Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] mask choices
mask choices
Is there a professional guide to identify the best mask choice to address specific concerns?

My wife has had unsuccessful in adjusting to the two masks which the supplier has suggested. CPAP is being used to improve blood oxygenation and the prescribed air pressure is very low (5.0). Problems are:
- she hated the nasal pillow (ResMed Mirage Swift Nasal Pillow Mask for Her)
- she is not adjusting to Mirage FX Nasal Mask, based on a short trial period

Problems/needs:

- suffocation sensation
- claustrophobia
- nasal congestion (a pre-existing problem)
- uncomfortable pressure around the nose
- she has low tolerance and willingness to persist, notwithstanding a strong medical need
- need to wear reading glasses while wearing the mask, preferably on top of the mask
- due to her interrupted sleep pattern, she needs to be able to put on the mask while watching TV in bed in the evening and leave it on til morning, notwithstanding waking up several times during the night to read or watch TV. Her attempts with the two masks mentioned above has worsened her sleep pattern.

I have identified SleepWeaver as a possibility.

She is using a ResMed S9 machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask choices
There is no professional guide that I am aware of.

Unsure

However, this Wiki Page might be of benefit to you and your wife.

You also need to work with your DME using the criteria you listed to see what mask might work.

Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
She can try different masks but it doesn't sound like that'll be productive. Her issue is simply acclimation to the mask. She can try wearing it while she's awake and doing things other than trying to fall asleep.

The nasal pillows should help with the nasal congestion. NeilMed sinus rinse is also a good idea for nasal congestion.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Barryt,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What cbramsey and Sleepster said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post andbest of luck to you and your wife.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Barryt, I have heard the sleepweaver works well at low pressures like your wifes, it's worth a try, good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier number 1's web site on the supplier list is a good place to look at mask pictures.

A nasal pillow mask like the Swift FX only touches the end of the nose, and doesn't block the glasses. Sometimes you have to toughen up the nose a bit. When I switched, I would wear it a few hours a night, then switch to my older mask, and sometimes I'd just use the old mask all night. Now, the Swift FX feels like part of me.

If she can't handle the nasal congestion, a full face mask may be necessary. One of the "hybrid" types can avoid the glasses problems.

I don't think Sleepweaver is necessarily that good for use with glasses.

My ComfortGel Blue mask worked pretty well with glasses, but I had to put the glasses on first and then put the mask on, and I couldn't take the glasses off without removing the mask. This might or might not work based on your particular face shape, mask size, and glasses.

Does she have sleep apnea?

Suffocating feeling is often a sign that the CPAP pressure is too low.

We need to know which ResMed S9 machine she has. It should say something next to the power button.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the original SleepWeaver and the sleepWeaver Élan which I really like, but it does not work well with nasal congestion. It is the MOST comfortable mask I have used.
I frequently watch TV with the Élan and I could but don't usually wear my glasses with it.
I find all the nasal pillow puff prong masks irritate my nostrils.
Post Reply Post Reply
Has she tried the Quattro FX yet?
That is a full face mask but keeping the nose open is not as important.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,147 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,751 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] CPAP Machine Choices - Jerry Sends Buying CPAP Out Of Network Jerry Sends 11 1,683 03-01-2022, 01:35 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  [Equipment] High RDI low AHI. Overwhelmed with machine choices, OSCAR data, etc.. ldinks 8 2,655 12-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] Oxygen Concentrator Choices mgwmgw 1 910 10-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.