Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi there! New cpap user here...
Hi there! New cpap user here...
Hey everyone! Wave
Just wanted to say hi as I'm brand new here.

I was diagnosed with mild OSA last month. I finally got a sleep study done as I have suspected for a few years now that I had a problem. I have been on my cpap therapy for 2 weeks now. I am in the process of picking the kind of mask I prefer.

I'm thinking of buying my machine online rather than renting through the supplier because I will spend about half if I do it online, although it won't go towards my insurance deductible. But, oh well. I don't see any point in renting and paying double in the long run.

What do you all do? Rent or buy online?

~ Tigerlily ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hi there! New cpap user here...
read here first, Archangle:Machine Choices
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk

I don't know much yet, like auto vs. manual. I'm not even 100% sure of which machine I have.
It is a Phillips Respironics System One Remstar 60 series. But...I don't know if it is Pro, or Plus? Huh I see both online and don't know which one to get. I own the humidifier already so I guess I have to got with one of the above to fit my humidifier.

I also have no idea how people know if they have leaks or not and how many ahi's they have a night. Mine only shows me total therapy hours. I want more info! Bigwink

Tigerlily
~ Tigerlily ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tigerlily,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you do buy your machine online, you can get the one you want.
The link zonk gave you in the above post is a really good place to start.
Best of luck and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2013, 08:45 PM)Tigerlily Wrote: Thanks Zonk

I don't know much yet, like auto vs. manual. I'm not even 100% sure of which machine I have.
It is a Phillips Respironics System One Remstar 60 series. But...I don't know if it is Pro, or Plus? Huh I see both online and don't know which one to get. I own the humidifier already so I guess I have to got with one of the above to fit my humidifier.

I also have no idea how people know if they have leaks or not and how many ahi's they have a night. Mine only shows me total therapy hours. I want more info! Bigwink

Tigerlily

Take the water tank out so you don't spill water into the machine. Look at the label on the bottom of the blower unit for something like "460P REF"

Also, look near the display for "REMstar blahblah" and tell us what it says.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2013, 08:45 PM)Tigerlily Wrote: It is a Phillips Respironics System One Remstar 60 series. But...I don't know if it is Pro, or Plus?

It should be printed right on the machine, either Remstar Plus or Remstar Pro.

Quote:I also have no idea how people know if they have leaks or not and how many ahi's they have a night. Mine only shows me total therapy hours. I want more info!

Then it's probably the Remstar Plus. You need the Remstar Pro to get that kind of information.

If you live in the US and have insurance it may end up costing you the same whether you rent-to-buy or just outright buy. Call your insurance company to find out. Also call your equipment supplier and tell them you want the Remstar Pro. Your insurance company will have a list of DME (durable medical equipment) suppliers. Call different DME's and find out their prices. Once the DME's find out you're shopping around for a better deal they'll be more forthcoming and less likely to think they can take advantage of you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2013, 08:29 PM)Tigerlily Wrote: Hey everyone! Wave
Just wanted to say hi as I'm brand new here.

I was diagnosed with mild OSA last month.

That's like having a mild heart attack.
For some of us there's nothing mild about it.

Quote:I finally got a sleep study done as I have suspected for a few years now that I had a problem. I have been on my cpap therapy for 2 weeks now. I am in the process of picking the kind of mask I prefer.

There are several to choose from. There's one out there waiting just for you.

Quote:What do you all do? Rent or buy online?

I had to pay a portion of it for my first CPAP in 1997, 98, somewhere around there. But this time a replacement isn't costing me anything. Gotta love those government disability programs. LOL that's a lie. The government as usual is so full of carp and it doesn't matter what country it is. But miraculously the social program involved in my case has improved.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bob10143: I split your post into its own thread so it can get the attention it deserves.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
[/quote]Take the water tank out so you don't spill water into the machine. Look at the label on the bottom of the blower unit for something like "460P REF"

Also, look near the display for "REMstar blahblah" and tell us what it says.
[/quote]

Here's what I found:

On the top of the machine - Philips Respironics REMstar System One
Nothing on the sides, front or back
On the bottom - REF 150P

Now, is that P for Pro or Plus? Laugh-a-lot

~ Tigerlily ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:That's like having a mild heart attack.
For some of us there's nothing mild about it.

Hi Ugly Smile Yes. I was thinking my diagnosis would be severe, or at minimum, moderate. I was shocked it was mild because I had a LOT of symptoms!! I was told and read that you can have "mild" osa and have a lot of bad symptoms. Or you may have severe osa and not have many symptoms at all. I find that a bit puzzling!

~ Tigerlily ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,485 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,040 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,016 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,592 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.