Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Mouth Leaks and Frequent Awakenings
Mouth Leaks and Frequent Awakenings
Hey all, hoping someone has had this same experience and can offer some advice. I’ve been using the N30i mask for a couple months and love it. I fall asleep very quickly and feel very comfortable wearing it. Very early on I realized mouth leaks were waking me up and making my mouth bone dry so I began taping my mouth which works great, but I’m still waking up throughout the night and feel tired and unrefreshed all day. For a little bit of background info: I'm an otherwise healthy 37 male, 5'-10", 190 lbs, moderately active/go to the gym 4-5 days per week, no problem falling asleep, all of my lab work is great, blood pressure is healthy, normal ECG except for sinus bradycardia, no medications.

I’ve tuned my machine settings pretty well and therapy overall is going great according to the most recent data. Using CPAP mode at 8cmh2o with EPR at 1 seems to provide me with a good balance of keeping both CAs and flow limits low while treating pretty much all other apneas. Most CAs I get are while I’m awake in the middle of the night when I take slow breaths. I will feel the pressure pulse from the machine and know it’s flagging it as a CA.

I believe (could be wrong though) that I’ve narrowed down the awakenings to air leaking into my mouth and puffing out my cheeks. I don’t have any unusual nasal congestion that would force my body to try and mouth breathe. I breathe with my nose all day and have no problem sealing my tongue against the back of my throat when I’m conscious but I think it relaxes and breaks that seal once I fall asleep. I notice this happen sometimes as I fall back and forth between awake and N1 sleep very early in the morning. Is there any kind of dental device made to keep the tongue pressed back there? Has anyone else dealt with this, and how did you solve it? Any other suggestions you have that could be causing me to wake up? My sleep doctor doesn't have any ideas to help me. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth Leaks and Frequent Awakenings
Sorry to reply to myself but I was too late to edit the original post. I was thinking, and would this maybe be more of a matter of the soft palate relaxing and not the tongue? Would a higher pressure be better to press the soft palate up against the tongue?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 285 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.