Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High Hypopnea#s
High Hypopnea#s
Hi there!  New to the boards here...

My hypopnea #s can vary from 11(lowest once) to 76(highest once) - should I be concerned about low oxygen levels?  most often, it's anywhere from 20-something to 40-something and then popping up over 50-60 once a week or ten days.

My Clear Away and Obstructive #s can be from 0&0 to as high as 10&12 but in any combination.  Clear aways are usually 0-3 and Obstructive maybe 1-6 and then for whatever reason, spiking high.

And combining all the #s into AHI, in whatever combinations they've been, my lowest has been 1 and highest, 9.7 but usually reading from high 4.something to about 6ish.  5.somethings are most common.

I haven't consulted with the tech who issued the machine since 2 weeks after I got it and haven't talked to my dr since the beginning of Feb, main reason being I went on a 3 week vacation to Central America (took my machine with me) and then got pneumonia when I got home and got treatment from a walk in clinic.

At the beginning of Feb when I saw my GP, she said to use it for awhile and see if the #s evened out.  And up till now, I've been waiting for the 6wk xray to make sure I'm clear of pneumonia.  Strangely enough, my very best AHIs were on my sickest days of pneumonia... AHIs of 2 & 1, and then it all started to climb again.

I know I'm feeling much more clear minded than before my machine, but not feeling as good as I'd like.

Unfortunately, I was very sick with one of those respiratory viruses in Jan for about 2 weeks and I believe it was a residual of that that brought on the pneumonia.  I kept telling the people I was travelling with that I nevwer would have been able to keep up with them if I hadn't had my CPAP with me, but toward the end of the trip, going up 3 flights of stairs would leave me gasping for air..... I started getting chills and fever 5 days after I got home and went to the walk in clinic 4 days after that.  Pneumonia is brutal. hahaha  In all of that sickness, though, I haven't missed a night!

ALLLLL that to say, it's been hard to track how well the CPAP is working for me but I AM concerned about the hypopnea numbers.

So I hope that's all understandable!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High Hypopnea#s
A few hypopneas each hour is to be expected for those of us with OSA.  As your numbers rise, though, it stands to reason that you are becoming increasingly poorly oxygenated over time.  Pick the time period...a minute, an hour, all night long......with hypopneas and obstructive events rising in number, you can be virtually assured that your saturation is being compromised.

That understood, let's take a deep breath and look critically, analytically, at those numbers.  They may be fluctuating, but they hover closely around the 'treated' number of 5 for AHI.  I believe some well-meaning people with a lot of experience will soon chime in and help you to fine tune your machine's settings to get them under 5 almost all the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi S. Ann,

Welcome to the forum.  I assume you getting your numbers from Dream Mapper which gives you very limited data.  I suggest you down load sleepy head which will give you very detailed data with which you can dial in your settings.

I assume that you will need to raise your minimum pressure to help clear up your hypopneas.  But we need to see what Sleepy Head shows before I would recommend doing so.  What is your 90% pressure in Dream Mapper?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2018, 07:58 PM)Fedman Wrote: Hi S. Ann,

Welcome to the forum.  I assume you getting your numbers from Dream Mapper which gives you very limited data.  I suggest you down load sleepy head which will give you very detailed data with which you can dial in your settings.

I assume that you will need to raise your minimum pressure to help clear up your hypopneas.  But we need to see what Sleepy Head shows before I would recommend doing so.  What is your 90% pressure in Dream Mapper?

Hi, Fedman, thank you!

Yes, all I have is Dream Mapper and I will definitely download sleepyhead tonight.  I didn't know something like that was available to me.

90% pressure ranges from mid 5's to the highest is 9 a couple times.  I have no idea what that means...

My ramp starts at 4 and the highest I've seen it is 8.something and that's high enough to wake me up.
Post Reply Post Reply
S. Ann

Welcome to the forum. I have received great advice and help from this forum and I feel you will also.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the group S.Ann!

Sorry to hear you've been so sick. Fever Hope you're feeling better each day.  

I also have used the DreamWear nasal pillow mask in addition to buying their gel nasal pillows as well which fit on the same mask (headgear etc).  You might want to play around with the mask in how you tighten/loosen it to try and bring your AHI down.  I know even when I have mine optimally worn I get higher AHI numbers than I do wearing the ResMed P10's mask.  Aside from the hose hanging down and not being at the top of one's head as in the DreamWear, I have to say I love the P10's the best.  They are very popular at least on our forum amongst users, you may want to have a look at one.  Anyways, try out this link to get the best mask fit you can (it helped me):    

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

Good luck and welcome!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
90% pressure means that your unit spent 90% of the time at that pressure or lower.  A simple rule of thumb is that your minimum pressure should be set at 2 cm lower than your 90% pressure.  This is especially true for those of us who use Respironics machines.  In my case, my 90% pressure averages around 9.5 and my minimum pressure is 8.5.  This setting clean up my hypopneas very well and my average AHI is consistently below one.  My prescribed minimum pressure is 7 and at that setting my average AHI was around 2.5 with a majority of hypopnea events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it an obstructive hypopnoe or a central one?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 124 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 689 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,412 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 212 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.