Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hic ups
Hic ups
I have another question.... I have woken a couple of times with something like hic ups... all I have done is turn off my machine take off my mask for a minute and put it back on and go to sleep. Would it just be me not being in "sync" with the air blowing in?? just curious if anyone else has this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hic ups
I haven't had this happen, but until someone offers more possibilities, here's Mayo Clinic's list of Causes for Hiccups:

Mayo Clinic Wrote:Hiccups

By Mayo Clinic staff

Hiccups are involuntary contractions of the diaphragm — the muscle that separates your chest from your abdomen and plays an important role in breathing. Each contraction is followed by a sudden closure of your vocal cords, which produces the characteristic "hic" sound.

Hiccups may result from a large meal, alcoholic beverages or sudden excitement. In some cases, hiccups may be a sign of an underlying medical condition. For most people, a bout of hiccups usually lasts only a few minutes. Rarely, hiccups may persist for months. This can result in malnutrition and exhaustion.
Symptoms

The characteristic sound of a hiccup is the only sign. Sometimes the only symptom is a slight tightening sensation in your chest, abdomen or throat that precedes the sound.

When to see a doctor

Make an appointment to see your doctor if your hiccups last more than 48 hours or if they are so severe that they cause problems with eating, sleeping or breathing.
Causes

The most common triggers for short-term hiccups include:

Eating too much
Drinking carbonated beverages
Drinking too much alcohol
Sudden temperature changes
Excitement or emotional stress

Hiccups that last more than 48 hours may be caused by a variety of factors, which are generally grouped into the following categories:

Nerve damage or irritation

The most common cause of long-term hiccups is damage or irritation of the vagus nerves or phrenic nerves, which serve the diaphragm muscle. Factors that may cause damage or irritation to these nerves include:

A hair or something else in your ear touching your eardrum
Sore throat or laryngitis
A tumor, cyst or goiter in your neck
Gastroesophageal reflux

Central nervous system disorders

A tumor or infection in your central nervous system or damage to your central nervous system as a result of trauma can disrupt your body's normal control of the hiccup reflex. Examples include:

Stroke
Multiple sclerosis
Tumors
Meningitis
Encephalitis
Traumatic brain injury

Metabolic disorders and drugs

Long-term hiccups can be triggered by:

Alcoholism
Anesthesia
Barbiturates
Diabetes
Electrolyte imbalance
Kidney failure
Steroids
Tranquilizers

Risk factors

Factors that may increase your risk of hiccups include:

Your sex. Men are much more likely to develop long-term hiccups than are women.
Mental or emotional issues. Anxiety, stress and excitement have been associated with some cases of short-term and long-term hiccups.
Surgery. Some people develop hiccups after undergoing general anesthesia or after procedures that involve abdominal organs.

Complications

Prolonged hiccups may interfere with:

Speech
Eating
Sleeping
Post-surgical wound healing

Preparing for your appointment

While you may initially consult your family physician about your persistent hiccups, he or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in neurological or gastrointestinal disorders.

What you can do

You may want to write a list that includes:

Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
Information about medical problems you've had
Information about the medical problems of your parents or siblings
All the medications and dietary supplements you take
Questions you want to ask the doctor

What to expect from your doctor

Your doctor may ask:

When did your hiccups start?
How often do they occur?
Is there anything that worsens or alleviates them?
What medications are you taking?
Have you had a sore throat or earache?

Tests and diagnosis

During the physical exam, your doctor may perform a neurological exam, to check your:

Reflexes
Muscle strength
Muscle tone
Sight and sense of touch
Coordination
Balance

If your doctor suspects an underlying medical condition may be causing your hiccups, he or she may recommend one or more of the following tests:

Laboratory tests

Samples of your blood may be checked for signs of:

Infection
Diabetes
Kidney disease

Imaging tests

These types of tests may be able to detect anatomical abnormalities that may be affecting the vagus nerve, phrenic nerve or diaphragm. Imaging tests may include:

Chest X-ray
Computerized tomography (CT) scan
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)

Endoscopic tests

These procedures utilize a thin, flexible tube containing a tiny camera, which is passed down your throat to check for problems in your esophagus or windpipe.
Treatments and drugs

Most cases of hiccups go away on their own, without medical treatment. If an underlying medical condition is causing your hiccups, treatment of that illness may eliminate the hiccups. The following treatments may be considered for hiccups that have lasted longer than two days.

Medications

Drugs commonly used to treat long-term hiccups include:

Chlorpromazine, classified as an antipsychotic
Metoclopramide (Reglan), an anti-nausea drug
Baclofen (Lioresal), a muscle relaxant

Surgical and other procedures

If less invasive treatments aren't effective, your doctor may recommend an injection of an anesthetic to block your phrenic nerve to stop hiccups. Another option is to surgically implant a battery-operated device to deliver mild electrical stimulation to your vagus nerve. This procedure is most commonly used to treat epilepsy, but it has also helped control persistent hiccups.
Lifestyle and home remedies

Although there's no surefire way to stop hiccups, if you have a bout of hiccups that lasts longer than a few minutes, the following home remedies may provide relief:

Breathe into a paper bag
Gargle with ice water
Hold your breath
Sip cold water

Alternative medicine

When long-term hiccups don't respond to other remedies, alternative treatments, such as hypnosis and acupuncture, may be helpful.
Prevention

You may be able to decrease your frequency of short-term hiccups by avoiding common hiccup triggers, such as:

Eating large meals
Drinking carbonated beverages or alcohol
Sudden changes in temperature
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Gosh now that's a huge list! well mine only happened with mask on and stopped as soon as I turned the machine off.... so I can safely cross of most of what is on this list maybe?? lol
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOmyohDUUQ7Nw0YWQilP-...d5R0WCKkpg] does the trick for me
Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2012, 02:45 AM)Ulrika Wrote: I have another question.... I have woken a couple of times with something like hic ups... all I have done is turn off my machine take off my mask for a minute and put it back on and go to sleep. Would it just be me not being in "sync" with the air blowing in?? just curious if anyone else has this.

Hi Urika, Yes I have experienced this too. I recently got a Resmed S9 ASV machine & being unused to the way it works I found myself attempting to breathe out whilst the machine was delivery a boost in pressure. The remedy for me was the same, turn off the machine. This re-set the ramp feature & I was able to go back to sleep. So the answer to what causes these hiccups, could, IMHO be, "trying to exhale against machine pressure". The expiration pressure is overcome by machine pressure sending the diaphragm into convulsions.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometime the cpap air goes into your gut. I have adjusted my pressure to keep this to a ok level. 

CPAP users who experience excessive belching, stomach bloating, stomach distension and agonizing gas pains may be suffering from aerophagia. ... Aerophagia occurs when air from a CPAP enters the esophagus and goes into the belly, rather than the airway and into the lungs

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.