Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High Altitude CPAP
High Altitude CPAP
A question just occurred to me. I spend about 4 weeks a year at about a week at a time at an altitude of around 5200 feet. Shhh are there any changes that need to be made as a result of the altitude or are there any things that I should look out for?

I have searched the forum somewhat and it looks like above 8500 feet there might be some pressure adjustment to make up for less oxygen per cubic liter of air. The pressure itself is self regulation since it is the relative not the absolute pressure.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High Altitude CPAP
Operating altitude: Sea level to 2,591 m .... 8500 ft
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ac_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Possible different settings needed for humidity. With the location change, you may find the setting you use to be a bit off what is needed at the new location.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Like zonk said, you won't need any adjustment. The machines now self-adjust up to a certain elevation. After that, it's a matter of doing some math. But at 5K feet, you're covered so no sweat.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I used mine around 8,000 ft for about a week with no problems except for my whizzing after a walk!
Post Reply Post Reply
At 5200 feet some people will notice a small increase in central events. An excellent article based in the Rocky Mountains suggests that the average number of central events at this altitude would be around 7 per hour compared with less than 5 per hour at a lower altitude. At 7100 feet it would be an average of over 19 central events per hour. Therefore you may notice a small increase in your AHI.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22171199

The likely explanation for this is that the reduction in Oxygen levels induces relative overbreathing (hyperventilation) which increases the chance of the Carbon Dioxide level dropping below the CO2 apnea threshold and causing central events. This is a similar principle (without the low O2) to CPAP induced central events or Complex sleep apnea.
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply
I also noticed at a lower elevation the machine also get quieter:-) I live at 1226m, and it is noisier than at 400m.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 10:10 AM)Hun Wrote: I also noticed at a lower elevation the machine also get quieter:-) I live at 1226m, and it is noisier than at 400m.

Interesting observation. Maybe the pump needs to run a little harder to achieve the same back pressure.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 694 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 213 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.