Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi from new member
Hi from new member
Hi all,

I'm new here - 43 yo and self-diagnosed with sleep apnea.  For a couple years now, I've known from my risk factors and symptoms that I had OSA (high BMI, large neck, witnessed apnea, fatigue, high blood pressure, brain fog), but I kept putting off the doctor's appt and sleep study.

Once I found out that I could buy the gear without a prescription and that it wasn't multiple thousands of dollars, I pulled the trigger on Amazon and am now in the process of figuring out settings that work for me.  I bought a Respironics DreamStation Auto.  

The Sleepyhead data shows plenty of obstructive events, and I already feel better with CPAP (or APAP), so I'm pretty sure the self-diagnosis was a correct one.  At some point I may get an in-lab study and see a sleep doctor, but I'm not in a rush to do so.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences and learning a lot from the folks here.

-SR
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi from new member
Hi Shin Ryoku, Welcome to Apnea Board!

When you are ready and wish to share your data, we would be happy to advise.

Follow the tutorials in my signature line. Especially pay attention to the “organizing” of your graphs, and use an outside source like imgur to post here.

Until you reach member status, just insert a space in the link from imgur, and we can figure it out.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, OpalRose, will do!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Shin Ryoku,
WELCOME to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Trish! Tons of good information here. I'm looking forward to feeling better. So far, so good!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are having obstructive events, the problem is your minimum pressure is too low. The Philips Respironics Dreamstation is a great machine once you have adjusted the minimum pressure to within 2-3 cm of your therapeutic requirement, otherwise it will leave you gasping for air with OA and H events. Take a look at your median pressure, and set your minimum to at least that level and you will do better. If you are starting with 4-20 pressure, this may take a couple iterations, but it will work to reduce your AHI by about 50% with each adjustment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2017, 08:38 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you are having obstructive events, the problem is your minimum pressure is too low.  The Philips Respironics Dreamstation is a great machine once you have adjusted the minimum pressure to within 2-3 cm of your therapeutic requirement, otherwise it will leave you gasping for air with OA and H events.  Take a look at your median pressure, and set your minimum to at least that level and you will do better.  If  you are starting with 4-20 pressure, this may take a couple iterations, but it will work to reduce your AHI by about 50% with each adjustment.

Thanks, Sleeprider.  That's what I am seeing so far.  I've been at it for a week and gradually raising my minimum.  Currently up to 8-20 and seeing fewer obstructive events but still have a ways to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's what I got last night:

[Image: 37912135442_0f96cbed11_c.jpg]

My obstructive events are much fewer in number since I increased minimum from 7-8 up to 10, and I'm waking up less since I lowered my max from 20 to 14.  

Not sure where to go from here.  Should I keep increasing the minimum or see if I can tolerate a higher maximum?  Or leave things alone and see if my AHI continues to improve on these settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it was my chart I'd raise to 12 and 16 max. I'd do this because the med is 13.6 and the 95% is 14. I think this will further reduce your OA
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! In general, is it best to try a setting for a few nights before making changes, or is one night enough time to see if something is working?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 498 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,560 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,014 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 458 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 429 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.