Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High AHI after weeks of use
High AHI after weeks of use
Hi!

This is my first post on here so I'm sorry if I leave anything out:

I am a 29 year old male who was diagnosed with mild OSA earlier this month. My initial sleep study reported:

"There were a total of 12 apneas ( 3 obstructive, 1 mixed, 7 central) and 33 hypopneas. The
apnea/hypopnea index (AHI) was 5.4 events/hour. The central sleep apnea index was 0.8 events/hour.
Respiratory disturbances were associated with oxygen desaturation down to a nadir of 90%. The mean oxygen
saturation during the study was 95%. The cumulative time under or = 88% oxygen saturation was 0 minutes."

I have been using APAP for about two weeks and I feel as though it is helping. The problem I am having is my AHI has averaged about 12 over the past couple weeks of use with 100 percent mask fit. Last night I recorded over 8 hours of use and an AHI of 12.2 (62 Clear Airway Apneas, 10 Total Obstructive Apneas and 36 Total Hypopneas). I do wake up feeling rested but I would like to resolve some of these AHI issues. It's just puzzling to me that the initial sleep study had a much lower AHI than the machine has been reporting. Could it be an issue with the machine? I have tried the dreamware nasal mask and the "full" mask and I feel the full one has worked better since I do breath through my mouth occasionally during the night. My supply company increased the min pressure from 6 to 8 in an effort to lower AHI. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I do have OSCAR data I can upload, just let me know what would be helpful.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High AHI after weeks of use
Welcome to the Apena Board forum, Oscar reports will help to see what is going on with your apena's. It might be just a few adjustments to your Cpap machine to bring them down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I'm not sure exactly what reports will be needed but here's the overview and a shot of last night and the night prior.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You will Get some very experienced people commenting. But I’m pretty sure that you have what is known as positional apnea. You can look that up on the WIKI to read more about it but I also have a link to the cervical collar that you might want to look at, it is what they call is a chin tuck.  You put your chin down while sleeping and cut off your air. You can not fix that with pressure you have to find a way not to drop your chin while asleep.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
There is some tucking but I'd like to minimize your centrals and attack your RERAs, Flow Limits, and hypopneas first

Turn your flex off, this should improve your centrals
Increase your min pressure to 8 to treat your hypopneas RERAs and Flow Limits
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, sounds good. The pressure was already at 8 as of last night so I changed the FLEX to off. Thanks! Fingers crossed!
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, bump it to 9 min tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Heres an update from last night. I did attempt to take a nap in the early afternoon so that is what that early data is from, didn't last long.

Post Reply Post Reply
Added a soft neck collar and smaller pillow, got the AHI down to 7.89! Not perfect but its moving in the right direction. I did wake up a few times to readjust things since I was getting used to the collar.

Post Reply Post Reply
keep working on it, you still have some positional clusters toward the end of your night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 321 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,427 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.