Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High AHI (7.5) and don't know why
High AHI (7.5) and don't know why
So I was diagnosed and provided with a Philips Dreamstation two weeks ago. After going through a mask fitting session, I was given a ResMed Airfit F10 full face mask. I will admit it's a little difficult getting used to breathing air warmer than what I would like, but I've made sure to use the machine every single night for the entire night. My first couple of nights my AHI was 9.5, and then dropped to 6, and then one night where it was 2.3! Then I noticed I was having a lot of irritation on my face where the mask makes contact. I wash my face well every night and also wash the mask every morning. I went back to the sleep clinic and they gave me a Philips Amara View which fits quite differently. That mask worked well for a few nights, and then I was unable to get a good seal, and my AHI was about 9.5, so I went back to the Resmed mask and adjusted it a little looser. I still get a good seal, but it doesn't seem to irritate my skin, but I cannot get my AHI below 7.5. My pressure is set from 6-12 cm H20 and I keep the humidity relatively low and 2-3. Any suggestions? I'm going to call my doctor on Monday to ask them what they suggest, but figured I'd check here first.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High AHI (7.5) and don't know why
You're only into this for two weeks. You're still trying to figure out the mask.

For now, ignore the AHI. Get the mask comfort figured out first. Find a mask that you can wear, that you want to wear. Once you get that figured out, the AHI should settle on its own. Without a good mask, there's no use even looking at the AHI just yet.

Mask irritation can come from a few places. One would be heat contact. Your skin just gets hot and irritated from the silicone. After a few hours or nights, it starts to protest. Not much you can do except maybe try some of the mask liners to see if that helps. Another reason for skin irritation is contact allergy. That could be from the soap or from the silicone itself. Make sure you are rinsing the mask parts very, very well whenever you wash them. Use a mild soap or just use warm water. Also make sure you rinse your face very well, too. No lotions afterward.

Remember, this is all new to you and your body. Don't hesitate to keep trying masks. Don't force one to work. There's a lot of different masks out there!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 09:25 PM)fotomatt1 Wrote: I will admit it's a little difficult getting used to breathing air warmer than what I would like, but I've made sure to use the machine every single night for the entire night.

Congratulations on using the machine all the time. That's the first hurdle.

You can turn the humidifier down, or off. You'll still get some humidification, just less heat.

I agree with Paula about the mask. That's your next hurdle. If you have to switch back and forth between masks until you get it figured out, that's okay. It's also okay to ask for another mask. Most people have to do that.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fotomatt1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The mask is the most challenging part of this therapy, so don't be shy about asking to try different ones.
I wish you good luck on your CPAP journey and also with finding a mask that you like.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are driving at night without using headlights. In other words, without software, neither you nor we can pose a guess as to how to improve things. Download the free #Sleepyhead software, and get an understanding of what kind of events make up your AHI, and correlate at what pressures or time you may be having trouble, and where you seem to have success. We will be glad to help you to interpret the data. The links in my signature are to articles that will help you to organize and post your data to get the best results. Meanwhile, just keep at it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everybody for your input! I downloaded the sleepyhead software and will post my data later today. Wound up not using my machine last night because my wife was snoring so loud I had to sleep on the sofa! In the brief time I had it on last night I noticed a pressure increase and the starting pressure was at 6.5 instead of 6, so I think my doctor remotely adjusted? Is this how it works since my Dreamststion has a cellular modem?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine prescription can be adjusted remotely, but it is unusual for someone to do that without calling, or discussing, and especially on a Saturday. Since you are using a Dreamstation Auto set to a range of pressure, you may have the Opti-Start feature enabled. This automatically starts your next session closer to the 90% pressure of the previous session. You can disable that feature if you need to start lower, or use smart ramp.

All of these features and how to change settings, are described in the provider manual that ou can get by following the instructions in the CPAP Startup Manuals link at the top of this page. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your wife needs a sleep study! Two pap machines reside in our bedroom--a PR on my side and a RedMed on my husband's side. I have an Amara View that I haven't been able to get adjusted to after the much smaller Dreamwear and Wisp masks. It doesn't need to be too tight. I'm going to try again--just haven't wanted to break my string of less than one AHI/night with the two smaller masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok I've got sleepyhead software installed....any specific way you'd like the data posted? Screen shots? PDF report?
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok...not sure why but it's telling me I cannot post image links because I haven't posted on this forum enough?? Huh
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 696 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 118 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 213 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.