High RERA Numbers
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

RE: High RERA Numbers
(11-30-2015 10:23 PM)SideSleeper Wrote:  I appreciate the information--anyone else with opinions, suggestions, etc?

Bilevel is the standard treatment to reduce RERAs. But in some patients bilevel therapy tends to cause a larger number of Central Apneas. So it may be a trade off, less RERA for higher centrals. But I think centrals, if short, might not cause arousals and therefore for some patients don't cause the stress and excessive daytime sleepiness which RERAs and hypopneas and obstructive apneas cause.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
12-01-2015 04:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SideSleeper Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DS560HS REMstar Auto-A Flex+ +
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp & Dreamwear
Humidifier: Respironics System One
CPAP Pressure: APAP 11-11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(12-01-2015 04:47 AM)vsheline Wrote:  
(11-30-2015 10:23 PM)SideSleeper Wrote:  I appreciate the information--anyone else with opinions, suggestions, etc?

Bilevel is the standard treatment to reduce RERAs. But in some patients bilevel therapy tends to cause a larger number of Central Apneas. So it may be a trade off, less RERA for higher centrals. But I think centrals, if short, might not cause arousals and therefore for some patients don't cause the stress and excessive daytime sleepiness which RERAs and hypopneas and obstructive apneas cause.

Thanks I did quite a bit of searching last night and found out RERAs can reduce oxygen significantly. Now I have some information from what I've read and what has been shared to ask intelligent questions of my care providers!
12-01-2015 02:04 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(12-01-2015 02:04 PM)SideSleeper Wrote:  I did quite a bit of searching last night and found out RERAs can reduce oxygen significantly. Now I have some information from what I've read and what has been shared to ask intelligent questions of my care providers!

Be sure to read up on RDI. It is better than AHI as a measure of treatment success.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_disturbance_index

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
12-01-2015 04:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SideSleeper Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

I read that very same Wiki article--plus as lot more. Lots of info out there.
12-01-2015 04:39 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

That is the major flaw in my S9.... It doesnt report RERA and my sleep study showed them to be significant!

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
12-01-2015 04:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

(12-01-2015 04:51 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  That is the major flaw in my S9.... It doesnt report RERA and my sleep study showed them to be significant!

Right, the S9 AutoSet does not report an estimate for the number of RERA events, but at least it does raise the pressure in response to Flow Limitation, which tends to eliminate the cause of RERA events.

Also, it has EPR which is a limited form of bilevel therapy and which tends to reduce Flow Limitation and the number of RERA events.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 11:24 PM by vsheline.)
12-01-2015 11:17 PM
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

(12-01-2015 11:17 PM)vsheline Wrote:  Right, the S9 AutoSet does not report an estimate for the number of RERA events, but at least it does raise the pressure in response to Flow Limitation, which tends to eliminate the cause of RERA events.

Also, it has EPR which is a limited form of bilevel therapy and which tends to reduce Flow Limitation and the number of RERA events.

Good point - and I do run a fairly wide pressure range with EPR3 fulltime. Moving to bilevel is something I have talked to my doc about and he said he thinks its not a bad idea and will do that for me, but I opted to wait until my S9 was paid for first Big Grin which it now is. The main reason for starting at 8 instead of 9 or 10 is that it worsens the water retention problem markedly --- EPR mitigates that, and according to research bilevel would help even more.

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2015 11:45 AM by DariaVader.)
12-02-2015 11:43 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SideSleeper Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Good point - and I do run a fairly wide pressure range with EPR3 fulltime. Moving to bilevel is something I have talked to my doc about and he said he thinks its not a bad idea and will do that for me, but I opted to wait until my S9 was paid for first Big Grin which it now is. The main reason for starting at 8 instead of 9 or 10 is that it worsens the water retention problem markedly --- EPR mitigates that, and according to research bilevel would help even more.
[/quote]

I hadn't heard of water retention when talking about XPAP before, or is that just a problem you have?

Saw my DME tech today and he surprised me. He wasn't anti-software as I thought and was really interested in Sleephead and what I was learning. He agreedI should talk to my cardiologist and get overnight pulse oximeter tests to check on O2 levels because of the RERAS numbers. Last night was one of my best--AHI .7. no CSRs, 5 hypopneas, no OAs and only 8 RERAs--the lowest ever. I have a cold and didn't sleep a lot--managed to keep my mask on all night but was awake more than usual. He told me to talk to my sleep doc about changing to APAP and I got a smaller frame for my DreamWear mask. I'm very happy with A Turning Leaf Medical Supply! Thanks to all who replied to this message--great people here!
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2015 11:20 PM by SideSleeper.)
12-02-2015 11:19 PM
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

Long thread - but yes, it is an issue for some.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...=retention

12-03-2015 12:09 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SideSleeper Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(12-03-2015 12:09 AM)DariaVader Wrote:  Long thread - but yes, it is an issue for some.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...=retention

Thank you for this link. I need to watch that it doesn't become an issue for me asI already have some edema in my legs and am on lasix (heart and blood pressure).
12-03-2015 12:57 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Explanation of RE and RERA on Sleepyhead sleepytimegal 6 212 Yesterday 03:12 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,179 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher
  High AHI (7.5) and don't know why fotomatt1 15 590 11-20-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Hypoxic- No Apneas- Pressure Too High? beardog 13 614 11-08-2016 06:19 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Leaks (Too high?) sleepytimegal 9 416 11-06-2016 09:58 PM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
Gross RERA Problem SideSleeper 24 1,002 11-02-2016 04:11 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  numbers scottb908 2 222 10-30-2016 10:59 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred