Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High Pressure PAPers
RE: High Pressure PAPers
Just a thought? For whatever reason, if I use nasal pillows, I find I can *lower* my pressure by 1 to 2. Do not know if others have noticed this, or ifI am just weird?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2014, 09:25 PM)me50 Wrote: Galactus

Was it your sleep tech that said you couldn't try on more masks or the RT at the DME's office? I know that Apria won't let anyone try on masks at all. You can look at them but you can't touch so to speak. I have no clue how anyone can choose a mask that way.

Not sure what state you are in but if this is what your DME is telling you, you may want to look around. I finally found a great DME after almost 3 years of being on the machine.

Whoever told you that you can't try other masks is wrong. You may have to wait until your 3 months to order another one if you have insurance but you can try as many as you want to.

Ok, I don't know all the abbreviations just yet, RT, DME, etc., I was at Apria though, on that point you are correct. And it was their person that was getting me the machine and the mask, and they were the people who said I could not try on another mask.

And yes again, not that I couldn't get another mask in 3 months or whatever period, but that now I couldn't keep trying different ones's till I found the one I liked.

Having found this site though I found suppliers, and some appear to have 30 day return policies, even on masks, so I could buy a mask or two or three and try them, and find and pick one that works best and I like and return the others. So I'm not sure what to do yet. But that is what I am thinking.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 12:12 AM)Galactus Wrote:

Was it your sleep tech that said you couldn't try on more masks or the RT at the DME's office? I know that Apria won't let anyone try on masks at all. You can look at them but you can't touch so to speak. I have no clue how anyone can choose a mask that way.

Not sure what state you are in but if this is what your DME is telling you, you may want to look around. I finally found a great DME after almost 3 years of being on the machine.

Whoever told you that you can't try other masks is wrong. You may have to wait until your 3 months to order another one if you have insurance but you can try as many as you want to.

Ok, I don't know all the abbreviations just yet, RT, DME, etc., I was at Apria though, on that point you are correct. And it was their person that was getting me the machine and the mask, and they were the people who said I could not try on another mask.

And yes again, not that I couldn't get another mask in 3 months or whatever period, but that now I couldn't keep trying different ones's till I found the one I liked.

Having found this site though I found suppliers, and some appear to have 30 day return policies, even on masks, so I could buy a mask or two or three and try them, and find and pick one that works best and I like and return the others. So I'm not sure what to do yet. But that is what I am thinking.

RT is Respiratory Therapist
DME is like Apria (I would recommend you looking for another DME). If they let you try on masks, you are fortunate. Here they would only let you look at what they had on the heads but they didn't have any you could try on. I could tell you about so many issues I had with Apria in just 4 months with them. They wouldn't send out my supplies until I paid for them first. Then, I got a statement from them asking for me to pay and I had already paid it. They billed my insurance company for 2 masks that I never received. If it had not been for the sleep lab (since Apria didn't order my mask for me or credit my insurance company, I wasn't allowed to order another one; after they ordered the wrong chin strap for me, they never ordered the correct one....so much more but I will stop there) I wouldn't have had a mask. They owe 3 credits to my insurance company and my insurance company said that they know about their billing errors and are working with Apria to get them straightened out. Apria also is now making their customers provide a credit card which I refused to do. They make too many mistakes and I didn't want to have to fix those too if they billed me for things I didn't get or that they ordered wrong and I returned.

If you can handle all this kind of mess and more, I commend you. I was not willing to and they picked up my machine last Friday.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 12:25 AM)me50 Wrote:
(01-20-2014, 12:12 AM)Galactus Wrote:

RT is Respiratory Therapist
DME is like Apria (I would recommend you looking for another DME). If they let you try on masks, you are fortunate. Here they would only let you look at what they had on the heads but they didn't have any you could try on. I could tell you about so many issues I had with Apria in just 4 months with them. They wouldn't send out my supplies until I paid for them first. Then, I got a statement from them asking for me to pay and I had already paid it. They billed my insurance company for 2 masks that I never received. If it had not been for the sleep lab (since Apria didn't order my mask for me or credit my insurance company, I wasn't allowed to order another one; after they ordered the wrong chin strap for me, they never ordered the correct one....so much more but I will stop there) I wouldn't have had a mask. They owe 3 credits to my insurance company and my insurance company said that they know about their billing errors and are working with Apria to get them straightened out. Apria also is now making their customers provide a credit card which I refused to do. They make too many mistakes and I didn't want to have to fix those too if they billed me for things I didn't get or that they ordered wrong and I returned.

If you can handle all this kind of mess and more, I commend you. I was not willing to and they picked up my machine last Friday.

Ok thanks for the abbreviation info Big Grin

As to Apria, I don't have anything bad to say about them (yet), except initially getting in touch with them was horrible at best. But when I finally did get through they were nothing but nice. their tech was a great person, and she was very thorough. They just made it sound as if this was like trying on underwear and there was no way they could do that.

