Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi leakage readout
Hi leakage readout
Have been using my new ResMed AirSense 10 VAUTO for the last two weeks with Philips dream wear nasal mask.  The mask is the one that uses a soft thing that goes under the nose but does not go up the nose.  I get green  Smile 's for both mask and humidifier even though I get high readings for leakage.  I am trying chin strap but nothing seems to work with regard to reducing the readings for leakage.  LEAKAGE is in the range from about 35 to 48.  IS ANY ONE USING AIRSENSE 10 VAUTO WITH THE dREAM WEAR NASAL MASK???  i would like to know what type of readings they are getting for leakage.  When I do a mask setup,  it tells me that the mask is not leaking.  I do not believe that I am leaking air from the mouth.  But I can not figure out why I get high leakage reading.  Can't feel any air leakage around mask or machine.  I need help.  Any and all replies and suggestions will be appreciated.  

SleepyAl     Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi leakage readout
It may be that even with your mouth held closed you are blowing air out around your teeth and through your lips. I need a full face mask because I can't prevent that. Some tape their lips with medical tape to prevent such leaks. Personally, I'm not comfortable with that and find the AirFit F29 FFM mask to be quite comfortable.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
How are your AHIs? If tend to be > 1, you may have related cause(s) of elevated AHI and leakage.
If AHIs tend to be < 1, then the next question is, I believe (someone correct me if I’m wrong) is whether the elevated leak is related to any oxygen desaturation.
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I use p10 nasal pillow mask. I get too many closed mouth lip leaks. a soft cervical collar helps make them manageable, by which I mean not too often over the red line. I think the problem now is that if I have an uninterrupted sleep session long enough to reach deep sleep (whatever that is; maybe more frequent in sessions longer than say 2 hours; more frequent the longer the session) I awake to find myself on my back (I try to sleep on one side or another). for me, supine and more dead to the world than most of the night -> dry mouth, lip leaks. the traditional 'cure' is the tennis ball sewn into pj's or similar. I always thought that's silly - why wake yourself up with tennis ball to roll over when waking up is partly what we're trying avoid, but now the leaks may make it necessary. it's on my todo list.

it's also possible there's a pinhole in your hose or somewhere else in the circuit.
Post Reply Post Reply
I learned something early this morning. as I gradually became conscious (a very pleasant thing; I usually wake abruptly), I noticed my mouth slowly filling with air, building to the point it pushed past closed lips and leaked, while a quiet wheezing sound came continuously from the back of my throat. air was slipping by whatever it is that blocks air to mouth (soft palate?). notably, I was not on my back, but on my side. this went on for quite a while. I'd doze, then surface to the sound of the slight wheeze / snore. each time I'd move my tongue forward and up to close the mouth off, repeat, repeat, repeat. pretty subtle. first time noticed in 2.5 years.

I guess my instinctive remedy is like what folks call the tongue suck method, which I've never come close to mastering. just not enough room in mouth for this tongue, but now that I think I know what it feels like, I might be able to practice it more.

maybe something else to watch for (the palate thing), and try (the tongue suck method - search the forum for more info), SleepyAl.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the reply.  First, I must apologize for the fact that I am using the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO instead of the Airsense 10 as listed in my
last listing.  Sorry I got them mixed up.  I am using the Philips Dream Wear large nasal headgear with medium under nose piece.   In regard to the leakage, I am getting readings like 38 or 43 L/m.   Sleep doctors are booked up in this area.  Can't get appt. till nearJuly.   Oh-jeez Huhsign   Too-funny  

The following  is s list of reading from ResMed for Satraday the 27th.
TOTAL USAGE:  9HRS,  9MINS
AHI 13,   AI 12.10
Respiraator Rate:  Max 25,   95% 22,    Median 19   breath/min
Minute Ventilation L/Min:   Max 15,   95%  9.0,     Median 8.0
LEAK  L/Min:   Max 52.80,   95% 38.40,  Median  0.0
MEDIAN I:E Ratio %:   1:1.64
TIDAL  VOLUME  ml:    Max 1160,   95% 540,  Median 360
IPAP  cmH20:    Max 16.9,   95% 15.4,   Median 13.4
EPAP  cmH20:    Max 13.0    95% 11.3,   Median 9.5
% Spontaneous Cycled Breaths:  82 

This is everything I can come up with.   
SleepyAl
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you download some OSCAR charts? (how to organize them is in Organize link in my signature.
Looking at the charts is IMHO a better way of seeing what's going on than just looking at summaries.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 107 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 260 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Why do I need to get my flow limitation and leakage down? Kathy14225 12 1,428 09-30-2023, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Mask 'Pulsing/Jumping' - Plus leakage issues Jake B 4 3,203 09-21-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: HULK
  Resmed Airfit F30 Mask Leakage jerrydaw 28 7,572 09-20-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: car54
  N30i leakage alvaro212 11 1,858 07-23-2023, 04:22 AM
Last Post: BAZZA
Question [Diagnosis] Central Apnea associated with mask leakage? wdfarmer 9 1,946 07-14-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Cam12

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.