closer to the SH numbers than SL, so that's positive.

One discrepancy is that SH always adds the ramp time to start, and I don't think that's correct. This discrepancy is visible in the pressure graphs from SH vs SL. Ramp only happens when I press the Delay button. There's a flag in one of the data fields from the IntelliPAP logs that describe when it's in Delay mode, but the current IntelliPAP importer in SH isn't aware of it. I sent jedimark a PM describing the file formats for the IntelliPAP, but he hasn't been around lately.

SleepRider, if you know of any other SH devs that might want to take a look, I'll be happy to post/send you that information. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, SH is a heck of a program, just trying to contribute. Smile

I think it's getting time to increase the lower pressure back up and see if I can avoid more of those Hypopneas. I do have to say that since reducing the lower pressure to 6, I've been sleeping a lot more comfortably, but that might also be related to the fact that I no longer seem to have a cold. I think I'll go back up to 8-12 for a week, check what I'm getting there and see what's the next step.

Any thoughts are appreciated, and thanks everyone again!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,062 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 158 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 253 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,352 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 321 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.