Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi, hope someone can help me. One machine says one thing, the other is different AHI
RE: Hi, hope someone can help me. One machine says one thing, the other is different AHI
Your normal breaths show as fuller, taller, more area under the curve, The expiratory portion is greatly reduced indicating breathing out thru your mouth, and you say you are using a nasal mask so that makes sense.  Normally you would be exhaling thru your nose.  You could be inhaling thru both your mouth and nose and exhaling mostly thru your mouth which would make this a false hypopnea because the breath was not fully measured.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi, hope someone can help me. One machine says one thing, the other is different AHI
That makes sense, I am finding that at times I am getting a dry throat. I normally breathe through my nose, but those few times I realized it could be mouth breathing.  There are a lot of identical ones that look like that in my chart. Could the difference in AHI be due to that as opposed to my old Res Med?  I am thinking of hooking it up and seeing what the stats are? What are your thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2019, 04:53 PM)bonjour Wrote: Your normal breaths show as fuller, taller, more area under the curve, The expiratory portion is greatly reduced indicating breathing out thru your mouth, and you say you are using a nasal mask so that makes sense.  Normally you would be exhaling thru your nose.  You could be inhaling thru both your mouth and nose and exhaling mostly thru your mouth which would make this a false hypopnea because the breath was not fully measured.
Last night I did an experiment and my AHI was 1.88 instead of the higher numbers. I taped my mouth and the numbers are much better. I guess I am mouth breathing and this might be what is causing the higher AHI. When I go for my sleep study I will do the same thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2019, 06:20 AM)Maxmom Wrote:
(08-11-2019, 04:53 PM)bonjour Wrote: Your normal breaths show as fuller, taller, more area under the curve, The expiratory portion is greatly reduced indicating breathing out thru your mouth, and you say you are using a nasal mask so that makes sense.  Normally you would be exhaling thru your nose.  You could be inhaling thru both your mouth and nose and exhaling mostly thru your mouth which would make this a false hypopnea because the breath was not fully measured.
Last night I did an experiment and my AHI was 1.88 instead of the higher numbers. I taped my mouth and the numbers are much better. I guess I am mouth breathing and this might be what is causing the higher AHI. When I go for my sleep study I will do the same thing.

I would be surprised if the techs in a sleep study let you tape your mouth. They would more than likely recommend you use a full face mask during the study.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They will have to deal with the problem of severe claustrophobia. They put a full face on me the first sleep study and I had a full blown panic attack and ended up in the ER. I have gotten used to the pillows and can tolerate it. Tape, I feel in control. A chin strap does not work for me. When I taped I did it with cloth tape, from under my nose to under my chin. I still could breath from my mouth if I had to, but I guess that position kept my mouth shut enough not to drop.
Post Reply Post Reply
D
(08-12-2019, 06:58 AM)Maxmom Wrote: They will have to deal with the problem of severe claustrophobia. They put a full face on me the first sleep study and I had a full blown panic attack and ended up in the ER. I have gotten used to the pillows and can tolerate it. Tape, I feel in control. A chin strap does not work for me.

I understand claustrophobia.  That is why I use a nasal pillow mask.  I had trouble with mouth breathing early on, and found on this Forum a technique called “Tongue Suck Technique.”

It took a couple months of practice, but is well worth to have control over mouth breathing if you can master it.  

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

Not saying you shouldn’t use tape in you own sleep environment, as many here do and it works for them.
I’m just pointing out that in a Medical Environment, they may have issues with that.  However, you should let them know early on that you are claustrophobic.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed, they probably will not be happy about it. I have found doctors do not understand panic attacks as well, they think it's something you can control and it's not that, it just comes on at any moment without warning. I have done the exercise you mentioned, I start out there at night but I guess I lose the placement at times. Hopefully I can get back to those very low numbers, but I sure see the difference with the S9 and the Dream station.  Oh, question please. If you have 2 sessions from getting up to heed natures call, do you add both AHI numbers to get the night total?  Thanks so much for all your help/
Post Reply Post Reply
The OSCAR software will show both sessions if the break is more than 60 seconds, and the software will add all sessions together and average the AHI.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feature request -- Air11 time zone, have OSCAR do the right thing. cathyf 1 630 04-01-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Setting up new machine (or SD card) to include daa from trial machine registered in S Sheila 5 767 12-21-2021, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Sheila
  Oscar - Weird date thing happening ? DaveCar 3 530 11-25-2021, 09:18 PM
Last Post: DaveCar
  Can a machine provider remotely program your cpap machine? calcuttaman 20 11,625 04-20-2019, 09:29 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  Any hope of getting Sleepyhead for DreamStation AutoSV? DaisyFields 0 1,120 06-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: DaisyFields

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.