Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is this a scam by the provider?
RE: Is this a scam by the provider?
Paula, how many machines has Medicare bought for you? If more than one, do they go the 'rental route' each time?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is my second machine. The first one, an S7, was rented for like 3 yrs. In that time, they could have bought me at least 4 machines. Then it switched over to a lower pay of rental that covered any repairs. So when I got my S9, they (the DME) actually asked for it back.

My current machine was a rental as well. I don't think they are paying for it still. Again, in this time, they could have bought at least two for the price of this one.

Medicare is infamously overpaying for stuff. They 'rent' a machine because folks get better, right? They'd rather rent, with the theory of me getting better and turning the machine back in. They don't look at the condition and fit the plan to that condition. Somethings they do, but most things they don't.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2012, 07:24 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Medicare is infamously overpaying for stuff. They 'rent' a machine because folks get better, right? They'd rather rent, with the theory of me getting better and turning the machine back in. They don't look at the condition and fit the plan to that condition. Somethings they do, but most things they don't.

My take was that Medicare rents the machine at first because of the high non-compliance rate.

I do agree that they overpay a lot. And there is a lot of ripping off going on in CPAP machine marketing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare has never asked me for compliance data. Never. So they'd not know who is or is not using their rented machines.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DreamStation 2 Advanced Provider ManualIII Clay L 2 270 01-28-2024, 08:03 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  First post, provider is not much help. DPAlaska 2 271 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DPAlaska
  DME Provider Recos cincysinner 5 334 01-25-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 modem/provider mystery richapple 4 567 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Provider Manual for BMC? cpapuser2348 1 259 12-21-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Bleep Eclipse DME Provider corgan115 10 2,274 11-01-2023, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.