Now how a supplier on the list here allows returns on masks is something I don't get but it would seem to be a logical way to try other masks, and get the right one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did Apria ask you to give them a credit or debit card before you got your machine (if you got your machine from them) or to pay for your supplies before they would ship them? The RT was nice enough but they made many mistakes in my orders and billed my insurance for items I didn't get so my insurance company wouldn't let me order a mask. Yea, I think they send them back to the manufacturer if they are returned. Hopefully you have medical insurance so if there are problems, they will deal with Apria for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
*I* do not like Apria either, and I'm in Ohio.

I use vendor #1 a lot, and about the 30 day return?It is no muss, no fuss, but you will be out the shipping cost you paid, the refund is only on the price of the mask. No hassles otherwise, just that $20 bucks here and there can add up for me.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 12:51 AM)me50 Wrote: Did Apria ask you to give them a credit or debit card before you got your machine (if you got your machine from them) or to pay for your supplies before they would ship them? The RT was nice enough but they made many mistakes in my orders and billed my insurance for items I didn't get so my insurance company wouldn't let me order a mask. Yea, I think they send them back to the manufacturer if they are returned. Hopefully you have medical insurance so if there are problems, they will deal with Apria for you.

Apria did supply the machine, as well as the mask, and the demonstration, fitting, etc. They did not ask for a credit card of any kind.

By the way, to anyone that is being asked for a credit card for any reason, and has misgivings about providing it for any reason, I have found a very simple solution. I have done one of two things; 1- Buy a prefilled visa/mastercard at any store or online, they sell them everywhere now, some are even free if you put a certain amount on them initially etc. Then use the card till there is all but $1-$5 on it. Then you can give the number away freely. If you are buying something you know you should pay for put the money on the card, otherwise leave the $1 or $2 there just for that "preauth" they all do, and this way no one can charge you unless you have agreed to it prior and know about it. 2- Go to your bank and open a second bank account, or better yet go to a new bank and open a new account, get a debit visa/mastercard, and keep $10 on deposit. Same results, complete freedom, no worries of being overcharged or just charged or anything. A word of caution if using a bank debit card, be sure to tell them that you do not want any overdraft protection on the account whatsoever. Otherwise someone could charge you the bank pays it and charges you additional fees. As this is not the desired goal you tell them in advance. I have been doing this for many years and it works perfectly. If I try a new company and I am skeptical I use my $0 balance card and if they steal my card number they get nothing, complete internet safety as well, etc. Hope this info can help others.

(01-20-2014, 01:05 AM)Peter_C Wrote: *I* do not like Apria either, and I'm in Ohio.

I use vendor #1 a lot, and about the 30 day return?It is no muss, no fuss, but you will be out the shipping cost you paid, the refund is only on the price of the mask. No hassles otherwise, just that $20 bucks here and there can add up for me.

It is great to hear they will just take them back with no hassle. I am not rich or anything, but the $20 seems a reasonable price to pay to try and get a mask I am happy with, especially since no one here will allow me to try anything different. Also, with the usps doing flat rate boxes and the like and the vendor I saw being just a state over it would seem I could get the return shipping down to $5 or so. But really I just want a mask that would be nice and comfy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hear what you are saying, but I don't give a DME a credit/debit card for any reason. If they want my business, they will bill my supplies to me. I told Apria when they asked for the card that I would take my business somewhere else and to please give me my prescription. They insisted they didn't need my card info then. I am glad I refused because they have made so many mistakes that they would have screwed up my bank account by billing for things I didn't get or that I returned. My insurance paid 100% last year but not this year. I got a statement from Apria for supplies that I paid for because they refused to ship them if I didn't pay for them. They don't pay attention to what they are doing and they could have caused a lot of issues with my bills being paid. If a DME won't bill me, then I will look elsewhere for a DME that will. I wish you much better service than I and many others have gotten from Apria.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the hans rudolph full face mask, although i am at a pressure of 11, i have a friend who is on pressure of 20, had same problems as you and when he switched to the same mask i have his leak problems reduced greatly, might want to give it a try
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 01:45 PM)me50 Wrote: I hear what you are saying, but I don't give a DME a credit/debit card for any reason. If they want my business, they will bill my supplies to me. I told Apria when they asked for the card that I would take my business somewhere else and to please give me my prescription. They insisted they didn't need my card info then. I am glad I refused because they have made so many mistakes that they would have screwed up my bank account by billing for things I didn't get or that I returned. My insurance paid 100% last year but not this year. I got a statement from Apria for supplies that I paid for because they refused to ship them if I didn't pay for them. They don't pay attention to what they are doing and they could have caused a lot of issues with my bills being paid. If a DME won't bill me, then I will look elsewhere for a DME that will. I wish you much better service than I and many others have gotten from Apria.

I totally understand where you are coming from. There are just times when I can't be bothered to argue with these people. There are also so many times where this helpful when ordering from places you aren't sure of. But I do agree with you as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 124 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 688 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 102 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,412 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 211 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 294 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.