Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High Pressure Causing Problems - please explain leak data
Surprised 
High Pressure Causing Problems - please explain leak data
I am getting into my loopy phase because I am going on poor sleep for the past 4-5 nights in a row.  I woke up at 5 am to check data b/c i wasn't sure what was happening.  I am seeking any advice on what might have been happening and what I can do better.

SH May 12th, 2017

My Notes from last night:

First 5 hours - AHI 18 - 76 OA's
2 mg of lunesta
back slept 99% of time
slept from 11:15 - 5 am ish. machine was mostly at 16 (which i max)
swallowed a ton of air from high pressure.
felt leaks from high pressure

Second 3 hours -AHI 8 - 12 OA's
looked at data at 5 am, determined leak. decided to sleep on side.
slept better - pressure never got above 11
replaced xylimelts in mouth for dry mouth (don't think was a factor)

Other relevant info is that I almost exclusively back sleep.  So my increase in OA's the last several nights are hard to figure out. 

Leaking Question:

Also, can someone please explain how to read the leak rate and total leaks data.  I don't understand this.  Up until this week (when pressure has gotten over 12 cm) I have not experienced any leaks at all.  So I haven't educated myself about them.

Should I tighten my mask at higher pressure?

Air Swallow Question:

I am swallowing a lot of air at higher pressures.  I am attempting the tongue suck at the back of my throat, but clearly not effective yet.  Is this yet another thing that people have adapted to?   Any other tips for not swallowing air?  I wake up with tons of gas.  Dont-know

Thanks for any information.  I appreciate any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High Pressure Causing Problems - please explain leak data
I just posted this link in another thread, as it is a good source for anyone wanting to learn more about leaks.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Head#Leaks
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 07:48 AM)Zand or435 Wrote: Air Swallow Question:

I am swallowing a lot of air at higher pressures.  I am attempting the tongue suck at the back of my throat, but clearly not effective yet.  Is this yet another thing that people have adapted to?   Any other tips for not swallowing air?  I wake up with tons of gas.  Dont-know

I have this same problem too, frustrating
Post Reply Post Reply
Swallowing air is known as Aerophagia.  

Some things to try:
Sleep slightly elevated.  Sleeping on your side is preferable, although I realize not always possible due to hip and shoulder pain.

Keep working on the tongue suck technique.

One thing that works well for many of us here is to use a soft cervical collar or a small neck cushion positioned in the front of your neck.  This helps to keep the jaw/mouth from dropping open, therefore prevents mouth breathing.  Also, for those of you who mouth breath, you may see a lower leak rate if your leaks are caused from mouth breathing.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your system is not detecting any high leaks, so the leaks are not material. What were the settings of your titration? You may have a lot of positional stuff going on where the best solution is to use whatever method that works to keep you from sleeping on your back, such as body pillows, tennis balls on the back, whatever. I wonder about the titration numbers because it looks to me like the pressure goes up so high its waking you up, and causing a lot of sleep disruption and events fro that constant waking up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 07:48 AM)Zandor435 Wrote: I am getting into my loopy phase because I am going on poor sleep for the past 4-5 nights in a row.  I woke up at 5 am to check data b/c i wasn't sure what was happening.  I am seeking any advice on what might have been happening and what I can do better.

SH May 12th, 2017

My Notes from last night:

First 5 hours - AHI 18 - 76 OA's
2 mg of lunesta
back slept 99% of time
slept from 11:15 - 5 am ish. machine was mostly at 16 (which i max)
swallowed a ton of air from high pressure.
felt leaks from high pressure

Second 3 hours -AHI 8 - 12 OA's
looked at data at 5 am, determined leak. decided to sleep on side.
slept better - pressure never got above 11
replaced xylimelts in mouth for dry mouth (don't think was a factor)

Other relevant info is that I almost exclusively back sleep.  So my increase in OA's the last several nights are hard to figure out. 

Leaking Question:

Also, can someone please explain how to read the leak rate and total leaks data.  I don't understand this.  Up until this week (when pressure has gotten over 12 cm) I have not experienced any leaks at all.  So I haven't educated myself about them.

Should I tighten my mask at higher pressure?

Air Swallow Question:

The graph with the abundant Obstructives is more than likely due from sleeping on your back as you stated. I imagine that on your back, your chin starts to drop into your chest. The second part of your night from 5am, you were sleeping on your side, and had much better numbers.

You should try to do whatever you can to sleep on your side, but if not possible, try the "soft" cervical collar. Many of us have had better results using this especially when on your back. A chin strap if not worn right can pull your jaw back. That is not what you want. A soft cervical collar will keep the chin from tucking into your chest.
You need to make sure you order the right size. Not too tight nor too loose. Measure your neck for circumference and height. Amazon sells many sizes.

The main thing is to do whatever it takes to get better uninterrupted sleep. See my post above concerning swallowing air. The collar may help.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 1 28 40 minutes ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 16 1,874 2 hours ago
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 56 5 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 50 10 hours ago
Last Post: xaid
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 53 11 hours ago
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 80 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 60 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.