Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hide the hammer I'd like to smash it! Feel worse then before I started
RE: Hide the hammer I'd like to smash it! Feel worse then before I started
(05-11-2013, 04:12 PM)John J Wrote:
(05-11-2013, 03:38 PM)Sleepster Wrote: By inducing central apneas.

And man, you do NOT want those!

CPAP-induced central apnea often subsides as the user adapts to CPAP therapy. Central apneas are no worse than obstructive apneas in that they have the same effect on oxygen levels. They are harder to treat, though.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2013, 12:43 AM)MsDixie Wrote: Here is the report for 4/17 - 5/7

Avg % night in PB - 0.1
Avg CA index - 2.2
Avg OA index - 1.5
Avg Hypopnea index - 2.6
Avg RERA index - 0.2
Avg AHI index - 6.3
Avg FL index - 0.0
Avg VS index - 7.2
Avg % night in Large Leak - 2.1
Avg Large Leek - 5 min 34 sec
I have C-flex set on my machine it's at a 3 is that supposed to be the easiest setting to exhale?

Hi MsDixie,

Turning C-flex down to 2 or 1 or Off may improve the CA Index (average number of clear airway apneas per hour).

But I think there is no need to reduce the C-flex setting right away, before you would be comfortable using a lower setting. Your CAI number is fairly small and not much larger than your OAI. Further, it is fairly common for the CAI to become smaller during the first few months of CPAP therapy as our system gets used to the pressure while sleeping.

Many think Philips Respironics C-flex is the same as ResMed EPR (Exhale Pressure Relief), but C-flex is different than EPR. Unlike using EPR, I think using C-flex can't increase the number of obstructive events when in CPAP mode (constant pressure mode, meaning not APAP mode), because, unlike EPR, with C-flex the reduction in pressure lasts less than half of the exhale time, returning to full pressure well before you are done exhaling. In one of my sleep studies C-flex was used and I hated it. I think C-flex is far less comfortable than EPR, but I can understand why PR decided to design C-flex that way - it provides pressure relief at least during the start of exhale and does not mess with the ending exhale pressure. The ending exhale pressure is very important in avoiding obstructive events. (I think using EPR on an APAP machine would not affect the number of obstructive events because the APAP algorithm can increase the base EPAP pressure as may be needed.)

But both Philips Respironics flex and ResMed EPR can increase (make worse) the CAI number, for the minority of patients who are susceptible to central events. Some long-time CPAP users have found that their CAI numbers improved a lot when they turned off flex or EPR.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2013, 05:14 PM)vsheline Wrote: Turning C-flex down to 2 or 1 or Off may improve the CA Index (average number of clear airway apneas per hour).

But both Philips Respironics flex and ResMed EPR can increase (make worse) the CAI number, for the minority of patients who are susceptible to central events. Some long-time CPAP users have found that their CAI numbers improved a lot when they turned off flex or EPR.

Flex/EPR/Exhale relief may make CA better or worse. You need to have a good, fully data capable machine, and examine the results as you vary it.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello fellow hose heads :-)
Thanks for all the helpful comments I've had a busy week and just getting back to the board.
Ill read back over tomorrow and try to take all advice in and understand it a bit better than tonight as I'm pushing to clock and need to be hooked up hosing and sleeping :-)

Since I've last post:
* now have heated hose ( Woo-Hoo luv it )
* trying a Bella mask with nasal pillows

I've worked on the leaks and have managed to keep leak level 0 for past few days :-)
My AHI for last night was down to 4
Ill give more through numbers tomorrow when on pc I'm on ipad now and software on pc
I'd love to post some of the pages but think maybe my being a new member doesn't allow me to yet?

The med supply RT ( DME? ) brought the hose out and new mask. He said my card goes to my doc and he reviews all the data info (so I feel good knowing that) he told me to give him a call mid week when he'd had a chance to read the most recent. He swapped my card for a new one and said he was sending that one to him

I'm feeling good about getting the leak level to 0 and feel from what I'm reading from y'all that's the only true way to distinguish what is and isn't caused from leaks.?
So working hard on that and being compliant with keeping the mask on at night. I'm just past 30 days and feel I'm making ground and feeling much more positive.
I'm not as tired as I was and am adjusting some to having a mask and hose on my head while sleeping - fighting it less. I'm determined to get to the point my ahi is 0 or as close as I can get.
Still having tiredness during the day, and a couple hour 'get it together' time after waking. For the most part though I do feel better, and mental clarity is returning. Feeling very hopeful last couple days I can see the prize ahead of me. It is all thanks to the advice and compassion and encouragement I have received from all of you here at this board. I thank you and wish all of us a good nights sleep! :-)

Ill get y'all some numbers tomorrow and see what ya think.
I'm still planning a visit to the doc and plan to discuss with him my being involved with awareness of my data so that we can work together for the best outcome.
Again, I really thank y'all!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there MsDixie. I'm brand new at the CPAP thing and everyone told me how hard it was going to be to get used to everything - mask, machine, etc. Well tonight is the 1st night I haven't been able to drop off easily but that's due to the fact that I have surgery scheduled for tomorrow. I have the Amara View full face mask and the only issue I've had with it is that the nose hole isn't wide enough and it's like I have a cold with one nostril plugged up. I found a good solution here which is to get a bigger size cushion. That will be here tomorrow. I have a pretty big advantage in that I only ever sleep on my back therefore no hose issues of the getting tangled type. Unfortunately the reason I only sleep on my back is due to a severe, permanent back injury. At any rate you could try the Amara View next. I like it because I AM claustrophobic and I can wear my glasses with it on too. Also thought I'd ask if you use the cheek snuggies? I do and they really help with strap comfort. I did without them for my nap today because one came off when I took the headgear off so I could stick the mask in the UV cleaning machine. By the time I got up I couldn't wait to get the straps off of my face. Since I can't sleep on my side, there are many mask & hose issues that I'll not be able to offer suggestions on but I wanted to throw in my two cents on the couple of things I do have knowledge of. I wish sweet dreams for you!?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BlueJay1969!

Unfortunately, MsDixie hasn’t been on the forum for quite a while now, but thanks for responding.  
This thread is from 2013, but since you resurrected it,  Smile I started to read through and found some information I’d forgotten about.

Just wanted to say Welcome to Apnea Board!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 7 221 Yesterday, 08:47 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 118 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 479 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 10 389 04-07-2024, 03:04 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 386 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 195 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 744 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.